This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

'Track-by-track' story synopses for ballet music?If you want to understand and enjoy a ballet's narrative just by listening to an album...

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 goodpointe

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:08 AM

Hello all, I'm new to both the board and to ballet, so please make the usual n00b allowances. I was wondering if anybody here knows of a good source (preferably online) of detailed ballet synopses, where the synopsis is divided by each separate piece/number/track in the ballet? Obviously there would be some variation from recording to recording and production to production, but I hope that, for some of the classics at least, I can find a fairly universal piece-by-piece breakdown. For example, some ballet recordings' CD liner notes provide this for each track on the CD - "1. General Russian-themed celebratory dance, 2. The princess searches for the missing ring", etc. Thank you for your help.

(If you're curious as to why I'm asking: I've long been interested in musicals, and would like to further investigate other art forms that can use music to tell stories. I find I often enjoy listening to music and imagining the story, as much as  / more than seeing a visual interpretation. I can easily, legally download ballet albums online, but without a segmented synopsis I'm lost as to the specifics of what's going on for any given track.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):