#31 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:39 PM

Act II.   Adagio

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=eSnivcjR_Do

In this scene the music sounds very slow. Slower than "normal", isn't it?

innocent.gif

The PDD tempo has become very slow with time-(one would had to know what clue is given from period manuscripts of the score or "authorized" transcriptions.).  In any case, this could had been the result of the ballerina, conductor or stager's preference.

I particularly don't care too much for an extra laaaaaaaaaaaargo tempo here...

#32 yudi

yudi

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:05 PM

I thought, that could be harder for Osipova-Giselle's jumping to match the music, if music is played slower. ...... I might be wrong. I have never danced Giselle. dunno.gif

I like the slow motion from 4:20 - 5:00 very much. Albrecht was swaying Giselle a little bit, then carrying her two steps further down. Very beautiful and full of emotion! wub.png

In some Giselle performances, I saw Albrecht just liftting Giselle and putting her down, I would cry out in my head: hey, Giselle is not a box! beg.gif

#33 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:30 PM

I thought, that could be harder for Osipova-Giselle's jumping to match the music, if music is played slower. ...... I might be wrong. I have never danced Giselle. dunno.gif

I like the slow motion from 4:20 - 5:00 very much. Albrecht was swaying Giselle a little bit, then carrying her two steps further down. Very beautiful and full of emotion! wub.png

In some Giselle performances, I saw Albrecht just liftting Giselle and putting her down, I would cry out in my head: hey, Giselle is not a box! beg.gif

Well...thing is-(and I would love to be corrected here by doug)-that older versions, which were probably closer to the turn of the century Russian stagings, usually have Albrecht lifting Giselle while she stays in a stiff arabesque position.  The "swaying" motion seems to have been added in more modern productions. 

Also...didn't Dolin say in "A portrait of Giselle" that those lifts hadn't always been a part of the standard stagings...? Or something like he didn't used them with Markova...?

#34 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:17 PM

Well...thing is-(and I would love to be corrected here by doug)-that older versions, which were probably closer to the turn of the century Russian stagings, usually have Albrecht lifting Giselle while she stays in a stiff arabesque position.  The "swaying" motion seems to have been added in more modern productions. 

Also...didn't Dolin say in "A portrait of Giselle" that those lifts hadn't always been a part of the standard stagings...? Or something like he didn't used them with Markova...?

I think he's talking about the lifts being overhead as "Soviet." There's a film with Dolin and Markova where he lifts her but not overhead. But this might have been specific to Markova because she was famous for being very particular about lifts. She wanted to maintain the illusion of weightlessness so she disliked any lifts that would have required her to visibly push off the ground.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):