rg

Marie (Mim) Rambert and dancers, 1944

6 posts in this topic

f.y.i. scan of a newsphoto with Rambert and her company dancers, duly captioned as a wartime occurrence.

post-848-0-55521300-1381418921_thumb.jpg

post-848-0-89529000-1381418979_thumb.jpg

The hostel's game room looks a little like a parking garage. "Tsarist Russia"... rhymes with "Communist Russia"... I wonder if the photo was chosen because of the semblence to aircraft flying in formation...

When I was studying at the Mercury Theatre location of the old "Rambert School of Ballet", Madame Rambert sometimes sat in the entry-office, which I seem to recall had two glass walls, making it impossible to sneak by without being seen.

She must have been very, very old then, and at least the students were a bit in awe of her, though none of us ever heard her speak or anything. We had all heard stories....

:)

-d-

Diane, may I ask you when you were studying there? I was there in the late fifties. The teacher I liked most was Eileen Ward.

When I first saw this, I assumed they were using hte I-Beams as barres. Now I wonder -- what is Madame screaming about? and i notice the last girl in the row is amazingly serene and it looks like she's doing a penchee in 4th arabesque on her own....