This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Hamburg Ballet to dance Neumeier's A Midsummer Night’s DreamHamburg Ballet returns to the War Memorial Opera House (Feb. 2014)

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:16 PM

Yes, and the Royal Ballet, despite its reputation for dramatic ballets, had undergone a fallow period in that regard. When Christopher Wheeldon staged Alice's Adventures in Wonderland in 2011, it was noted that the RB hadn't produced a new full-length story ballet in 16 years, and in that case the female leads went to Lauren Cuthbertson and Zenaida Yanowsky. Perhaps if Cojocaru had remained with the Royal Ballet she may have danced in Wheeldon's new The Winter's Tale, but I guess we'll never know. On the other hand, Neumeier produces a new evening-length narrative ballet practically every season, and his works typically have a large number of leading roles. No doubt this goes a long way toward keeping his dancers happy and motivated, and presumably Cojocaru's own experiences of working with the Hamburg Ballet over the past couple of years convinced her that she wanted to be part of its creative atmosphere, even if she wished to keep London as her home base.

#17 naomikage

naomikage

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:34 PM

Sorry this press release is in German, but Hamburg Ballet has announced the guesting of Aina Cojocaru this season.

http://www.hamburgba...na_cojocaru.pdf

She calls Hamburg Ballet "her second home" in this release. I think she hasn't even danced 23 times in her recent years at RB.

I am not sure yet but Neumeier will be creating a new full length "Tatiana" based on Pushkin's Evgeni Onegin this season so Cojocaru might be in the creation. 

#18 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,329 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:52 PM

She calls Hamburg Ballet "her second home" in this release. I think she hasn't even danced 23 times in her recent years at RB.

No wonder she's not there anymore.

#19 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:57 PM

The Hamburg Ballet has posted a video of some young people getting a hands-on introduction to A Midsummer Night's Dream, including watching rehearsals and trying out some of the moves themselves.

#20 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:47 PM

Just announced: "Thursday evening (Feb 13, 8pm) includes the apperance of  international ballet sensation Alina Cojocaru."

#21 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:35 AM

I am not sure yet but Neumeier will be creating a new full length "Tatiana" based on Pushkin's Evgeni Onegin this season so Cojocaru might be in the creation. 

off%20topic.gif  Tatiana is being created on Hélène Bouchet, Edvin Revazov, Leslie Heylmann, Alexandr Trusch and Carsten Jung. For now there is no alternate cast.

#22 Josette

Josette

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:41 AM

I hope the Hamburg Ballet brings Tatiana to Orange County in a couple of years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):