• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 vagansmom

vagansmom

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:53 PM

Just read this very sad news. Mr. Hijuelos was only 62. I first read his Mr. Ives' Christmas and was so taken by that novel that I set out to read most of his others. Although The Mambo Kings Play Songs of Love won him the Pulitzer - and I loved it - there are very few novels that have stirred me as deeply as his story about Mr. Ives' internal crisis following his son's violent death. I lived within that book for many days afterward. For a few years, it was the novel that I measured all others against, and most of them fell short. I'm so sorry his voice has been silenced. 

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,207 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

Nice to hear from you, vagansmom, although the news you report is sad indeed. I've only read The Mambo Kings...., a very special book. He leaves us much too soon.

NYT obit.

A New Yorker by birth, education and residence, Mr. Hijuelos (pronounced ee-HWAY-los) was said to have been more American-Cuban than Cuban-American.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):