This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Bayerische Staatsoper-two Free Ballet Live Streams in 2014

I just got an email from the Bayerische Staatsoper listingteir live video streams, andamongem are two ballets to be shown in 2014:

15 March 2014 at 7:30pm CET

La Bayadere (Petipa/Bart)

Lucia Lacarra (Nikiya), Marlon Dino (Solor)

According to this website, it will be daylight savings time in the US and Canada, but not in Germany, which doesn't switch until 30 March. The live stream should be at 2:30pm EDT and 11:30am PDT.

21 June 2014 at 7:30 pm CET

Les Ballets Russe:

Les Biches (Nijinska)

L'apres-midi d'une faune (Nijinsky)

Scheherazade (Folkine)

The live stream should be at 1:30pm EDT and 10:30pm EDT.

They may also keep tm up for limited on demand viewing.

Unfortunately Bavarian State Opera streams are not available for viewing after the fact. It's live or never.

The company has posted more detailed casting for La Bayadère, which will also feature Ivy Amista as Gamzatti and Tigran Mikayelyan as the Golden Idol. The site notes that Patrice Bart's production includes the final, post-Shades act.

http://www.bayerische.staatsoper.de/922-ZG9tPWRvbTImaWQ9NzcmbD1lbiZ0ZXJtaW49MTQzMTg-~spielplan~ballett~veranstaltungen~vorstellung.html

not so long ago we would have been amazed and thrilled at just being able to see a ballet all the way from Munich without it costing us a cent and without budging from our computer, without lamenting that it was only available live and not viewable after the fact!

Yes! Too true!

I was so, so happy to have been able to buy a video of a ballet, many years ago, after I stopped dancing and had a video-player.

Now..... Geez!

Are we spoiled, or what!? tongue.png

I am not complaining too loudly - I will be seeing another ballet, live, on the night of the 15th. wink1.gif

-d-

not so long ago we would have been amazed and thrilled at just being able to see a ballet all the way from Munich without it costing us a cent and without budging from our computer, without lamenting that it was only available live and not viewable after the fact!

Very true -- I remember how difficult it was to see some of the early Dance in America programs when they were broadcast. I was in college, and very few people I knew had a television. I had to make a case to everyone in the media lounge at the student union that they really did want to watch dance rather than serial television...

I'm curious if anyone else watched this streaming video. Most importantly, I'm so impressed at the frequent live-streamed performances we are able to access in the US from European and Russian companies. Other than the Guggenheim Works & Process stream, I can't think of anything comparable from US or Canadian companies.

I didn't recognize a single name on the cast list, but thought the performances (especially Nikyia and Gamzatti) very impressive. Solor was acceptable. The corps had a few rough edges (mainly lines and positions that did not perfectly align in the Kingdom of the Shades), but otherwise was just fine. Nikyia slipped and fell at one point in the first act, but we see that at NYCB and ABT as well.

The production seemed lavish and the interior of the Opera House just gorgeous. A man in a business suit came out after the intermission to (apparently) announce some kind of delay, but it was in German without captioning, so I don't know what the explanation was.

The camera work was mostly okay, but had some odd moments. In a couple of places, it looked like several camera angles were being superimposed to create a blurry ethereal/other-worldly sense. As the theater audience didn't see it that way, I wish they would skip these "special effects." I was annoyed in several places where I was only seeing principals from the waist up, when I knew interesting things would be happening in the footwork. But for the most part, I was shown what I wanted to see.

One interesting touch in the transmission: they had a live camera on backstage at the intermission for a time and we could see dancers warming up and speaking -- often in English, which seems to be the current lingua franca of the EU. We also got a good look at the steep stairs the corps climbs up to the ramps for the Kingdom of the Shades.

Too bad I missed it! I really like to see Lucia Lacarra's dancing in a full-length ballet like this. On YouTube I have seen few short ballet programs, e.g., Thais, Bolero, ..., in which she danced beautifully. Lacarra is a lyrical dancer, a Roland Petit's favorite. BTW, Solor Marlon Dino is her husband. Hope some people would have recorded and put it on YouTube.

ermm.gif

I was able to watch only the first half before I had to leave for a live performance.

There are some small photographs of the production on the company's web site. http://www.bayerische.staatsoper.de/912-Y3VycmVudGthdGVnb3JpZT0zNjkmZG9tPWRvbTImaWQ9NzcmbD1lbiZ0ZXJtaW49MTQzMTg-~spielplan~ballett~veranstaltungen~fotogallerie.html Designer Tomio Mohri used stylized, decorative backdrops rather than anything quasi-realistic. There was no sacred fire. I was grateful for the absence of bare midriffs and bikini tops. Counting ballerina ribs is usually my least favorite aspect of La Bayadère. The High Brahmin's collar of large petals looked bad every time he raised his arms to shoulder level or higher, and I'm sure the little pagoda on his head wasn't easy to balance. I also thought the lamp-shade headdresses worn by the supers looked silly.

There are no fakirs in this production. The D'Jampe dance is performed at an insane speed and in soft shoes. In the betrothal scene we saw parrots and the Drum Dance, but no Manu. I'm guessing the Idol appeared in the final scene. Gamzatti dances a variation on pointe in her first appearance, and her solo in the betrothal scene is not the one with which I'm familiar.

Based on what I saw, I thought Lucia Lacarra was a lovely Nikiya. By nature her body is extremely pliable, but she didn't make a big deal of it. The last Nikiya I saw was Olga Smirnova, and her non-stop undulating made me crazy. There was nothing exaggerated in Lacarra's performance, no sense that she was showing off her formidable range of motion or trying to dazzle the audience with the beauty of her physique. Her acting was always clear, and her performance could be described as a sort of hybrid, combining the elegance and refinement of the French style with a more expressive upper body. Of course, I didn't see the 'Kingdom of the Shades' so I can't be sure. Her slip just before her death scene happened during a transition between sequences, so the choreography was not seriously marred.

Lacarra and Marlon Dino have obvious chemistry, though in truth I think the height discrepancy between them is too great for classical choreography. I can't say definitively that he is too big to be able to jump easily, but I do think his plié is lacking, in terms of his ability to land jumps and also in the way he does not exploit "low" space as well as he could to give his dancing more dynamic variety. But he is very sincere and always dramatically engaged. He was also gentlemanly; in side-by-side sequences he stayed on the music and did not attempt to outjump his partners.

It's a valid interpretation, though I'm not sure it's necessary for Gamzatti to come across immediately in Odile mode, before she realizes she has a romantic rival. Ivy Amista was strong and impressive, dazzling and secure in her fouetté coda.

I'm sorry I didn't see the rest. It would be a shame if the stream were never to be seen again.

Casting is available for the upcoming stream on Saturday, June 21. 7:30 p.m. CEST should translate into 1:30 p.m. Eastern and 10:30 a.m. Pacific.

Les Biches
Hostess: Lisa-Maree Cullum Stephanie Hancox

La Garçonne: Ivy Amista

Athletes: Maxim Chashchegorov, Adam Zvonař Javier Amo, Matej Urban

Girls in Gray: Mai Kono, Katherina Markowskaja Ilana Werner

L'Après-midi d'un faune
Faun: Tigran Mikayelyan
Nymph: Séverine Ferrolier
Nymphs: Giuliana Bottino, Ilana Werner, Teegan Kollman, Maira Fontes, Radka, Příhodová, Martina Balabanova

Schéhérazade

Zobeide: Daria Sukhorukova

Golden Slave: Lukáš Slavický

Shahriar: Cyril Pierre
Shah Zeman: Norbert Graf

Odalisques: Martina Balabanova, Zuzana Zahradníková, Evgenia Dolmatova Mia Rudic

http://www.bayerische.staatsoper.de/922-ZG9tPWRvbTImaWQ9MzEzOCZsPWVuJnRlcm1pbj0xMzk0Mw-~spielplan~ballett~veranstaltungen~vorstellung.html

streaming link: http://streaming.staatsoper.de