• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Buddy

Buddy

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:44 PM

Ballet is almost a religion today in Russia. Yet if you think about Russia in general, would you really make a connection ? The Essence of Russia -- The Essence of A 'Classical' Russian Ballet ? What's Russian about Swan Lake for instance ?

Added thought:

The most famous paintings in St. Petersburg world famous Hermitage Museum, the Rembrandts, da Vinci's, Matisse's….can be so different from so much that you'll see in St. Petersburg's National Museum.  (I'll qualify on the Rembrandt's though. For me they do have a lot of remarkable soul, which is also so very 'Russian'.) Yet much in the Hermitage feels like 'Russian' 'classical' ballet to me.

Does 'Russian' 'Classical' Ballet have 'Russian Soul' ?

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:34 PM

Interesting topic, Buddy, and one that could go in a number of directions. I would say offhand that different nationalities can possess "Swan Lake," but an American Swan can be very different from vieille Russie. Thoughts?

#3 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:25 PM

My personal opinion is that the Mariinsky Ballet has a very unique style, one that I love. I know others find their arms and upper body too much, but I love it. I think it is a totally unique style, and I think the Bolshoi has a little of it, even though the curriculum is supposedly the same. But I think the Mariinsky style is more extreme than the Bolshoi, and I personally like it better. 

#4 Buddy

Buddy

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:57 PM

Interesting topic, Buddy, and one that could go in a number of directions. I would say offhand that different nationalities can possess "Swan Lake," but an American Swan can be very different from vieille Russie. Thoughts?

Dirac, for the moment I'm talking about the Swan Lake that was essentially created in Russia. What's Russian about it ?

Birdsall, also a very good point. There isn't just one Russian way in ballet of doing the same thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):