This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Yulia Stepanova

tamicute

Going with an open mind to any performance is important. But actually enough financial and sometimes health stress is involved in my ballet travels that I tend to attend performances with a predisposition to find something to admire and enjoy.

But I have seen this particular production in the theatre (not just broadcasts) several times with different casts, though of course I don’t get to see it as often as some others on this website. Perceptions can change over the years with different performances and having learned new things etc, so maybe that will happen if I see this Swan Lake in 2019.  But this production is not an unknown entity or new to me. (I also saw Grigorovich’s earlier production in one of the most thrilling performances I was ever lucky enough to see—with Semenyaka.) And the measures of Tchaikovsky’s score that the current production cuts have also always seemed to me among the most transformative and moving ever written for ballet....

I am not sure why seeing a lot of ballets on bare stages changes the fact that one can prefer some sets and costumes to others. (Even with bare stage ballets—some seem suited to the bareness while others definitely feel as if something is missing. I have often wished I could see Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto no, 2 with its original Ballet Imperial drop which showed the citiscape of St. Petersburg with the Peter and Paul fortress.)

Anyway, if I am fortunate enough to make it to London to see the Bolshoi (as I am going to try!)  I am hoping to see Stepanova in either Swan Lake or Bayadere, but certainly the one production I most hope to see this summer in London (and spitting to ward off the evil eye) is Bayadere...

Edited by Drew

You won't be disappointed with Stepanova in either Swan Lake or Bayadere, Drew - she is magnificent in both!  I would think Kovalyova also must be a likely contender for both roles in London, and she is a lovely ballerina already at her young age!   Personally I don't like the Grigorovich Swan Lake, or Taming of the Shrew, but I love Bayadere and Spartacus.  Each to his/her own!  

Tsvirko is back at the Bolshoi?  The stint in Budapest is over?  Good for him.  When I saw a gala of the Hungarian  State Opera and National Ballet in New York last November it looked as if it was borrowed from the playbook of Shen Yun propaganda shows. No wonder Tsvirko did not last in that hostile environment.

I just found this YouTube channel, which appears to be new. I think I'm right that one of the two videos is new, and the other is a year or 18 months old.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_ITNMKKfCAvKR4BsAeS76g

That points towards this site, which also seems to be new and to be very professionally done. 

http://www.yuliastepanova.com/

I cannot find either of these on this dancer's discussion forum; so I hope this is the right place to post.

A revealing new video about YS's forthcoming leading role in Raymonda. I'm not in much of a position to offer a critique about what she says, even though it's subtitled into English. But what does strike me is that this is the thinking of a dancer-actress; and that's what communicates to me about her dancing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm6L5AHVU3g

I'd be interested to know what experienced members of this forum have to say about it, because — and as seems often to be the case with YS — the number of upticks and downticks on this video suggests that opinion varies.

Edited by cyclingmartin

I gather that Yulia Stepanova has been out of action for some months. On her Instagram page she reported that this was because of injury; that was some time around last March. So I was glad to see her given main billing in several of the ballets advertised by the Bolshoi in October, November and December of 2020, including Carmen Suite, A Hero of Our Time and Symphony in C.

Was anyone from BalletAlert at any of these performances? Or has anyone seen reviews of them?  I'm just wondering if YS is back to her usual form as a dancer and actress. I do hope so.

17 hours ago, cyclingmartin said:

I gather that Yulia Stepanova has been out of action for some months. On her Instagram page she reported that this was because of injury; that was some time around last March. So I was glad to see her given main billing in several of the ballets advertised by the Bolshoi in October, November and December of 2020, including Carmen Suite, A Hero of Our Time and Symphony in C.

Was anyone from BalletAlert at any of these performances? Or has anyone seen reviews of them?  I'm just wondering if YS is back to her usual form as a dancer and actress. I do hope so.

Thank you for livening this thread up.  It is great news to hear that she is healthy and performing.  Yulia is a gorgeous dancer/actress.  Yes please - if anyone has any reviews I'd love to see them as well.