This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nioradze and Zelensky no longer listed

On the Mariinsky's website, Irma Nioradze and Igor Zelensky are no longer listed as Principals. I believe this is a very recent change (this week) on the site.

It makes sense, since neither dancer has been dancing with the company, but I wonder if this means someone is being moved up.

On the Mariinsky's website, Irma Nioradze and Igor Zelensky are no longer listed as Principals. I believe this is a very recent change (this week) on the site.

It makes sense, since neither dancer has been dancing with the company, but I wonder if this means someone is being moved up.

The male principal roster is very small and weak for Mariinsky. Kolb has become a character dancer, so he no longer dances principal roles. Ivanchenko should have retired a long time ago, leaving only two worthy principals in Shklyarov and Korsuntsev.

Analyzing possible promotions to principal, 1st soloist possibilities, are only two since Andrei Batalov is not liked by Fateyev adn Kuznetsov does not dance principal roles. That leaves Sergeyev, who I would support as principal, but not likely, and Askerov, who I do not see as a 1st soloist, but he has a wealthy father and wealth can do much in post soviet Russia. Therefore, I expect Askerov to become the 5th male principal. Askerov's father is one of the most powerful individuals in Azerbaijan, maybe the most powerful, being on Azerbaijani TV often.

I see little hope of 2nd soloists jumping to principal and no hope for coryphee jumping to principal, but there are several worthy principals in the 2nd soloist and coryphee categories.

I will list the names, but they have no chance of getting principal status now and obviously coryphee have no chance of moving to 1st soloist.

Ermakov, Zyuzin and Stepin are all worthy of moving up to 1st soloist and if they were 1st soloist now, I would say all 3 were possible principals, particulary Stepin, who I feel is currently the best Mariinsky dancer.

Coryphee have two potential future principals in Tkachenko and Alexei Popov, but Tkachenko needs to be given Basilio and Solor among other roles to have a chance.

In the corps de ballet rank, both Ivkin and Latypov are potential future principals. It is shocking that Ivkin is still corps de ballet with the best jumping ability at Mariinsky, but then his Vaganova partner, Marchuk is even more shocking as a current corps de ballet girl.

Regarding the women, Fateyev has opened the door for his prized collection, his precious Skorik, to move to principal.

The male principal roster is very small and weak for Mariinsky. Kolb has become a character dancer, so he no longer dances principal roles. Ivanchenko should have retired a long time ago, leaving only two worthy principals in Shklyarov and Korsuntsev.

Analyzing possible promotions to principal, 1st soloist possibilities, are only two since Andrei Batalov is not liked by Fateyev adn Kuznetsov does not dance principal roles. That leaves Sergeyev, who I would support as principal, but not likely, and Askerov, who I do not see as a 1st soloist, but he has a wealthy father and wealth can do much in post soviet Russia. Therefore, I expect Askerov to become the 5th male principal. Askerov's father is one of the most powerful individuals in Azerbaijan, maybe the most powerful, being on Azerbaijani TV often.

I see little hope of 2nd soloists jumping to principal and no hope for coryphee jumping to principal, but there are several worthy principals in the 2nd soloist and coryphee categories.

I will list the names, but they have no chance of getting principal status now and obviously coryphee have no chance of moving to 1st soloist.

Ermakov, Zyuzin and Stepin are all worthy of moving up to 1st soloist and if they were 1st soloist now, I would say all 3 were possible principals, particulary Stepin, who I feel is currently the best Mariinsky dancer.

Coryphee have two potential future principals in Tkachenko and Alexei Popov, but Tkachenko needs to be given Basilio and Solor among other roles to have a chance.

In the corps de ballet rank, both Ivkin and Latypov are potential future principals. It is shocking that Ivkin is still corps de ballet with the best jumping ability at Mariinsky, but then his Vaganova partner, Marchuk is even more shocking as a current corps de ballet girl.

Regarding the women, Fateyev has opened the door for his prized collection, his precious Skorik, to move to principal.

I agree about Stepin and the others. This is the problem. People think the quality is going downhill at the Mariinsky, but it is only because the really great dancers are being stopped and stuck in lower ranks. This would be understandable if the principals were amazing also. I notice that people complain about this at ABT also, but the lower ranked dancers at ABT are stuck while famous international stars with huge followings are hired as principals, so at least the audience gets talented artists and even if it is unjust there is rhyme and reason to what is happening there. At the Mariinsky you have the best dancers stuck and the principals, even the good ones, are not as good as the lower ranked ones.

I agree about Stepin and the others. This is the problem. People think the quality is going downhill at the Mariinsky, but it is only because the really great dancers are being stopped and stuck in lower ranks. This would be understandable if the principals were amazing also. I notice that people complain about this at ABT also, but the lower ranked dancers at ABT are stuck while famous international stars with huge followings are hired as principals, so at least the audience gets talented artists and even if it is unjust there is rhyme and reason to what is happening there. At the Mariinsky you have the best dancers stuck and the principals, even the good ones, are not as good as the lower ranked ones.

Impressive comment and certainly true.

The current male principal category makes no sense at all - there are just not enough of them! Unfortunately, I agree that Askerov seems to be the most likely next principal, but personally I would love to see Stepin and Ermakov leapfrog a category as these for me are the best candidates out of the 2nd soloists. I like Zyuzin and Sergeyev very much, but for me they both lack a little oooomph! Really though, if several promotions to principal were made, this would be open up the opportunities for several promotions to be made to each category. It is definitely time for a shake-up in the male ranks.

Tiara, I like everything you said. Sergeyev can be very impressive. His Prince Desire was good, and his Espada was WOW (Spanish cockiness galore), but then when he danced Ivan in Little Humpbacked Horse I was a bit disappointed. He didn't come close to what Sarafanov did. Maybe his heart was not i the role. Zyuzin was actually better than Sergeyev in Humpbacked Horse, and I like Zyuzin a lot, but I think his puppy dog cute boy face makes him seem too nice at times. That look was perfect for Ivan in Humpbacked Horse, but I did not find him believable as Lankedem. It is just hard to imagine Zyuzin as a "bad" person. Physically he has the physique for the princely roles, but his youthful, puppy dog face keeps him from being ideal, in my opinion. Ermakov is getting better and better from what I can tell. I think he is going to be an elegant and much needed tall dancer at the Mariinsky. Love Stepin and agree with all of you. I think he could play princes and villains.

And so many lovely ballerinas too.....

It is hard to complain. They each amaze in certain roles but are not always perfect in every role. But that is the fun.....comparing and seeing how they all do in a different role....

Batoeva just promoted to 2nd soloist after only 1 year as Choryphee.

Corps de Ballet has 31 new dancers, including Zaklinskaya (daughter of Assylmuratova/Zaklinsky). Only 3 corps have departed since May, so the company has indeed grown by a lot, as rumored when the new theater opened.

Out since I last checked in May 2013: Gronskaya, Andrei Ivanov, Denis Firsov + 3 corps (Akhmatova, Khrebtova & A. Soloviev).