5 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,840 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:55 PM

An interview with Miko Fogarty and her mother Satoko by Kaori Shoji in The Japan Times.

During our meeting, Satoko’s gaze was rarely off her daughter, and clearly there was a bond that went beyond the maternal. They’re both performance-arts professionals and, as such, her mother seems to know exactly what Miko requires to climb up another rung on the sky-high ballet ladder.

“It’s not a question of what she wants, really,” said Satoko (in English). “Because what she wants is to do ballet. It’s always a question of what she needs to get to the place she wants to go with the ballet. There’s nothing else.”

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,840 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:00 PM

Kansas City Ballet holds a rehearsal open to the public. Photo gallery.

At the Ballet, visitors received a behind-the-scenes peek into the process of bringing a performance to the stage during an open rehearsal hosted by new Artistic Director Devon Carney. Company dancers glided gracefully across the practice floor as they performed excerpts from five ballets featured in KC Ballet's Fall performances.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,840 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:02 PM

A review of Houston Ballet's season opener by Kristina Nungaray for Broadway World.

The second ballet of the production is a world premiere from former Houston Ballet dancer Melissa Hough. Set to Gabriel Prokofiev's String Quartet No. 1, ...THE THIRD KIND [IS] USELESS. is a marvelously jarring and enigmatic piece of modern dance that is both sensual and radical. Reminiscent of performance art, Melissa Hough's ...THE THIRD KIND [IS] USELESS. is a successful amalgamation of several styles that keeps the viewer watching each dancer with bated breath. Connor Walsh excels as the male lead whose inner humanness and psychological torment is exposed. He dexterously emanates a confidence and dominance while slowly altering to show an inner turmoil. Kelly Myernick delivers a powerful performance as Connor Walsh's foil....

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,840 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:05 PM

A review of Ballet Manila by Rosalinda L. Orosa for The Philippine Star.

In their English translation, they were Twelve Happy Princesses choreographed by artistic director prima ballerina Lisa Macuja Elizalde, assisted by Rudy de Dios, Sofia Sangco Peralta and Francis Jaena to the music of Arnold Buena; The Palace of the Dwarfs choreographed by Gerardo Francisco Jr. assisted by Romeo Peralta, Naomi Jaena and Kris-Belle Pacibar Mamangun to the music of composer-arranger Diwa de Leon; Anting-Anting (Amulet) choreographed by co-artistic director Osias Barroso assisted by Michael Divinagracia to the music of composer-arranger Juan Carlo Magsalin.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,840 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:09 AM

From the Kennedy Center website, an interview with David Hallberg by Michael Kaiser. Video.

David Hallberg, ABT principal dancer and Bolshoi Ballet premier dancer, discusses his technique and training, the world of ballet, and being the first and only American premier dancer at Bolshoi Ballet in its 237-year history.

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,840 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:33 PM

Q&A with Darcey Bussell about the new season of "Strictly Come Dancing."

Do the judges receive feedback about how the celebrities are progressing between the launch show and their first performance on Friday, September 27th?

I wish we did! We don't see or hear a thing until their first performance. I'm actually quite busy over the next few weeks doing a documentary about dancing for BBC2, so I'll be filming that in between. It's about the history of dance and looking at the divas of the ballet world. I'll be travelling to Russia to speak to a lot of dancers over there. Luckily, I'm a natural diva too so it all comes easily to me!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):