This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

SFB Union Negotiations with Dancers

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,753 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:09 PM

Good news indeed.

From the Times piece   "“The problem in all ballet companies is that the orchestra members get paid more money than dancers, usually significantly more,” he said. The San Francisco dancers wanted the company to begin to address the disparities in compensation, he said, which they did."

I'm curious to know how they are planning to deal with this issue -- the relationship between ballet companies and their musicians is often fraught, and comes up over and over again in budgeting.  I'll look forward to hearing more.

#17 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:40 PM

The dispute has been resolved.  Good news!

http://artsbeat.blog...union/?ref=arts

Great news, Abatt. I just found the explanation to be rather confusing:

“The problem in all ballet companies is that the orchestra members get paid more money than dancers, usually significantly more,” he said. The San Francisco dancers wanted the company to begin to address the disparities in compensation, he said, which they did."

We had heard before that: 1) money wasn't actually the issue, and 2) the artist were seeking better, more respectful 'treatment' from management (whatever that might be).

I have to say I am still confused as to what exactly transpired.

#18 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:46 PM

Yes, I'm confused too.  You can negotiate about concrete items like number of hours to be worked or pay scale.  Vague concepts like "more respect" and "better treatment" are too lacking in specificity to be the subject of a contract negotiation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):