This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Monday, August 12

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,952 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:45 AM

Q&A with Gene Schiavone.

It becomes more accessible when you know the people on stage...

Eventually I went to Michael Kaiser (the former Executive Director of ABT) and asked if I could photograph the main company. There was a real problem with that because they get calls from photographers all the time who want to photograph the company. He gave me a shot. I had spent two years learning the trade, learning how this stuff works, shooting in the dark and the motion. So I sat down with Kelly and said, I know this is a problem for you so if I do anything wrong, I'll stop doing it and she said, "Okay." Now we have a great relationship and she's happy I'm turning in a lot of photos.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,952 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:49 AM

A look at a Bolshoi Ballet "Swan Lake" from 1976 by Sarah Crompton in The Telegraph.

So they look different. But there, quite clearly, is the same absolute commitment to the ballet being performed, the same uniform shape of inflection, the same musicality: you see the lineage of today’s company in the film of the old. And at its heart is the extraordinary figure of Maya Plisetskaya. She was 51 when this production was recorded, so not in her pomp but still in her prime. Now 87, the Bolshoi’s prima ballerina assoluta was still dancing specially choreographed solos on her 80th birthday.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,952 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:57 AM

Carrie Seidman notes the death of David Howard in her column.....

As a young dancer in New York City, I was privileged to take a few classes with Mr. Howard. He was, indeed, a special teacher and his influence will be greatly missed.

....and provides a link  to an article in the Telegraph from last year:

Looking back over his experiences across the Atlantic, Howard sees himself as part of an age-old story: “I came as an upstart, and ended up a part of the American dream.” Yet age is catching up with him. He suffers increasingly from arthritis, and knows that eventually he will “need to call it a day”. As of yet, however, he’s not quite ready to let the curtain fall.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,952 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:59 AM

Sergei Filin is reported to be in London.

If confirmed, the trip would be the first time Filin has left the clinic in Aachen since he arrived there in February in the wake of the attack. Filin's skin condition has improved in the last months but he is still battling for his sight.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,952 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:00 PM

A fundraising drive saves the Covenant Ballet Theater and its dance academy, which closed after Hurricane Sandy.

The tempest-tossed 26-year-old dance school hung on until May, when the burden of too many displaced students and the departure of a key sponsor caused the company to miss its rent payments.

But school officials launched a fundraising campaign on FundAnything.com — and quickly raised $20,000 to find a temporary space thanks to an outpouring of support from 100 residents, alumni, and parents of current students.

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,952 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:04 PM

Cute pix from the Sarasota Ballet's Children's Camp.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,952 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:06 PM

Q&A with Christiana Bennett.

Of course, the part came with a little uncertainty as there was no prince listed next to you, since your partner was still injured. What did that mean for you?

That made me really nervous because Rex and I are so close. He called me instantly to tell me his name wasn't up next to mine and we talked about what that might mean. I was really nervous because we had worked so hard already that I would have been so sad if he wasn't going to be my prince. It was scary for the two of us because we had already invested so much time and energy but we really didn't know what was going to happen next. It was terrifying for me. If I didn't have a prince, how was I going to be Cinderella? I saw it as I was afforded this amazing opportunity but maybe not really if I didn't have anyone to dance with.

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,952 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:47 AM

Central West Ballet  gets a $110,000 grant.

"It's a great way to engage the community and broaden everyone's knowledge of Central West," said principal dancer Nicole Firpo.

It's a constant frustration to her and the rest of the dancers that many people remain unaware that Modesto has a dance company, even though the group has been around for more than 25 years.

The group began in 1987 as Bravo! Repertory Dance Theatre, an amateur group for students. It has evolved into a professional company with paid adult performers.

#9 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,952 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:54 AM

Dancers of State Street Ballet  perform for local children.

Micah House presents a variety of activities throughout the year for members, mostly youth who come from low-income neighborhoods.

Wednesday’s event was to introduce ballet to children, some of whom had never seen a production before.

#10 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,952 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:00 PM

The Joffrey Ballet School celebrates its sixtieth anniversary.

Its 60th year begins in September with Children’s and Young Dancer programs starting Sept. 9 with over 700 students, ballet and jazz trainee programs starting Sept. 16 with 262 students and the 30-member pre-professional Concert Company returning to rehearsal Sept. 9. There will also be auditions for new members starting Sept. 16.

#11 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,952 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:17 AM

An interview with Ashley Laracey and Troy Schumacher by Leigh Witchel in The New York Post.

They had already been living together for a few years when he decided to pop the question. Like any good choreographer, he wanted to propose in the perfect setting: a castle in Denmark, where the company was touring. But before he could ask her, fellow company member Jonathan Stafford asked Laracey’s friend Brittany Pollack to marry him. Schumacher didn’t want Laracey to be upstaged.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):