This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I wonder if it's geo-blocked, because when I click the link, the URL resolves to on.aol.ca and a message that the page cannot be found, and when I try to correct the URL (change ".ca" to ."com") it won't let me.

Darn! I wonder if there are copyright issues with the other content on that site. I found out about it from an NYCB Twitter:

New York City Ballet @nycballet 19m

The city.ballet. AOL On showpage is live. Subscribe for latest news incl official launch date: http://cityballet.com pic.twitter.com/TDqk3sWV5Y

I wonder if it's geo-blocked, because when I click the link, the URL resolves to on.aol.ca and a message that the page cannot be found, and when I try to correct the URL (change ".ca" to ."com") it won't let me.

I had the same problem (from Toronto) linking to the URL given on NYCB's facebook page, but when I try this one, it works"

http://on.aol.com/show/cityballet-517887470/episodes

However, it tells me to click "Subscribe" if I want to be alerted when the first episode is available and I can't find a

"subscribe" button anywhere.

I've been watching this from Europe and it's coming in fine. I'll do something that I normally wouldn't. I'm writing this without yet seeing the ending. The reason is that I don't want to rush through any of it so that I can comment. This is a very sympathetic and comprehensive documentary that I would definitely recommend viewing.

I feel like it is all about the human interest and sociology of dancing... I don't see much love of a phrase of choreography beyond 7 counts, but then maybe that is true of dancers? That they love the dancing more than the dance itself?

However, those short bytes of dance are extremely appetizing... Very well put together and very watchable...

I'll keep my fingers crossed that some future episode goes beyond the artistry to the art.

Yes, I meant the editing... masterful editing, truly, the show is eyecandy throughout,... I am sure there are dancers at NYCB because of the fantastic repertoire... We have heard it elsewhere... Maybe this was about introducing us to the dancers and the next will show more than a quick glimpse of the repertoire that inspires them? This could almost been about some other company. I saw plenty of dancing but not much dance... And this talented creative crew could give us that beautifully when they decide they want to do it. Maybe they were working within legal limits of how much choreography vould be shown?

I remember in one of the articles about the series (possibly the Wall Street Journal article) it was mentioned that because of contract issues they could not film the performances during the Fall season in the theater.

I loved watching the series. And every Tuesday and Friday in November they will keep adding extra videos. For example, today a video was added with Sarah Jessica Parker interviewing Peter Martins.

I don't know what piece it is with the diagonal white set piece, but a lot of the footage seemed to be of that and lots of Ashley Bouder and practicing "Swan Lake," with plenty of repeats. I didn't see much indication of any Balanchine or Robbins, but maybe that's because I can't "Name That Ballet" in three steps.

Ah, to think this makes the clips in "Breaking Pointe" seem extensive.

Looks like an effective recruiting tool for SAB really. But I'm seeing more similarities than differences between cityballet and Breaking Pointe. Fortunately we don't get angsty relationship sub-stories - focus stays mainly on life at the studios. But as others have pointed out, this isn't an opportunity to watch ballet performances.

Maybe a recruiting tool for dance in general... (could SAB even benefit from a recruiting tool? Isn't it already the most elite academy in the United States?)

The interview with Martins posted more recently is interesting. I didn't realize NYCB has commissioned more music than the Philharmonic and the Met combined!

Absolutely GONE on it. I'm watching the first episode again. Yes, dancers are ridden with anxiety and so full of hopes and fears about their immediate futures that if you ask them to tell you about it, they will, and you'll be sorry. Ask ME about my left hip and o my God will I tell you but you'll be sorry you asked. And how I made my port de bras so interesting? Dancers are hella fun to be around, there's a unique sense of humor -- but they're not interesting to TALK to. But Lincoln Kirstein said that long ago, It can't be helped. The poor are always with you.

But the show is fabulous. I don't get any sense of manufactured conflicts. Perhaps Amasar and Chase are not sucds as they seem to be -- maybe they're emphasizing such diversity as exists in the company -- on the other hand, ther hearts are in the right place. The guys who had to put up with shit because they wanted to dance are well-represented. I'd like to see somebody who is OPENLY gay, but maybe they'll get around to that. And -- though I'm gay and write for a gay paper -- I accept the fact that not all male dancers are gay, maybe not even these days MOST of them, since it HAS become a real job. I don't mind Andrew Veyette being married to a woman he seems to love -- in fact, I think they're adorable -- and it's also cool that he dances with someone who's more his own size and not his wife.

What I really love is how well the material is presented -- jete battu in slow motion -- o my god they don't brush AT ALL -- they keep the sitz bone down, but there's barely contact of the TOE with the floor before the leg degages -- so THAT's the co-ordination [at least if you're in pointe shoes]. It's just so honest. And Peter comes across very well -- like Brigitte Lefebvre in the Wiseman documentary, he's plausible as the guy at the top -- "the dancers really cast themselves." I can see why they accept him as director -- I can see why Balanchine cast him as the new director, he sees who he's got and how they mature and what might be to come....

Those are my first thoughts. I'm GONE on it......

Paul, as to whether dancers are interesting to talk to, I would say that they've expressed themselves extremely well.

Also, you used the phrase "their hearts are in the right place." That's what captivates me about everyone in the series. No matter what negatives they face, which someday hopefully will be resolved,

they're in love with creating beauty.

The guys who had to put up with shit because they wanted to dance are well-represented. I'd like to see somebody who is OPENLY gay, but maybe they'll get around to that.

I could have done without all the hoisting of the bro cups over the male-to-female ratio in ballet studios, though. (Episode 8: Male Dancers)

And I'd like to see a same-sex couple. I realize that this is AOL ... but the demographic this series is targeting is commendably relaxed about same-sex marriage. (According to a March 2013 ABC / Washington Post poll, 81% of adults under 30 are in favor of same-sex marriage.)

The guys who had to put up with shit because they wanted to dance are well-represented. I'd like to see somebody who is OPENLY gay, but maybe they'll get around to that.

I could have done without all the hoisting of the bro cups over the male-to-female ratio in ballet studios, though. (Episode 8: Male Dancers)

And I'd like to see a same-sex couple. I realize that this is AOL ... but the demographic this series is targeting is commendably relaxed about same-sex marriage. (According to a March 2013 ABC / Washington Post poll, 81% of adults under 30 are in favor of same-sex marriage.)

Yes, Kathleen. My non-dance friends can't believe that the ballet world seems to be so obsessed with heterosexuality. Sometimes I can't, either.

Word.