#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,126 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:35 AM

Olivia Bell photo gallery.

She will dance the lead role in Paquita in the Melbourne season of La Sylphide, which opens on Thursday and runs until September7 at the State Theatre.

A story on her announced retirement.

"I've had to listen to my heart. This year has been quite a juggling act, finding the balance between family and ballet. My daughter is 18 months old and my twin boys are four. They've been waiting patiently in the wings while mummy has had a dancing career."

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,126 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:38 AM

BMO Harris will sponsor Milwaukee Ballet's Nutcracker.

It takes about 250 people on stage and behind the scenes to put on the Nutcracker, said ballet Artistic Director Michael Pink, now in his 10th season at the helm of the company that was founded in 1970. These include 130 students from the ballet’s school, 45 dancers, a live orchestra and a children’s chorus.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,126 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:39 AM

Carlos Acosta makes his feature film debut.

The Cuban star plays the romantic lead in Day of the Flowers, which will be released in the Autumn. In the British film, two Scottish sisters (Charity Wakefield and Eva Birthistle) travel to Cuba to scatter their father’s ashes.

There they meet a handsome dancer-turned-tour-guide who has returned to Havana following an international performing career.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,126 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:41 AM

An interview with Eugene Ballet Academy graduates Mayim Stiller and Rachel Richardson.

Stiller, who turns 19 in December, recently graduated from the School of American Ballet in New York City, which is affiliated with the New York City Ballet. He has joined the roster of the Los Angeles Ballet Company, where he begins working in October.

Richardson remembers that her ballet career got off to a rather shaky start.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,126 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:48 AM

Q&A with Brian De Palma, who features a ballet sequence in his new picture, "Passion."

The ballet sequence is a highlight of the film. It reminded me of when Francis Ford Coppola placed a ballet scene in Tetro. In both cases it seemed there was a purpose beyond them just fitting in the films. Was that the case?

It's interesting you bring that up, because what I find interesting about Francis’s film, as well as Marty [Scorsese], is they all go back to The Red Shoes. When I saw Tetro you could see the influence of The Red Shoes in there, and Marty is a great admirer of the film; he did a fantastic restoration. And it's one of the most important films in my life. I saw it when I was very young. So the ballet for a movie director is all just motion and music, and I'd always liked Jerome Robbins’s Afternoon of a Faun and wanted to use it somehow. When I saw Love Crime, and Corneau had Isabelle going to the movies, I said, “Why doesn't she go to the ballet?” It's something I had never done before, but I liked thematically the sexual interplay between the dancers and what's going on with Rachel and her waiting for her lover.

Related.

"That was the most fun thing for me, because I love that ballet, and I had a chance to re-create it with an extraordinary dancer (Polina Semionova) now dancing with the American Ballet Theater, and this juxtaposing this fabulous Jerome Robbins ballet against the murder," De Palma said from his home in New York. "I'd never done anything like that before, and it created a tremendous aesthetic challenge. I thought it worked out quite well."

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,126 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:51 AM

Q&A with Pedro Pablo Peña on this year's International Ballet Festival of Miami.

As the economy has slowly improved from the dark days of the recession, are things still as difficult as a few years back?
I think they are still hard because for the arts there's never the support that they should get, especially in a city like Miami, which needs more of this backing at a more intense level. Why? Because Miami can't just be about beaches and fun, but also, it must show itself as a city that is thriving in the arts.

........ Banks used to be great sponsors, but not anymore. It is a global situation, and yes, the United States has suffered these poundings, but Miami has always had a sort of weakness in terms of supporting the arts.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,126 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:56 AM

Excerpts from Javier Pérez's video ballet, "En Punta."

Pérez explains his vision on Vimeo: "The ballerina appears as an eerie figure expressing effort, sacrifice and pain in her strive for perfection. Both fragile and cruel. Initially shy and hesitant, her steps become more and more emphatic, menacing and not exempt of violence, scraping and cutting into the delicate surface of the piano with her sharp pointe shoes."

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,126 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:57 AM

BalletMet Columbus presents its annual free concert.

Edwaard Liang, newly arrived artistic director, began putting dancers through rehearsals for a season that will continue through early May.

#9 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,126 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:35 AM

English National Ballet  dancers respond to the question: What does ballet smell like? Video clip promoting a new perfume, The Scent of the Ballet, included.

The ballerinas break it down into notes. First into the aroma of moisture and sweat: "there's that dreadful smell of men dancing that lingers for hours and hours on end. All the things that you don't see - we have to endure," says one dancer.

Over in the dressing rooms you'll find the scent of dancer's perfume, hairspray blended with old 'woody' make-up, musty costumes and the distinct smell of steamers used to take out creases from the dresses.

#10 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,126 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:37 AM

Another story on Perez's "En Punta."

Simply reaching the ability to wear pointe shoes is a huge accomplishment in a dancer’s life, but French ballerina Amelie Segarra takes pointe to the next level in this video performance for an installation art piece by Javier Perez.

#11 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,126 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:39 AM

An interview with Adam Bull.

Bull performed the lead role of James in his third year with the Australian Ballet in 2005 and it felt new. Now he feels so much better placed to perform the role, having taken great strides in the past year into the great principal roles.

With the departure of key male principals, such as Robert Curran, Damien Welch and Yosvani Ramos, Bull is now coming into his own, making such a strong impact on stage in character roles as he explores the artistry of dance beyond the technique.

#12 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,126 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:58 AM

A look at Alexei Ratmansky at work on his "Cinderella" for the Australian Ballet by Amanda Dunn in The Age.

....Not that it mattered: McAllister had long felt the fairytale needed to be revisited, as the most recent production was Stanton Welch's 2007 version, which the company has not danced since. Now Ratmansky's take on the tale is undergoing a major overhaul.

"I'm using some material," the choreographer says. "But it was really one of my first big works and I'm just a different choreographer now. I re-choreographed some sections, some keep the same, and it's new designs, so I thought that it's a very good chance for me to rework it."

#13 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,126 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:41 PM

An interview with Joy Womack.

Six months into Womack’s time with the Bolshoi, the dancers were shaken by an internationally publicized attack. A masked man threw acid into the face of the company’s artistic director, Sergei Filin, early this year while he was returning home, and it burned and nearly blinded him.

Womack said the event was heartbreaking. Filin was the one “who brought me into the company and took that risk,” and she needed his signature to renew her visa in Russia. "I was really afraid of losing everything I’d worked for,” she said.

#14 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,126 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:53 PM

A preview of the fall season in dance by Andy Gilbert in The San Jose Mercury News.

Diablo Ballet: The Walnut Creek company kicks off its 20th season in style with a new edition of Sean Kelly's "A Swingin' Holiday," the Broadway choreographer's well-received swing dance production set to hits by Ellington, Glenn Miller, and Nat King Cole.

#15 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,126 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:11 AM

Mayra Worthen starts a new company, Ballet Hispanico de San Antonio.

Worthen also recruited Peruvian-born Jimmy Gamonet de Los Heros, a well-regarded contemporary ballet choreographer, as artistic adviser and guest choreographer. And former Ballet San Antonio principal Carlos Hopuy, who now tours with Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo, has also offered his services as both adviser and guest performer. Completing the artistic staff is Cuban-born Giselle Fox, who will serve as ballet mistress.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):