This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Marie (Mim) Rambert and dancers, 1944the war years

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,492 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:30 AM

f.y.i. scan of a newsphoto with Rambert and her company dancers, duly captioned as a wartime occurrence.

Attached Files

#2 sandik

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:03 AM

Oh, that's exactly how I think of her!

#3 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:10 PM

The hostel's game room looks a little like a parking garage. "Tsarist Russia"... rhymes with "Communist Russia"... I wonder if the photo was chosen because of the semblence to aircraft flying in formation...

#4 diane

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:38 AM

When I was studying at the Mercury Theatre location of the old "Rambert School of Ballet", Madame Rambert sometimes sat in the entry-office, which I seem to recall had two glass walls, making it impossible to sneak by without being seen. 

She must have been very, very old then, and at least the students were a bit in awe of her, though none of us ever heard her speak or anything. We had all heard stories.... 

#5 Pamela Moberg

Pamela Moberg

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:14 PM

Diane, may I ask you when you were studying there? I was there in the late fifties. The teacher I liked most was Eileen Ward.

#6 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:36 PM

When I first saw this, I assumed they were using hte I-Beams as barres. Now I wonder -- what is Madame screaming about? and i notice the last girl in the row is amazingly serene and it looks like she's doing a penchee in 4th arabesque on her own....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):