This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Giselle?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:08 PM

She spoke about vampire literature becoming prominent in the early- to mid-19th century, so vampires would have been in the air.

#17 Kristen

Kristen

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:59 PM

To borrow from Sandik - GO, JUST GO.   Yes, some find Giselle "boring" (my husband, sister and mother), but you have the opportunity to see the Mariinsky Corps do one of the great classical ballets - and Osipova!  Okay, yes, I'd rather see her do Don Quixote, Le Corsaire, Flames of Paris - more flamboyant roles - but believe me, I'm sure she won't disappoint in Giselle - she's an incredible artist growing every day in different roles and her charisma and audience connection can't be beat.

#18 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:32 PM

The corps alone and sitting in the Mariinsky Theatre is worth going to see. The theatre is gorgeous and the Vaganova training is very apparent in the corps. I think you would enjoy it. 

#19 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:16 PM

She spoke about vampire literature becoming prominent in the early- to mid-19th century, so vampires would have been in the air.

Giselle should be done on Halloween with the Willies painting their faces to look like zombies

the-lords-of-salem-sherri-moon-zombie-fa

#20 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:33 PM

I've never seen Osipova live, so I would grab that chance, ord7916. Regarding Giselle, you probably will find Act One less than fascinating (I prefer productions that dispatch it clearly and efficiently), but Act Two is a piece of Romantic-era ballet that you should definitely see at least once even if you do conclude it's not your cup of tea. The score is very well-constructed for its purposes but not wonderful listening otherwise, but you'll be watching it with dancing (and probably some pretty spectacular dancing) and I find that helps greatly. I hope you tell us about everything you see!

#21 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:41 PM

Ismene Brown just published a summary and translation of the following news to her blog:  The Boshoi's Vladimir Urin announced that Natalia Osipova would be dancing with Ivan Vasiliev in "Don Q" in October, and he would begin talks with her for future performances (source:  Izvetsia), as Brown noted, "just when the Royal Ballet is staging the same ballet in London amid a serious shortage of ballerinas."

It may be a rare opportunity to see Osipova with the Mariinsky in "Giselle," if the Bolshoi manages to fill up her calendar going forward.

#22 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,269 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:49 PM

To the OP, GO see this grand gem of Romantic style.  The music is as catching as it can gets and very easy on the ears.  Although I have my reservations on how the Russians treat it,-(very much preferring the general feeling of those stagings that have derived from the turn of the century productions staged by N. Sergueev and subsequently by some of its early dancers)- I assure you... you will love it. 

#23 tamicute

tamicute

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:50 AM

Giselle will be at the Marinsky when I visit in a few weeks.  However, from what I've seen on youtube, it doesn't seem terribly exciting.  Am I missing something?   

The most important scene in Giselle is at the end of act 1, known as the mad scene. In my over 50 years of watching ballet, I never saw real tears as Galina  Mezentseva showed in this mad scene by the Mariinsky Ballet, then Kirov Ballet, in 1983..

The video on Youtube is very poor video quality, but it shows the importance of a great actress in the role of Giselle.

https://www.youtube....h?v=72pEjEjk-88

#24 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:51 AM

...Regarding Giselle, you probably will find Act One less than fascinating (I prefer productions that dispatch it clearly and efficiently), but Act Two is a piece of Romantic-era ballet that you should definitely see at least once even if you do conclude it's not your cup of tea. The score is very well-constructed for its purposes but not wonderful listening otherwise, but you'll be watching it with dancing (and probably some pretty spectacular dancing) and I find that helps greatly. I hope you tell us about everything you see!

I love Giselle, including Act I, but I think this is very good advice for someone who has never seen Giselle and been underwhelmed by video of it. I have to admit it's more or less what I tell anyone seeing Giselle for the first time--but whether you enjoy Act I or not, Act II is "must see" in my book, anyway at least once. Especially with corps of Mariinsky. As for Osipova? if you have the chance? I don't think you will regret seeing her Giselle.  In fact, I think you will be very glad you did.

#25 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:13 PM

I have always preferred Act II of Giselle over Act I.  The choreography in Act II is sublime if done well.   The Mad Scene depends more on acting that on dancing, and very few ballerinas are convincing in the Mad Scene.

#26 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,269 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:13 PM

As for Osipova? if you have the chance? I don't think you will regret seeing her Giselle.  In fact, I think you will be very glad you did.

I think so too.

Iconic moments with Osipova's Giselle.

Act I.  Pas Seul.

http://www.youtube.c...e&v=omqyVhJqozk

Act I .  Scene de Folie

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=c_Dz3zgarUM

Act II. Apparition de Giselle.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=VzdOBx_cRvE

Act II.   Adagio

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=eSnivcjR_Do

#27 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:02 PM

I think the 2nd act is the more beautiful, but act 1 is full of acting moments including the mad scene, so you can judge the ballerina on being the "complete package" when you see both acts......for me the transformation of Giselle into a more ethereal creature in Act 2 has more impact if you see her young, country girl in Act 1 so full of love and hope for life......the mad scene was a common element of theatre (I'm sure many of you know this already).....many 19th century operas have mad scenes which are the piece de resistance in many operas of the time, most notably Lucia di Lammermoor (probably the most famous Mad Scene in opera), and so I think for the time period it is fascinating that this also appeared in ballet. Madwomen appeared in literature of the time also. 

And I have to say that when I saw the Mariinsky's corps dance even in Act 1 with that unique style, I had an "Ahhhhh.....so beautiful" moment even when it was just the peasants dancing. And, of course, the corps was gorgeous as Willis also in Act 2. I would say the corps is the beauty of the Mariinsky. But that is my personal opinion. For me it is as if I need a swooning couch when watching them.....it is like eating a piece of double chocolate cake......so rich and puts you into ecstasy!!! Of course, the chairs are crammed in the Mariinsky boxes, so no space for a couch or for swooning......LOL

Go!!! 

#28 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 02:31 PM

Giselle's variation and the Peasant Pas de Deux in Act I are wonderful pieces.

#29 yudi

yudi

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:46 PM

Act II.   Adagio

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=eSnivcjR_Do

In this scene the music sounds very slow. Slower than "normal", isn't it?

innocent.gif

#30 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:23 PM

Giselle's variation and the Peasant Pas de Deux in Act I are wonderful pieces.

I agree with this. In the Mariinsky's peasant pas de deux, the female soloist has to turn and end with her arm hooking the male's arm twice in a row, and it looks incredibly hard. I think many would fall off pointe when stopping (the linking of arms is what stops her. A good ballerina makes it look so easy. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):