This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Happy Feet

In a rare exception to our "Ballet Only" policy in the ballet forums, I'll leave this thread and add:

I mean, how do you even practice that?

I picked this Astaire, because Rogers' dress has a life of its own:

If Carlos Saura hasn't filmed it, chances are the best Flamenco dancing is captured on cell phone cameras with waiters and patrons walking past. This is no exception; the dancing starts at about 1'12". "Alegrias" is the closest thing Flamenco has to happy:

"Guapo" pretty much sums it up.

What always knocks me flat about the finale of Konservatoriet is that grand plie right before the end. All that jumping, all that terre a terre picky stuff, and then you have to go down, down, down and up, up, up like you're totally at ease. People think contemporary dancers are stronger than their ancestors -- they don't know what they're talking about !

I picked this Astaire, because Rogers' dress has a life of its own:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOYzFKizikU

Interesting. "Cheek to Cheek" has always struck me as an almost ceremonial dance of passion and courtship. For Astaire and Rogers in happy feet mode, I'd select this one. (Note the dance contest context - the other dancers on the floor are not actors but "real people like yourself" as Lily Tomlin used to say, and they're not so bad. Then watch Fred and Ginger turn on the afterburners......