This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Friday, September 13

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,753 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:37 AM

A review of Cincinnati Ballet by David Lyman in The Cincinnati Enquirer.

That’s not to say the days are numbered for the company’s most established dancers. No, I expect we have several more years to watch the likes of Cervilio Miguel Amador, Janessa Touchet and Sarah Hairston.

But “New Works” is about revelations. Not just choreographic revelations. But since they see these dancers in different ways, the guest choreographers who create these new works offer us revelations about the performers themselves

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,753 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:40 AM

American Ballet Theatre  announces a racial diversity project.

In a national initiative to be announced Friday, American Ballet Theatre plans to offer scholarships to promising dancers of color, eventually creating a stronger pipeline of performers from underrepresented groups.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,753 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:43 AM

New York City Ballet releases a movie commemmorating 9/11.

In the film, two NYCB principal dancers, Maria Kowroski and Ask la Cour, perform an excerpt from After the Rain, Christopher Wheeldon’s pas de deux. Their backdrop is the New York City skyline and One World Trade Center, which was formerly known as the Freedom Tower, and which, upon completion, will be the tallest skyscraper in North America, 1,776 feet high with its mast.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,753 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:45 AM

A preview of Miami City Ballet's new season.

In this season’s company premiere of “West Side Story Suite,” MCB’s versions of the Jets and the Sharks will sing, dance and rumble their way through the crowd-pleasing crown jewel of American musical theater.

There’s a definite Spanish accent to the first season the Cuban-born Lopez has programmed for the company. In addition to WSS, she’s brought in Spanish choreographer Nacho Duato’s “Jardi Tancat,” set to Catalonian folk music and closes out the season with Don Quixote, full of flipping fans, skirt swirling gypsies and stomping bullfighters.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,753 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:06 AM

A review of Northern Ballet in "A Midsummer Night's Dream" by Louise Levene in The Telegraph.

Nixon’s big idea was to set the story of quarrelling fairies, mismatched mortals and lumpen mechanicals in a Forties ballet company about to take the night train for Scotland. Once aboard, the Puckish ballet master (nimble new boy Kevin Poeung) oversees a night of corridor-creeping, during which disputes are settled and the lovers united before the company arrive in Edinburgh for a triumphant premiere of Romeo and Juliet.

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,753 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:11 AM

Q&A with Jessica Lang.

FR: How would you place yourself in context with other choreographers, within American dance?

JL: I can say that there aren’t many females doing this. Not with a focus on ballet. I think there’s such a more balanced presence of gender in modern dance. And I think it’s getting really lost in conversation when directors think it’s that there’s no female presence. There is. I actually think there’s no female presence strictly in ballet. That’s where…and I think that it has something to do with the curriculum, the intense training, and there’s like 30 little girls and maybe one boy in a little ballet class, all through America…and somehow these boys get to be the lead. And that just creates confidence. And the girls, who are constantly being….there’s fear, that there’s 29 other kids who want the lead. The competition kind of distracts and destroys the overall awareness of what else can be…what else this career can offer.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,753 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:12 AM

The National Ballet of China presents " Don Quixote."

The National Ballet of China first adapted "Don Quixote" in 1985 under the tutelage of Nureyev, followed by a first revival 12 years later. With the second revival of this western classic a world-calibre team has been assembled.

"The highlight of this revival is the stage design and lighting. We used a team of young designers from stage design to costume. They have brought in concepts of fashion and a modern interpretation of the piece," said Feng Ying, director of National Ballet of China

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,753 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

A story on Sergei Filin's  return to Moscow.

After losing over 90 percent of his vision in his left eye and becoming totally blind in his right eye, Filin now has 80 percent of his left eye vision restored and can distinguish big objects with his right eye, the statement said.

According to doctors, Filin will require additional treatment. “Our present goal is long-term stabilization,” Hermel said.

#9 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,753 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:04 PM

A preview of Carolina Ballet Theatre's new season.

The first premiere, on Oct. 25-27, will be “Arabian Nights: Sinbad's Adventures." A segment from Gene Kelly’s 1956 film “Invitation to the Dance" inspired Justo to create the fanciful ballet, featuring the music of Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov.

#10 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,753 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:10 PM

Dance listings for the new season by Caroline Palmer in the Star Tribune of Minneapolis.

...Now choreographer Angelin Preljocaj returns with “And then, one thousand years of peace,” a 2010 work created in collaboration with Moscow’s legendary Bolshoi Theatre. Apocalyptic visions from the Book of Revelations are the inspiration for a thought-provoking journey into the essence of our existence.

#11 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,753 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:13 PM

Monique Meunier and Nilas Martins take the reins at the Academy of the Nevada Ballet Theatre.

“We do have different backgrounds … he’s from Denmark, I’m from Los Angeles, but I’m trained Russian,” Meunier said. “And then we met at the Balanchine thing, so in terms of work, because we get along so well, it’s very easy to find (common ground). We don’t even really need to talk about what we need to do. He does this, and I’ll just do that and … it happens really naturally.”

They flew to Las Vegas to get married about two years ago and recently welcomed a daughter who soon will be learning to walk. The couple drove from New York with two cats and their daughter, taking about a week. After settling in, they were eager to get to work.

#12 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,753 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:16 PM

Vegan food getting easier to find in Paris, says Natalie Portman.

''I've worked there for a few months at a time, but neither of us ever lived there before - my husband is from Bordeaux. It's everyone's dream to live in Paris at least for a while, so there is a wonderful opportunity for us.''

#13 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,753 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:29 PM

Four companies perform live at the Delacorte in Central Park this week.

New York City Ballet presents Ulysses Dove’s dynamic “Red Angels.” The Paul Taylor Dance Company works magic in Mr. Taylor’s “Esplanade,” which transforms ordinary movements into extraordinary ones.

#14 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,753 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:24 AM

An interview with Angelin Preljocaj by Roslyn Sulcas in The New York Times.

The new piece, so far untitled, is his second chance to work out City Ballet’s DNA. In 1997, he created “La Stravaganza” for the company’s Diamond Project, a festival of new ballets. For that work, he recounted, point shoes and the use of an orchestra were requested by Peter Martins, the company’s ballet master in chief.

“I used neither,” Mr. Preljocaj said with a laugh.“I have a great respect for Peter, because, in the end, he really gives you complete freedom to make your choices.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):