• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#46 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:14 PM

So then who's the woman running onstage during the overture,,,? Isn't that Odette too...?

It's Odette the person/princess, not Odette the Swan Queen. I once saw a version that had all the swans and Odette revert to human status with long flowing gowns, after Rothbart was killed off (the Soviet ending). But that hasn't caught on, for better or worse...

#47 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:24 PM

Golly, I leave town for a couple days and the conversation really zooms! 

Going back to the original question, someone who has "only seen three ballets" needs to be seeing as much as they can, both multiple versions of the "same" work, and a variety of everything they can get their eyes on.  But finances being what they are, and not knowing anything about their location, I'd go for variety first.  From the NYCB list posted above, I'd vote for Jewels, in part because I really wish I could see it right now, but in part because it has a nice variety of Balanchine's response to different composers.

#48 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:25 PM

I very much dislike the prologue and agree that it undermines the sheer magic and wonder of Odette's entrance.  The ballet begins in the real world and takes us into the world of the lake. It's as if one of Shakespeare's comedies/romances  were to open on the magical forest before back-tracking to the courtly-ordinary world.

When the prince sees the swans flying across the sky (something at which Dowell was unequalled) it--and the music--hint at what's to come. He thinks he is getting away from it all and the swans are in and of themselves beautiful as suggested by the music. But then...what he finds is something still more mysterious.

And a ballerina's FIRST entrance matters. Having her come in on the prologue does undermine the second-act entrance.  Especially since even if Odette is a woman not a bird, she is a special kind of woman. One under a spell, in thrall to an enchanter. To meet her that way -- as the score clearly intends -- has a special impact for the audience as well as Siegfried.

I can live with multiple versions of Swan Lake, but it dismays me no end that ABT's is so weak in so many ways. The Prologue is far from the worst of it.

#49 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:30 PM

Odette is Queen of the Swans or the Swan Queen, it's just that at night, from midnight? she's released from her swan form.

Balanchine's program clearly calls her Odette Queen of the Swans, and he doesn't mean bird.

meanwhile as Sandi has wisely noted, this thread has gotten way off track, which can so easily happen but which needs watching, i suppose.

#50 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

....but gotten off track in a wonderful way!  With strongly held opinions that are still respectful and edify the conversation.  I'll take this type of meandering through Swan Lake's history any and every day of the week!

#51 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:15 PM

....but gotten off track in a wonderful way!  With strongly held opinions that are still respectful and edify the conversation.  I'll take this type of meandering through Swan Lake's history any and every day of the week!

Always happy to watch this kind of meandering -- I just wanted to make sure that someone who asked for help got what they needed.

#52 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:18 PM

So let me swing us back to the advice that ord seeks.  It might help us advise you if we knew a little about your tastes.  Which ballets have you seen (by which companies) and which have you liked, which not?  It will help us guide you.

I looked at NYCB's offerings for its Fall Season, and I cannot recommend highly enough the Balanchine Black and White program.  It contains three acknowledged masterpieces.  I don't think two of them -- The Four Temperaments and Symphony in Three Movements -- are inaccessible.  (The other masterpiece is Duo Concertant.)  Episodes is a little dense in some sections. 

If you don't like leotard ballets or plotless ballets, then this is NOT for you.  Yet.  :wink:

And while it doesn't come around until the last week of Spring Season  I urge you:  Do not miss A Midsummer NIght's Dream.  Sheer delight, wonderful choreography, costumes, story, the whole shebang!

#53 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:02 PM

So let me swing us back to the advice that ord seeks.  It might help us advise you if we knew a little about your tastes.  Which ballets have you seen (by which companies) and which have you liked, which not?  It will help us guide you.

I looked at NYCB's offerings for its Fall Season, and I cannot recommend highly enough the Balanchine Black and White program.  It contains three acknowledged masterpieces.  I don't think two of them -- The Four Temperaments and Symphony in Three Movements -- are inaccessible.  (The other masterpiece is Duo Concertant.)  Episodes is a little dense in some sections.

Another suggestion -- check Marcia Siegel's Shapes of Change for her analyses of Serenade and Four T's.  It will make your viewing much richer.

#54 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:55 PM

NYCB has put up a video with Mearns & Bouder discussing the role. So interesting to see two very different types of ballerina in the same role.

#55 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:22 AM

I'm disappointed that Hyltin was not cast in SL. I skipped her last time & was hoping to catch her this season. Its a good lesson - buy your tickets when you can cause you never know when they'll be cast again!

#56 Waelsung

Waelsung

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:57 PM

I'll be very brief with my question: Mearns or Bouder for this fall Swan Lake?

Thank you very much in advance!

#57 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:05 AM

Mearns, without a doubt. But all of NYCB's Swan Lake performances are pretty close to sold out, so I hope you are able to get tickets!

#58 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:15 AM

Mearns, without a doubt. But all of NYCB's Swan Lake performances are pretty close to sold out, so I hope you are able to get tickets!

I agree - Mearns.  Teresa Reichlen is also doing O/O even though she wasn't in that video.

#59 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:49 AM

[A]ll of NYCB's Swan Lake performances are pretty close to sold out...

It's always nice to hear about ballet sell-outs.  Maybe the advance success of this run explains the willingness of the advertising people to indulge in an untypically ugly, 1/6-page ad in the NY Times today. (Arts and Leisure section, p. 2).

We see (shot from above) 2 lines of 6 and 5 swans.  .  Each swan stands on a single turned-out flat foot, never the best angle for a shot of a flat foot in point shoes,  None of the feet is aimed in the same direction.  The camera catches each swan's right arm as she executes her own personalized version of the  bent-elbow-bent-wrist-splayed-fingers effect. 

A very odd choice, though I guess someone decided to go for the feel of a back-stage shot and to skip the romantic illusion.

#60 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:36 PM

See Mearns if you go.  Second choice is Reichlin.  I like Bouder in many things, but Odette is not a great role for her.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):