This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Monday, August 26

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:09 AM

A review of Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre  by Steve Sucato for The Buffalo News.

Following in the footsteps of the many Pittsburghers who annually make the Chautauqua Institution their summer retreat, Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre lit up the institution’s amphitheater and the spirits of those in attendance Wednesday night with a marvelously danced program featuring four works that showcased the company’s versatility and skill.

Choreographer Mark Morris’ “Drink to Me Only With Thine Eyes” (1988), set to Virgil Thomson’s Etudes for piano and played live by PBT pianist Yoland Colin, led things off.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:18 AM

Reviews of L.A. Dance Project at the Edinburgh Festival.

The Independent

Millepied’s Moving Parts has music by company co-founder Nico Muhly, layering jazzy live clarinet and violin over recorded organ. The panels of Christopher Wool’s set, decorated with letters, slide in and out. The excellent Charlie Hodges dances the opening solo with vivid momentum, but the ballet’s drive fades. Millepied’s choreography is fluent but vague. There are plenty of steps, but they don’t go anywhere much, despite a sleek, muscular performance by the six dancers.

The Herald

Merce Cunningham's Winterbranch provoked heated reactions when first seen - or almost seen - in 1964. The prevailing mirk that clothes the entire stage - pierced by occasional sweeps of light that don't necessarily show the dancers - still has the power to alienate some. There were boos. But others cheered. It's as if ghosts had crept out of the brick-work, to crumple into the dust - echoes of our own transitory time in the light. The soundscore by La Monte Young invites the ears to bleed

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:21 AM

Q&A with Tracy Jones of the Colorado Ballet.

Pointe Magazine recently gave you the honor of 10 Stars of the Corps. You’ve danced all over the world. What keeps you going? How do you find inspiration to bop around to so many different locations and take on so many roles?

Honestly, I think what really keeps me going is my love for dancing. Being a dancer can be very difficult at times, so you really have to love it to keep going. That said, having been fortunate enough to have traveled as much as I have has been equally inspiring. Not only have I had the opportunity to be inspired by all the different countries and cultures I have visited, I have also been lucky to have had the opportunity to perform with and learn from many talented dancers from all over the world. Anytime I have been to a new country or danced with a different company, I have learned so much and that in itself continues to inspire me every day.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

Philippine Ballet Theatre  presents "Le Corsaire."

A special addition to this new staging is Jared Tan, who graces this production as Ali, the famed slave popularized worldwide by premier danseur Rudolf Nureyev. A former PBT soloist, Jared has been dancing with the Atlanta Ballet for three seasons, along with his sister Faye Abigail. Aside from classical solos such as the Bluebird pas de deux and various sweets from The Nutcracker, Jared has made marks in Christopher Hampson’s Rite of Spring, Jorma Ello’s First Flash and Helen Pickett’s Prayer of Touch. He has also performed in Atlanta Ballet’s Romeo and Juliet, in the company’s tour of China.......

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:33 AM

Orlando Ballet School cancels classes owing to mold discovered in their building. Item in brief.

The ballet school has 600 students at three locations. Company officials are now trying to find temporary locations to hold classes.

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:02 PM

An interview with Maria Teresa del Real about her fitness regimen, Barrebox.

She is a ballerina who became a principal dancer at age 17 in Ballet San Juan. In London, where she lived for 20 years, she danced for more than four ballet companies, including the English National Ballet. There she befriended Princess Diana, who would often take ballet classes with the company.

The Barrebox idea came to Del Real after she moved to Miami two years ago. “I came here and did Zumba and salsa, but I wasn’t getting the same results,” Del Real said.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,482 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:04 PM

Bunheads'  last routine. Video.

The Gilmore Girls creator brought the cast members back together for one last routine as a goodbye to the show. Directed by Sherman-Palladino, the dance harkened back to some of the series' most memorable pieces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):