"Nijinsky: A Life"New biography by Lucy Moore

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 fadedhour

fadedhour

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:59 PM

Has anyone heard anything about this book? Or planning to read it? I've seen a couple reviews around:

Here's the Guardian one: http://www.guardian....cy-moore-review

And this is from the Telegraph: http://www.telegraph...ore-review.html

The Telegraph one I find odd, because it opens by discussing film footage of Nijinsky when I'm pretty sure none exists - it also refers to Romola as 'a second-rate dancer' when I wouldn't really call her a dancer at all.

I've actually just started rereading Buckle, so I'm curious about this one.

#2 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

The Telegraph one I find odd, because it opens by discussing film footage of Nijinsky when I'm pretty sure none exists. . .

I thought the same, but if you search for him on YouTube, several short clips show up. I have always assumed these were faked somehow. Does anybody know?

#3 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:16 PM

Joan Acocella has done a NYer 'notebook' on the 'creator' of these Nijinsky 'films' which are put together from stills as if they were films, if mem. serves.

#4 fadedhour

fadedhour

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

Joan Acocella has done a NYer 'notebook' on the 'creator' of these Nijinsky 'films' which are put together from stills as if they were films, if mem. serves.

Here's a link to that, if anyone's interested: http://www.newyorker...a_talk_acocella

I wonder if this reviewer was referring to these clips. If so, I'm disappointed.

#5 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

yes, he took series of photos of Nijinsky in the same roles and kind of morphed them into each other to create the illusion of movement.

#6 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:35 PM

i'd guess this is what the reviewer meant, there are no known films of Nijinsky as far as i understand it.

#7 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:30 PM

Lucky Nijinsky!

I just heard about the book today, fadedhour. Thank you for posting about it. I look forward to reading the reviews. (And perhaps the book!)

#8 fadedhour

fadedhour

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:27 AM

I actually was just given this book as a gift today! I'll post my thoughts once I've read it.

#9 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:47 AM

i'd guess this is what the reviewer meant, there are no known films of Nijinsky as far as i understand it.

There aren't any moving images in them, but I remember them being quite evocative. If I remember correctly, they pre-date work like Ken Burns' use of still images.

#10 Ray

Ray

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:05 AM

Today in the London Review of Books:

"Moore has written a cool, businesslike introduction to his remarkable life and times, drawing on the full range of vivid memoirs and fervid recollections. It’s true that when you look at the original versions of the passages she paraphrases they are usually much more vivid, but when the events are so brilliant, tragic and poignant, and when what is written about them is so often overwrought, then a proficient and professional guide is just what is needed."

EDITED TO ADD:  The link should be fixed now.

#11 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:34 AM

Thanks so much for the heads-up.  I don't see the LRB that often.  Link didn't work for me -- try this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):