• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:03 PM

With kfw, I am, as always, looking forward to TSFB's too-short season in November; and I've just put together an expedition to Fort Lauderdale to have a look at Merrill Ashley's staging of Ballo della Regina on MCB, on a program with Serenade and Wheeldon's Polyphonia, in October.  Maybe I'll go back in January to see if their realization of Balanchine's Nutcracker still has the vitality it had in 2011, when it benefitted so much from comparison with the NYCB PBS broadcast.  (Living in Chicago is apt to give me additional reason to head south that time of year.)  

And depending on the repertory, I have in mind the SAB Workshop next Spring.  Last time, watching one variation in particular had me at the point of giggling with delight, and the rest of the program wasn't far below.  And Ballet Chicago's Nutcracker and Spring Repertory programs I can get to without going through security or getting on an airplane!...  Last season, without any fanfare I heard, Simone Messmer, no less, turned up as "Sugar Plum" in their second weekend.  Like at SAB, you just gotta be in the right place at the right time.  

#17 Swanilda8

Swanilda8

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:44 AM

With kfw, I am, as always, looking forward to TSFB's too-short season in November; and I've just put together an expedition to Fort Lauderdale to have a look at Merrill Ashley's staging of Ballo della Regina on MCB, on a program with Serenade and Wheeldon's Polyphonia, in October.  Maybe I'll go back in January to see if their realization of Balanchine's Nutcracker still has the vitality it had in 2011, when it benefitted so much from comparison with the NYCB PBS broadcast.  (Living in Chicago is apt to give me additional reason to head south that time of year.) 

I'm jealous-  I really was hoping to see Miami sometime this year (the October program looks great, so does their January program with Concerto Barocco, Ratmansky's Symphonic Dances, and a new Peck) but it doesn't look like I'm going to make it to Miami this year. Their Nutcracker is wonderful - I saw it last year. 

#18 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:36 PM

Kathleen O, you may enjoy Ratmansky's delicious "From Foreign Lands," which San Francisco Ballet is planning to bring to New York in October. When I saw them perform it at Stern Grove last month, it made me laugh out loud.

Grrrrr ... I'll be out of town! Otherwise it would have gone right on my dance card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):