5 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,790 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:58 PM

Edward Villella creates a ballet for Ice Theatre of New York.

This time, Edward Villella has created an ice skating ballet. "Reveries" will debut Oct. 24 at the Sky Rink at the Chelsea Piers in Manhattan.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,790 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:02 PM

A look at Boston Ballet as it celebrates its fiftieth anniversary by Geoff Edgers in The Boston Globe.

These days, Boston Ballet runs its own box office, has been earning record revenue, and has revamped “The Nutcracker,” its biggest production, to popular acclaim. Through increased fund-raising, the company has also wiped out an accumulated debt and brought in $3 million for an emergency fund. It is now the fourth largest ballet company in the United States, with a $31 million annual budget and the world’s largest ballet school.

Two other ballet-related items in the Globe, subscriber-only.

A look at the Boston Ballet Orchestra.

A piece by Sophie Flack.

A story on dancers' injuries.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,790 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:08 PM

An interview with Alexei Ratmansky by Sharon Verghis in The Australian.

He nods when I ask if he agrees with the views of the Bolshoi's new general manager Vladimir Urin that the Bolshoi suffers from "star disease". "Yes. The Bolshoi dancers were unnecessarily resistant to my ideas. They thought, he, Ratmansky, was not even accepted into the Bolshoi, how dare he come in and change things. But I was the choreographer. If you don't accept the director being authoritative, OK, but the choreographer has the right to say, I want it this way."

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,790 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:23 PM

A profile of Boston Ballet founder E. Virginia Williams by Mark Feeney in The Boston Globe.

After seeing the company dance at two regional festivals, Balanchine liked what he had seen well enough to offer to coach Williams once a month in New York (the equivalent of Picasso giving someone monthly drawing lessons) and let her watch New York City Ballet classes and rehearsals. More important, he recommended the company for a $144,000 grant from the Ford Foundation in 1963. That seed money helped New England Civic Ballet become Boston Ballet.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,790 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:35 PM

A trailer for the Royal Ballet's new "Don Quixote."

The production, based on the classic novel by Miguel de Cervantes, will bring the adventures of bumbling knight Don Quixote and his ever-faithful squire Sancho Panzo to life on the Main Stage.

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,790 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:54 AM

Sergei Filin is back in Moscow.

“I will be going back to Germany, can’t say they discharged me,” Filin said. “Will have an operation on my right eye, my left [eye] can see, watch the stage.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):