This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Bayerische Staatsoper-two Free Ballet Live Streams in 2014

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,460 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:47 AM

I just got an email from the Bayerische Staatsoper listingteir live video streams, andamongem are two ballets to be shown in 2014:

15 March 2014 at 7:30pm CET
La Bayadere (Petipa/Bart)
Lucia Lacarra (Nikiya), Marlon Dino (Solor)

According to this website, it will be daylight savings time in the US and Canada, but not in Germany, which doesn't switch until 30 March. The live stream should be at 2:30pm EDT and 11:30am PDT.

21 June 2014 at 7:30 pm CET
Les Ballets Russe:
Les Biches (Nijinska)
L'apres-midi d'une faune (Nijinsky)
Scheherazade (Folkine)

The live stream should be at 1:30pm EDT and 10:30pm EDT.

They may also keep tm up for limited on demand viewing.

#2 kbarber

kbarber

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:17 AM

Just giving this a nudge to remind people that La Bayadere live stream is two weeks from now.

#3 diane

diane

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:01 AM

Thank you! Will these be up on the website of the Bayerische Staatsballett? 

-d-

#4 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:25 AM

And looking at the programming for June, I'm hoping it will be up online for a while after the live event -- I'll be away from my screen on the day.  And I'm always interested in seeing Biches!

#5 kbarber

kbarber

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

Thank you! Will these be up on the website of the Bayerische Staatsballett? 

-d-

Yes, sorry for not including the link:
http://www.bayerisch...aatsoper.de//tv

#6 diane

diane

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:38 AM

Thank you!

This has been duly noted! :D

-d-

#7 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,147 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:02 AM

Unfortunately Bavarian State Opera streams are not available for viewing after the fact. It's live or never.

The company has posted more detailed casting for La Bayadère, which will also feature Ivy Amista as Gamzatti and Tigran Mikayelyan as the Golden Idol. The site notes that Patrice Bart's production includes the final, post-Shades act.

http://www.bayerisch...orstellung.html

#8 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:59 PM

Unfortunately Bavarian State Opera streams are not available for viewing after the fact. It's live or never.

Phooey!

#9 diane

diane

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:35 AM

Yeah, that is really too bad! :( 

I may be able to see the one in June; but sadly not the one in March. 

-d-

#10 kbarber

kbarber

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:31 AM

not so long ago we would have been amazed and thrilled at just being able to see a ballet all the way from Munich without it costing us a cent and without budging from our computer, without lamenting that it was only available live and not viewable after the fact!

#11 diane

diane

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:10 AM

Yes! Too true! 

I was so, so happy to have been able to buy a video of a ballet, many years ago, after I stopped dancing and had a video-player. 

Now..... Geez! 

Are we spoiled, or what!? tongue.png

I am not complaining too loudly - I will be seeing another ballet, live, on the night of the 15th. wink1.gif  

-d-

#12 kbarber

kbarber

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:46 PM

fuller casting (characters in German spelling):

Nikija Lucia Lacarra
Gamzatti Ivy Amista
Solor Marlon Dino
Brahmane Peter Jolesch
Radscha Norbert Graf
Aija Elaine Underwood
Das Goldene Idol Tigran Mikayelyan

#13 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:06 PM

not so long ago we would have been amazed and thrilled at just being able to see a ballet all the way from Munich without it costing us a cent and without budging from our computer, without lamenting that it was only available live and not viewable after the fact!

Very true -- I remember how difficult it was to see some of the early Dance in America programs when they were broadcast.  I was in college, and very few people I knew had a television.  I had to make a case to everyone in the media lounge at the student union that they really did want to watch dance rather than serial television...

#14 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,147 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:32 AM

The easiest way to access Bavarian State Opera streams is at this link.

http://streaming.staatsoper.de/

As Helene noted at the top of this thread, the start time for La Bayadère this Saturday is 7:30 pm Central European Time, or 2:30 pm Eastern, 11:30 am Pacific.

#15 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:36 PM

I'm curious if anyone else watched this streaming video. Most importantly, I'm so impressed at the frequent live-streamed performances we are able to access in the US from European and Russian companies. Other than the Guggenheim Works & Process stream, I can't think of anything comparable from US or Canadian companies.

I didn't recognize a single name on the cast list, but thought the performances (especially Nikyia and Gamzatti) very impressive. Solor was acceptable. The corps had a few rough edges (mainly lines and positions that did not perfectly align in the Kingdom of the Shades), but otherwise was just fine. Nikyia slipped and fell at one point in the first act, but we see that at NYCB and ABT as well.

The production seemed lavish and the interior of the Opera House just gorgeous. A man in a business suit came out after the intermission to (apparently) announce some kind of delay, but it was in German without captioning, so I don't know what the explanation was.

The camera work was mostly okay, but had some odd moments. In a couple of places, it looked like several camera angles were being superimposed to create a blurry ethereal/other-worldly sense. As the theater audience didn't see it that way, I wish they would skip these "special effects." I was annoyed in several places where I was only seeing principals from the waist up, when I knew interesting things would be happening in the footwork. But for the most part, I was shown what I wanted to see.

One interesting touch in the transmission: they had a live camera on backstage at the intermission for a time and we could see dancers warming up and speaking  -- often in English, which seems to be the current lingua franca of the EU.  We also got a good look at the steep stairs the corps climbs up to the ramps for the Kingdom of the Shades.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):