Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mme. Hermine

Sunday, August 18

3 posts in this topic

Alastair Macaulay reviews Wendy Whelan at Jacob's Pillow:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/19/arts/dance/wendy-whelan-embraces-modern-dance-at-jacobs-pillow.html

Entering the world of modern dance, as she does in her program “Restless Creature,” Wendy Whelan exhibits the same qualities of temperament she has shown for years as a principal dancer of New York City Ballet: She’s uncompromising, generous, bold, enthusiastic, adult, at the same time decisive and investigative. Few dancers in any genre show better that a work should be a process of self-discovery.

An obituary for David Howard by Margalit Fox in The New York Times.

By genial choice, Mr. Howard took on a vast spectrum of students. He taught children, held evening classes for weary adult beginners, coached dancers in Broadway musicals and worked with some of the world’s most eminent soloists.

“When I was working with American Ballet Theater or New York City Ballet we had our own classes, but when I was in between, in the summer and things like that, I went to his class,” Mr. Baryshnikov said in an interview on Thursday. “He was a kind of father figure for people like me and like Gelsey.”

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0