This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Yulia Stepanova

tamicute

Yulia Stepanova and Denis Rodkin will appear in the "Malakhov and Friends" gala in Berlin on September 2nd and 3rd.

Do we know what they'll be dancing at the gala?

By the way, here are pics of Stepanova and Rodkin in Macbeth......

http://www.jackdevant.com/yulia-stepanova-denis-rodkin-macbeth/

Stunning photos! They certainly show how well suited to each other they are, at least appearance-wise. Rodkin's strong masculine vibe is a good match for Stepanova's soft femininity. Unfortunately we don't seem to have any YouTube videos of Rodkin and Stepanova dancing together, at least not that I'm aware of.

There was a segment on Yulia on the program "Who's there" today (the segment was supposed to air in April but was cut for some reason. It's about 9:20 minutes or more in, after the segment on the actress. She talks about how she got started and why she left the Mariinsky. They show clips of her from Bayadere, Giselle, and Hero of our time, plus some class footage. Some comments from Rodykin. Then she takes about her hobby (she makes bracelets and diadems etc).

http://www.ontvtime.ru/index.php?option=com_content&task=view_record&id=1490&start_record=2016-06-19-13-05

It should also eventually be up here

http://tvkultura.ru/brand/show/brand_id/20897/

There was a segment on Yulia on the program "Who's there" today (the segment was supposed to air in April but was cut for some reason. It's about 9:20 minutes or more in, after the segment on the actress. She talks about how she got started and why she left the Mariinsky. They show clips of her from Bayadere, Giselle, and Hero of our time, plus some class footage. Some comments from Rodykin. Then she takes about her hobby (she makes bracelets and diadems etc).

http://www.ontvtime.ru/index.php?option=com_content&task=view_record&id=1490&start_record=2016-06-19-13-05

It should also eventually be up here

http://tvkultura.ru/brand/show/brand_id/20897/

It's now up on YouTube as well.

It's interesting that the release was postponed until now -- perhaps to introduce Yulia to the Russian audience so they will know who she is when it comes time for promotions?

Thank you for the link. If anyone who knows Russian has the time to summarize what she says about the Mariinsky and her move to the Bolshoi, that would be much appreciated.

She gave a fairly diplomatic explanation for her departure from the Mariinsky, saying she wanted something more (bigger roles etc) and was sending out her resume to Moscow and abroad. No complaints or any bad words about her time in the Mariinsky.

She gave a fairly diplomatic explanation for her departure from the Mariinsky, saying she wanted something more (bigger roles etc) and was sending out her resume to Moscow and abroad. No complaints or any bad words about her time in the Mariinsky.

Thank you --

Drew,

A Russian friend says Stepanova says, “В этом театре в меня верят, у меня прямо крылья выросли как мне кажется, и как будто я заново полюбила балет и заново у меня появились мечты.”

Translation (not very easy to translate it very faithfully, preserving every nuance of her thought):

“In this theater (i.e., at Bolshoi) they have trust in me, and I really feel I have grown wings, I think, as if I fell in love with ballet again and my dreams reappeared again.”

Also, Rodkin is saying that Posokhov himself chose Yulia Stepanova for the first cast in his ballet for which he was awarded the Benois de la danse prize a month later.

Some of my Russian friend's friends say that Stepanova should not have done the interview because she is not able to speak about the real reasons of why she left the Mariinsky, while others think she had to be interviewed since this program introduces "new stars" to the general public.

Drew,

A Russian friend says Stepanova says, “В этом театре в меня верят, у меня прямо крылья выросли как мне кажется, и как будто я заново полюбила балет и заново у меня появились мечты.”

Translation (not very easy to translate it very faithfully, preserving every nuance of her thought):

“In this theater (i.e., at Bolshoi) they have trust in me, and I really feel I have grown wings, I think, as if I fell in love with ballet again and my dreams reappeared again.”

Also, Rodkin is saying that Posokhov himself chose Yulia Stepanova for the first cast in his ballet for which he was awarded the Benois de la danse prize a month later.

Some of my Russian friend's friends say that Stepanova should not have done the interview because she is not able to speak about the real reasons of why she left the Mariinsky, while others think she had to be interviewed since this program introduces "new stars" to the general public.

Thank you for the translation. I am confused, though, about what Rodkin said -- I thought Olga Smirnova "owned" the role of Bela in Posokhov's A Hero of Our Time (for which he won the Benois de la Danse) so how could Yulia be "first cast"? Or is that just a statement of Posokhov's preference?

Also, I'm mystified why anybody thinks she should have passed up this interview. Of course she did the interview! It gave her the opportunity to briefly explain to the Russian TV audience how she came to the Bolshoi. She may have been advised not to go into detail about what happened at Mariinsky, and frankly, I think that was very good advice. Why dredge up the past when things are working out so well for her now? She has her career back, she is valued, she has opportunity. Her success at the Bolshoi will be the best revenge.

She is so beautiful, gentle and dreamy in this interview. You can see why she is such a great Lilac Fairy and Queen of the Dryads. I'm glad she's back on track living her dreams.

I also don't see why she has to even go into detail about her reasons for leaving. I read Russian interviews from various personalities and they can choose to reveal as much or as little as they want. Using a non-ballet example, when figure skater Maxim Trankov first split with his partner to team up with Tatiana Volosozhar, he aired every grievance he had with his previous partner and their coach (and some were personal attacks). On the other hand, when the ice dance couple of Elena Ilinykh and Nikita Katsalapov split, both sides chose a more passive aggressive approach and skirted around their reasons for their split. It's their choice.

And in general, this is Kultura, which is like PBS or what Bravo and A&E used to be before the reality shows. You are not going to get any scandal like you get on an NTV show. And just to add, I'm not sure Yulia would even say anything bad about the Mariinsky if given the opportunity. She strikes me as very cultured and diplomatic.

Deflope --thank you for the further translations. What Stepanova says about the Bolshoi is lovely. [Edited to say that Deflope corrected me below--thank you Birdsall!]

Smirnova was the first Bela--and seems to have been very well received in the role. If I remember correctly, when the ballet had its first run, the second cast was Vinogradova. I can't say what Rodkin may have said/intended. (Certainly the producer of this feature liked showing Stepanova in midriff-baring roles.)

Thank your for translation! I also don't see why this interview inappropriate or can do any harm to Yulia. And she IS a new star - she had danced in Mariinsky and Stanislavsky but never had *star roles* that she has or is scheduled to dance soon and the public/audience didn't recognize her as a star. When the Bolshoi website provides the information on her complete career I don't understand this... And she just said about her wiil, nothing about Mariinsky management or the theatre itself.

Weren't there any similar interviews of Obraztsova or Zakharova about why the came to the Bolshoi?

I think people are misunderstanding what I wrote. Maybe not. I think she was specifically asked about leaving the Mariinsky. That is why she brought it up (she didn't; she was asked). The people in question that I mentioned above are just worried she will be put in awkward situations pressed to speak about the past when she agrees to interviews, but many others are happy she is being recognized as a new star and being interviewed.

Rodkin meant that Hero of our Time starred Stepanova when she was available (joined). Smirnova did have the world premiere, but once Stepanova came on the scene Posokhov wanted her.

I am not sure if I misunderstand, Euphra, what you are saying about her not having starring roles. Do you mean no upcoming "new" roles or no big roles at the Bolshoi? I am a bit confused. If you are saying she has had no starring roles, I don't agree. At the Mariinsky she danced Odette/Odile, Myrtha, Lilac Fairy, Gamzatti, Mercedes, Street Dancer, Queen of the Dryads, Sylvia, and some other smaller roles (some of the ones I named are small roles but important ones). There are probably other things I am forgetting at the moment.

At the Bolshoi she has danced Lilac Fairy, Florine, Nikiya, Hero of our Time, Frank Bridge Variation, Myrthe and soon to add Odette/Odile and Medora on the Bolshoi London tour.

She is being groomed for stardom, in my personal opinion.

I think people are misunderstanding what I wrote. Maybe not. I think she was specifically asked about leaving the Mariinsky. That is why she brought it up (she didn't; she was asked). The people in question that I mentioned above are just worried she will be put in awkward situations pressed to speak about the past when she agrees to interviews, but many others are happy she is being recognized as a new star and being interviewed.

I think it's a question that will be asked of anyone who chooses to leave or forgo an opportunity at a big company and she probably has a canned answer for this. Even Zhiganshina gets asked this, in interviews with websites and every single time she did a Periscope session, which are essentially fan chats and theoretically, anything goes. And every single time, she gave the "more opportunity" answer. No mention at all about a rumored "humiliating non offer" from Fateyev.

My first corporate job was horrible and the company was lucky to keep someone for more than a year. The turn over is such that everyone in my field has either worked for them or knows someone who has. Yet, in every job interview, I know I will get asked about why I left and I have an answer prepared. Even if I get baited by the interviewer, I know not to trash them.

Birdsall, I think I should correct what I said about the roles. Sorry for any confusion. I meant that even though she had danced those important roles at the Mariinsky, they weren't her regular roles - she only danced them a few times or less (and she didn't have a good partner either, imo). What she's getting in the first year of the Bolshoi now is truly remarkable! My favourite company is still the Mariinsky, but I can't wait for Bolshoi's London tour this summer.

Birdsall, I think I should correct what I said about the roles. Sorry for any confusion. I meant that even though she had danced those important roles at the Mariinsky, they weren't her regular roles - she only danced them a few times or less (and she didn't have a good partner either, imo). What she's getting in the first year of the Bolshoi now is truly remarkable! My favourite company is still the Mariinsky, but I can't wait for Bolshoi's London tour this summer.

Yes, I totally agree that she kept getting partnered by someone learning the ropes, so to speak.

I prefer the Mariinsky, but Fateyev has publicly stated that he feels Vaganova grads are good for the corps and not for soloists.....he keeps hiring outside dancers who he promotes while amazing Vaganova grads are being ignored, in my opinion. In stark contrast, the Bolshoi is snapping up some choice Vaganova grads and promoting them, so my allegiance is starting to shift toward the Bolshoi as well. Vaganova Academy, that used to feed into the Mariinsky, is supplying some great soloists to Bolshoi now. Crazy! I mean, there has always been some St. Petersburg ballerinas who moved over to the Bolshoi but for Mariinsky to ignore the choice picks or leave them stuck in the corps while the Bolshoi takes some top picks and grooms them......that to me seems crazy.......

Yes, I totally agree that she kept getting partnered by someone learning the ropes, so to speak.

I prefer the Mariinsky, but Fateyev has publicly stated that he feels Vaganova grads are good for the corps and not for soloists.....he keeps hiring outside dancers who he promotes while amazing Vaganova grads are being ignored, in my opinion. In stark contrast, the Bolshoi is snapping up some choice Vaganova grads and promoting them, so my allegiance is starting to shift toward the Bolshoi as well. Vaganova Academy, that used to feed into the Mariinsky, is supplying some great soloists to Bolshoi now. Crazy! I mean, there has always been some St. Petersburg ballerinas who moved over to the Bolshoi but for Mariinsky to ignore the choice picks or leave them stuck in the corps while the Bolshoi takes some top picks and grooms them......that to me seems crazy.......

Do you know why I am interested in the Bolshoi more than in Mariinsky these days? I went to St. Petersburg in January for one week, and long before the trip I bought tickets for all the ballet performances in that week, which included Giselle, two Sylvias, Le Corsaire and Don Quixote not knowing the cast. I never knew that I would get a total messed up cast for 4 out of 5 performances. Also it was so sad to watch many outstanding dancers buried in the corps or some small roles constantly. However, I get the feeling that Bolshoi is different, especially after reading recent interviews of Vaziev and seeing how the company treats Yulia and other talented ones.

I want to see Vaganova grads dancing principal roles so bad. So you are not the only one. I totally understand.

She is dancing Diamonds on July 9!

Another wonderful news! Thank you. :)