This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Bayerische Staatsoper-two Free Ballet Live Streams in 2014

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 yudi

yudi

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:47 PM

Too bad I missed it! I really like to see Lucia Lacarra's dancing in a full-length ballet like this. On YouTube I have seen few short ballet programs, e.g., Thais, Bolero, ..., in which she danced beautifully. Lacarra is a lyrical dancer, a Roland Petit's favorite. BTW, Solor Marlon Dino is her husband. Hope some people would have recorded and put it on YouTube.

ermm.gif

#17 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:31 AM

I was able to watch only the first half before I had to leave for a live performance.

There are some small photographs of the production on the company's web site. http://www.bayerisch...togallerie.html Designer Tomio Mohri used stylized, decorative backdrops rather than anything quasi-realistic. There was no sacred fire. I was grateful for the absence of bare midriffs and bikini tops. Counting ballerina ribs is usually my least favorite aspect of La Bayadère. The High Brahmin's collar of large petals looked bad every time he raised his arms to shoulder level or higher, and I'm sure the little pagoda on his head wasn't easy to balance. I also thought the lamp-shade headdresses worn by the supers looked silly.

There are no fakirs in this production. The D'Jampe dance is performed at an insane speed and in soft shoes. In the betrothal scene we saw parrots and the Drum Dance, but no Manu. I'm guessing the Idol appeared in the final scene. Gamzatti dances a variation on pointe in her first appearance, and her solo in the betrothal scene is not the one with which I'm familiar.

Based on what I saw, I thought Lucia Lacarra was a lovely Nikiya. By nature her body is extremely pliable, but she didn't make a big deal of it. The last Nikiya I saw was Olga Smirnova, and her non-stop undulating made me crazy. There was nothing exaggerated in Lacarra's performance, no sense that she was showing off her formidable range of motion or trying to dazzle the audience with the beauty of her physique. Her acting was always clear, and her performance could be described as a sort of hybrid, combining the elegance and refinement of the French style with a more expressive upper body. Of course, I didn't see the 'Kingdom of the Shades' so I can't be sure. Her slip just before her death scene happened during a transition between sequences, so the choreography was not seriously marred.

Lacarra and Marlon Dino have obvious chemistry, though in truth I think the height discrepancy between them is too great for classical choreography. I can't say definitively that he is too big to be able to jump easily, but I do think his plié is lacking, in terms of his ability to land jumps and also in the way he does not exploit "low" space as well as he could to give his dancing more dynamic variety. But he is very sincere and always dramatically engaged. He was also gentlemanly; in side-by-side sequences he stayed on the music and did not attempt to outjump his partners.

It's a valid interpretation, though I'm not sure it's necessary for Gamzatti to come across immediately in Odile mode, before she realizes she has a romantic rival. Ivy Amista was strong and impressive, dazzling and secure in her fouetté coda.

I'm sorry I didn't see the rest. It would be a shame if the stream were never to be seen again.

#18 diane

diane

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:59 PM

Thank you so much for the reviews, both of you! 

Very detailed, knowledgeable observations. 

What a treat to have been able to watch this!

-d-

#19 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:05 PM

Casting is available for the upcoming stream on Saturday, June 21. 7:30 p.m. CEST should translate into 1:30 p.m. Eastern and 10:30 a.m. Pacific.

Les Biches
Hostess: Lisa-Maree Cullum Stephanie Hancox

La Garçonne: Ivy Amista

Athletes: Maxim Chashchegorov, Adam Zvonař Javier Amo, Matej Urban

Girls in Gray: Mai Kono, Katherina Markowskaja Ilana Werner

L'Après-midi d'un faune
Faun: Tigran Mikayelyan
Nymph: Séverine Ferrolier
Nymphs: Giuliana Bottino, Ilana Werner, Teegan Kollman, Maira Fontes, Radka, Příhodová, Martina Balabanova

Schéhérazade

Zobeide: Daria Sukhorukova

Golden Slave: Lukáš Slavický

Shahriar: Cyril Pierre
Shah Zeman: Norbert Graf

Odalisques: Martina Balabanova, Zuzana Zahradníková, Evgenia Dolmatova Mia Rudic

http://www.bayerisch...orstellung.html

streaming link: http://streaming.staatsoper.de

#20 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,349 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:46 AM

Ballets Russes is streaming now:

http://www.operlive.de

#21 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:00 PM

Oh, big fun!  Does anyone here know who set the Faun on the company?  There are a couple of different versions running around, but I missed the landmarks in the choreography that I know.

#22 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:17 PM

Odd that the web site doesn't mention the producers. The intermission feature included interviews with a couple of ballet mistresses, but I don't think the stagings were credited to anyone in particular.

But my German in nonexistent.

#23 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,349 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:26 PM

Isabelle Folkine was responsible for at least the "Scheherazade":

http://www.bayerisch...biographie.html

I can't find a Horst Koegler review for danceviewtimes.

#24 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:26 PM

I don't know Scheherazade well enough to distinguish between productions, but I'm curious about the Faun.

My German is slightly better than nonexistent, but nowhere good enough to follow all the interviews. 

#25 diane

diane

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:00 AM

As far as I can tell from the Bayerische Staatsoper page, it appears that Claudia Jeschke and Ann Hutchinson Guest were responsible for reconstructing "Faun". 

http://www.bayerisch...orstellung.html

-d-

#26 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:52 AM

Thank you -- I've been lucky enough to see that version before, and I thought I caught the landmarks, but it's hard to know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):