This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Hello, Friends,

I haven't contributed in quite a while due to other commitments but I want to share the obituary of one of Albany's most beloved musical beings: David Griggs-Janower. Professor of Music at UAlbany and the founder of the great Albany Pro Musica choral group, Maestro Griggs-Janower was a great musician and a great heart. His great heart was evident in the way he conducted his choral group and also in the many letters-to-the editor to the Albany Times Union on many subjects that had nothing to do with music. We will miss you, David. Our hearts are broken here in the Capital District with your passing.

Here is the link. You may also see him on YouTube. ~ Karen

http://www.timesunion.com/default/article/Choral-group-s-founder-dies-4760432.php

Choral group's founder dies David Griggs-Janower, 60, mourned as Albany Pro Musica's mentor By Amy Biancolli Updated 7:26 am, Monday, August 26, 2013
628x471.jpg
  • David Griggs-Janower

There are many great musicians who are integral to the musical life of cities and towns, and they often go unrecognized if they're not published in The New York Times or another major city newspaper. Two days after the retirement of Seattle Opera's last Chorus Master, Beth Kirchhoff, we learned that her predecessor, George Fiore, died. Fiore, too, contributed greatly to the robust musical culture in my old city, and I sympathize with your loss. My condolences to Mr. Griggs-Janower's family, his students, his audiences, and to his readers.

Thank you for your comments and condolences, Helene and Dirac. For anyone living in or near the Capital Region and Hudson Valley, Monday night our classical radio station WMHT 89.1/88.7 will reprise a memorial concert performed by Albany Pro Musica last night on Monday, Sept 2 at 8 pm, EST.

WHMT has the "Listen Live" feature on its website for streaming:

http://www.wmht.org/radio/classical/listen-live/

Many thanks, AlbanyGirl, for telling us about this concert.

Thank you, Helene - I always forget about the live streaming option. Now everyone can hear this wonderful concert performed by the Albany Pro Musica and hear the reminiscences of Dr. Griggs-Janower's colleagues and friends.

Thanks, Albany Girl. It's good to hear from you, even under these circumstances.

Choruses like Albany Pro Musica have a value that goes beyond the enjoyment they give to audiences. In my experience, choruses can be life lines to musical performance for those who have training (often quite a lot) as well as a love of singing, but whose life work has taken them in other directions.. In my experience, the instrumentalists are often paid professionals -- but the singers themselves are true amateurs in the sense that they love the chance to practice their art.

I looked at the Pro Musica website,and found the following information about the audition and membership policies. This brought back memories of the Hampton Choral Society -- also conducted by distinguished professional musician --which gave me the opportunity to "make music" at a high level, something I had assumed I would never have the chance to do again.

http://www.albanypromusica.org/about/audition/

Thanks, Albany Girl. It's good to hear from you, even under these circumstances.

Choruses like Albany Pro Musica have a value that goes beyond the enjoyment they give to audiences. In my experience, choruses can be life lines to musical performance for those who have training (often quite a lot) as well as a love of singing, but whose life work has taken them in other directions.. In my experience, the instrumentalists are often paid professionals -- but the singers themselves are true amateurs in the sense that they love the chance to practice their art.

I looked at the Pro Musica website,and found the following information about the audition and membership policies. This brought back memories of the Hampton Choral Society -- also conducted by distinguished professional musician --which gave me the opportunity to "make music" at a high level, something I had assumed I would never have the chance to do again.

http://www.albanypromusica.org/about/audition/

what a nice post, Bart. Thank you for sharing.