This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Alexandra Danilova and Frederic Franklin, Gaité Parisienne

The Joffrey has had a number of Massine's ballets in their repertory at one point or another (Robert Joffrey was very important at getting some of them reconstructed) but they aren't always in production and it's so very easy to lose work that isn't being performed.

Another version with Danilova/Franklin -- taken from a Ballet Russe performance -- can be found here. (Skip the add unless you want to break the mood.)

I am hesitant to admit that I am not fond of Danilova in either video. Franklin, on the other hand, gives everything just the finish I look for to save this kind of piece from charges of trivia. tiphat.gif

I like the above so much better than this Hollywood version (with another stellar cast)... The cinematography is just so manipulated that the dancers start to look incongruent compared with typical movie characters we are used to seeing on such movie settings, and the choreography is interfered with, obscured and sqished into new dimensions... As if the director was just trying a little too hard.

Just about right, but I think I recall hearing that the video had been recorded in snippets over a ten-year period and the audio recording made about 1954.

The visuals are compiled from several years of diligent filming, in small takes (he used a spring-loaded camera that made for short takes), and the audio is from a single performance in the 50s. It was edited together much more recently (can't get to my copy to check) and is an excellent record of that work and those artists, despite the wonky aspects of its creation.