5 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,126 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:08 PM

A story on Jordan Miller, newly apprenticed to the New York City Ballet, by Julie Crothers in The Journal Gazette of Fort Wayne.

“I was really excited at first, but then I realized I thought New York was far away – but this was Germany,” she said.

During a meeting with her instructors in New York, a teacher suggested she should hold off on making a decision because she was being considered for the New York City Ballet.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,126 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:16 PM

A review of the Bolshoi Ballet by Luke Jennings in The Observer.

On Thursday, partnered once again by Chudin, she danced Odette-Odile in Swan Lake. Barely believably, this was only her second performance; she made her debut in Moscow earlier this year. But her vision of the piece is fully formed. Again, there is her unique phrasing. This is in no sense a conventional legato reading of the Swan Queen; instead, Smirnova seems to open up Tchaikovsky's music and Ivanov's choreography from the inside, revealing its lyrical architecture......

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,126 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:19 PM

A review of Scottish Ballet by Mark Monahan in The Telegraph.

Given the psychological torment that permeates Hamlet – not to mention the grim fate that awaits its main characters – it was perhaps inevitable that Kenneth MacMillan would find Shakespeare’s play an alluring one.

He created this interpretation, called Sea of Troubles, in 1988, for the Royal Ballet-derived ensemble Dance Advance. But, rather than approach it in the lavish manner of his famous, much earlier Shakespeare venture Romeo and Juliet, he corkscrewed the play down to 40 expressionist minutes and set it to an abrasive mixture of Martinu and Webern.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,126 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:23 PM

Daniel Ulbricht brings his Stars of American Ballet to Santa Fe.

“My personal mission is not to repeat repertoire back to back,” said Ulbricht. “All of the works we’re presenting this summer are different from the ones we’ve presented during the past two years.”

In selecting dancers for the show, Ulbricht thought about which ones had the versatility and willingness to take on two different roles during the performance. Coming to town are American Ballet Theatre dancers Stella Abrera and Sascha Radetsky and New York City Ballet dancers Jared Angle, Robert Fairchild, Rebecca Krohn, Lauren Lovette and Tiler Peck

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,126 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:32 PM

A review of the Joffrey Ballet  by Mark Horning for the Examiner.

It was with great anticipation that the audience filed into Blossom Music Center to witness the performance of the Joffrey Ballet with the Cleveland Orchestra supplying the musical accompaniment. Four different pieces were on the bill with the supposed highlight being Igor Stravinsky’s “The Rite of Spring”. It was an evening of up and downs and overall disappointment to most of the nearly sell-out crowd.

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,126 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:05 AM

Q&A with Mikhail Baryshnikov by Ian Brown in The Globe and Mail.

I.B. I read somewhere that you hardly ever go to classical ballet any more.

M.B. Rarely now, you know. As I said, the clock is ticking and I want to see something [by] people who are pushing [the] envelope. To go to see another four hours of classical production, this time would never come back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):