This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Ratmansky Cinderella

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:06 AM

Ok, the reviews I've seen are very interesting, but I want more information -- anyone here going to see this?

#2 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:20 PM

I've seen it and there are moments here and there that are interesting, but it is a modern updating of Cinderella and not traditional at all. The stepsisters and mother are getting hair done by wild looking hairdressers. The fairies (seasonal fairies) are men who look like punk rockers to me, although some of the choreography for these fairies is interesting. When the prince goes to look for Cinderella he is approached by female and then male prostitutes I believe if I interpreted it correctly. 

A children's show it isn't. 

The choreography has very modern moments although definitely based in ballet vocabulary. But I don't think this is for someone looking for classical ballet really.  

I think Ratmansky's Little Humpbacked Horse is actually more enjoyable. 

Didn't see that this was posted for Australian Ballet.....I was speaking about the ballet itself (at the Mariinsky).....haven't seen the Australian Ballet's production. 

#3 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:09 PM

Interesting -- the press from Australia implies that this is a new work (dated 2013) rather than a re-staging of older choreography, but some of the elements you describe seem to match the description of the work.  I'd be curious to know if he was just tweaking existing work, or taking a fresh approach.

#4 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:29 PM

I'm really interested to see the planets (instead of the carriage ride with the mice), wish I wasn't so far away from Australia this week!

#5 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:35 AM

I thought that was an interesting choice too -- Jerome Bel did the costumes.

#6 kbarber

kbarber

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:25 PM

Jerome Kaplan.

#7 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:30 PM

Jerome Kaplan.

Oh dear -- that's a major difference!  I can only plead distraction -- Bel's got work here later this autumn.  Thanks for the correction!

#8 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:02 AM

I read an article that said that in the Australian production  Ratmansky would be revisiting his original version--but not redoing it from the ground up. Plus it's being redesigned as discussed above. I think redesigning it was a great idea as the designs for portions of the original production are very thin in sections, and not, in my opinion, in an interesting creative way. (Natalia has often complained the Mariinsky production looks cheap. I liked it in portions, but in other portions--basically anything that wasn't supposed to be the slum--I thought "yeah...it looks cheap.")

I have seen four full-length Ratmansky ballets, but as chance would have it each of them exactly one time.  Though I found his 'original' Cinderella the most uneven in quality (high highs and low lows) it was the only one that left me feeling absolutely confident that the best parts of the choreography would hold up to repeated viewings.  For example I found the pas de deux for the leads in the ballroom scene, and again when they are reunited, more intrinsically interesting than the pas de deux for the leads in Bright Stream--even if the latter, with the masked wife dancing with her would-be cheating husband--has a lot of plot interest/pathos built into its situation.

But...as Birdsall indicated, it's not exactly a conventional family fairy tale ballet. (I do find it very classical though.) I most certainly would love to see the revised/redesigned Australian version.

#9 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:03 PM

Ah, that makes much more sense. 

I'm very curious about Ratmansky's work -- I've been so impressed with what I've seen, on a basic ballet-kinetic level particularly.  So much of the work we see is incorporating other dance traditions or styles with ballet, and some of it is fascinating, but I'm still convinced there's more we can do with the language of ballet itself.  I guess I'm looking for more direct descendants of the technique -- just as Balanchine reconfigured classical material to suit his own interests without turning away from the technique, I'd like to see how someone versed in classicism would translate it for the 21st century. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):