9 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,081 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:11 AM

Gwinnett Ballet Theatre receives an $10,000 grant.

The National Endowment for the Arts announced a $10,000 matching grant awarded to GBT’s The Dance Project, an educational initiative providing dance education for children in Title 1 schools in Gwinnett County.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,081 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:22 AM

Ballet Idaho names nine new members to its board.

Kathryn Zimmerman has been named president-elect. She will fill the position vacated by Chris Privon when he completes his three-year term in 2014.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,081 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

Ballet Kelowna announces an abbreviated new season.

The company announced in February that it had to disband because of financial constraints but assistance from the community ensured the shows will go on.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,081 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

A story on New York Theatre Ballet's  quest for new digs.

A fixture of the community of Murray Hill, NYTB's pre-professional training school services approximately 130 children ages 4 and up. The company's outreach arm, LIFT Community Services, provides scholarships, mentoring and tutoring for at-risk children.

"We're in a crisis," said Diana Byer, artistic director of NYTB. "I don't know if we're in danger of closing. I'm just reaching out to everybody to see what will come about."

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,081 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:30 AM

A society pages note on a Ballet Barre get-together for Houston Ballet.

Waltzing on to the scene at Federal American Grill on Tuesday were 125 stylish philanthropists with a penchant for the finer things in life, as in good food, good wine and good company. And, of course, ballet.

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,081 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

The 2013 Kennedy Center Honors recipients are announced.

Controversy erupted after a fiery exchange between Kennedy Center President Michael Kaiser and Felix Sanchez, chairman of the National Hispanic Foundation for the Arts, in which Kaiser used profane language. Kaiser apologized and the Center took action, amending the selection process by creating an artist review panel and opening the nomination process up to the public on its Web site. With two artists of Hispanic descent among the honorees, the process appears to have fostered greater ethnic diversity.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,081 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:42 AM

A story on American Ballet Theatre's new racial diversity initiative, "Project Plie," by Pia Catton in The Wall Street Journal.

"We have an access problem in a big way," said Rachel Moore, ABT's executive director. "The demographics of this country are radically changing. We're not going to be relevant in 50 years if we don't look like America."

For centuries, ballet drew mainly from Western European and Russian populations. In the modern era, male ballet dancers of many ethnicities have reached the highest ranks, but the same hasn't been as often the case for ballerinas, even though their numbers are vastly greater.

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,081 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:13 AM

Sergei Filin  is returning to Moscow.

The Bolshoi’s spokeswoman, Katerina Novikova, told Reuters that the troupe hoped Mr. Filin would recover and return but that “to what extent he will be able to take part in the life of the troupe, that will become clear in the nearest future.” The theater did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Thursday.

#9 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,081 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:35 AM

Dance Theatre of Tennessee will perform "Giselle" outdoors.

“Classical ballet will always have a timeless appeal,” notes Christopher Mohnani, Dance Theatre of Tennessee artistic director. “They are called ‘classics’ for a reason.” Last year’s inaugural event, which featured “Carmen,” drew more than 1,300 people for just two performances, he says, “a strong indication” of the desire for an outdoor classical dance series.

#10 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,081 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:02 PM

Q&A with Georgina Pazcoguin  by Gia Kourlas in Time Out New York.

Time Out New York: Do you still enjoy dancing Balanchine?

Georgina Pazcoguin: I love Balanchine. I wish I could do more Balanchine. Please, with my love of Jerry and of new choreography, I don’t want to exclude the Balanchine work at all. I love the Balanchine rep, although the governing factors have not placed me in the lineup to take on those roles. There’s always a hope; there’s always a change. Not for changing me, but for changing what they see. It’s what they see. It’s not that I couldn’t do these things. I could. If they gave me a chance to rehearse these things, I could do them and show it to them and make a believer of them—it’s just getting in the room. I don’t know what parameters and what exactly they need other than body type, which obviously can’t change.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):