Yulia StepanovaWhy is she not a major star?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#16 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:31 PM

That was fast! Thank you for posting.  

#17 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:46 PM

Having heard great things about Stepanova I must admit I found the clip disappointing. The unsteadiness of her free leg was surprising, as was the lack of musicality. She seemed to be going from pose to pose without any inner life, and the iconic steps weren't well articulated. In particular, those final beats on the leg in the White Swan pas de deux were hardly done at all. Her jump also seems very weak. But it is a first-night performance and I can only imagine the nerves. I have no doubt she will grow in this role.

#18 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:49 AM

Her Odile. I like it much more. I love the fact that she did the double frappes in the variation:

#19 Buddy

Buddy

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:48 AM

I've now watched the famous Odette duet posted above by artsong perhaps 15 times, initially out of admiration for the portrayal by her partner, Xander Parish, and I've come to appreciate her more and more. I think that she is extremely beautiful here. I almost always focus completely on the ballerina in this duet. For the first time in years my attention is shared with both. I think that they have found a very good balance of mutual support and interaction.

#20 moushka

moushka

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:08 PM

I just noticed that Yulia will dance Odette/Odile in London on Tuesday, August 5. I would so love to be there! Of course, Skoryk is opening - so disappointing as the critics probably won't see Yulia. At least she's getting some good roles now. Thank you to whoever posted the link to the ROB site as you can click through to see who's dancing when. Also, she's dancing Firebird on August 11th. There's a video of that performance with Ilya Kuznetsov on YT. i'll try to post a link.

#21 Tiara

Tiara

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:14 AM

Having heard great things about Stepanova I must admit I found the clip disappointing. The unsteadiness of her free leg was surprising, as was the lack of musicality. She seemed to be going from pose to pose without any inner life, and the iconic steps weren't well articulated. In particular, those final beats on the leg in the White Swan pas de deux were hardly done at all. Her jump also seems very weak. But it is a first-night performance and I can only imagine the nerves. I have no doubt she will grow in this role.

I was present at this debut, and rate Stepanova's Odette/Odile as the best I have seen.  Her portrayal was truly miraculous - there is no other dancer in Mariinsky who has her expressiveness, her beautiful arms and upper body and the flow of arms.  Her Odette was tender, gentle and feminine, flowing through her movement and her Odile was bewitching and glamorous with particularly fine variation and great fouettes.  It was an unbelievable performance, and she had great applause from the audience and also an unbelievable amount of flowers.  I count myself lucky to have seen what is a historic debut!

#22 Lidewij

Lidewij

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:15 AM

Thanks for the heads up! Since my birthday is on August 4th, I think I might treat myself a trip to London.. smile.png

I also saw Kondaurova's second performance of Swan Lake back in 2009, will be interesting to compare.

#23 Lidewij

Lidewij

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:08 AM

I'm very much hoping (and actually expecting) it will be vastly superior. Kondaurova's Odile was exciting, but Odette was empty.

Now I only hope that casting won't be changed. I would accept (but still be disappointed) to see Somova, Kolegova or Lopatkina; I just would't want to make the trip (and spend the €€) to London for you-know-who.

#24 moushka

moushka

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:55 PM

I would so love to see Stepanova live in London! I thought that, in addition to her strong technique (esp. her arms/upper body), her acting was fabulous, although I only saw the videos on YT. She makes every step seem fresh and exciting. Her musicality is exceptional. It must have been a great pleasure for Ilya to dance with her at her O/O debut after so many years of waiting. I hope Yulia will be given many more opportunities to dance O/O.

#25 moushka

moushka

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:22 PM

Since it is now only a month until Stepanova's London Odette/Odile, is anyone able to attend and report back?

#26 Lidewij

Lidewij

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 03:49 AM

I bought a ticket for the August 5th performance, now we only have to hope casting will not change. Unfortunately the past tells us that casting in the Russian companies is unsure until the curtain goes up..

#27 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:29 PM

I just posted a review of her second Swan Lake under the 2014 White Nights thread. I think you will be happy you purchased tickets for her.

#28 Mathilde K

Mathilde K

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:00 AM

The unsteadiness of her free leg was surprising, as was the lack of musicality.

That must be the effect of a really poor quality of the video. She is one of the more musical dancers I saw. I snatched a really good ticket for her «Swan Lake» in London which means I will be making travel arrangements soon. I saw her many times in «Swan Lake» before, unfortunately in all but one cases as one of the four Big Swans or dancing Spanish Dance.

#29 Mathilde K

Mathilde K

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:21 PM

Rehearsing «Sylvia» in the middle, and «Swan Lake» with Xander Parish

fs-zzoOyqHg.jpg

#30 Mathilde K

Mathilde K

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:26 PM

and one more

waCAzpfJkUo.jpg

2 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

alexaa1a, bingham

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):