This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Thursday, August 8

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,533 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:58 AM

Ballet Ariel of Durango performs this weekend.

The first piece in the show is a contemporary abstract ballet done by Greg Gonzales, who was a principal dancer for the Colorado Ballet from 1996-2004. Norton describes the piece as “passionate and exciting,” featuring difficult sequencing and complex moves.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,533 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:07 PM

Yuri Zarutsky admits guilt in the attack on Sergei Filin, while Pavel Dmitrichenko does some walking back.

Interfax

Yuri Zarutsky is accused of accepting money from dancer Pavel Dmitrichenko and carrying out the attack on Sergei Filin. A third man, Andrei Lipatov, is accused of driving Zarutsky to and from the scene of the crime.

The Telegraph

But he denied organising or paying for the attack, in a reversal of a statement he made in March.

Footage released by police at the time showed a dazed Dmitrichenko, 29, saying “I organised that attack but not to the extent that it occurred.”

AFP

"The initiative for the attack was mine and I am the one who should be judged, not the guys who are sitting behind bars there," Zarutsky said.

He said he wanted to help Dmitrichenko but in the end "had only made things worse".

RIA Novosti

A forensic medical examination in May established that the victim had sustained grave bodily injury, which means that the suspects potentially face up to 12 years in prison.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,533 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:43 PM

A review of "Swan Lake Reloaded" and the Bolshoi in "The Sleeping Beauty" by Zoe Anderson in The Independent.

These are clever moments, but Rydman’s choreography is often generic. His bouncy streetdancing court miss the edge of the best hip hop dancing. On stage, the ZooNation or Boy Blue companies show hip hop dancing with more juice, and bolder storytelling.

Traditional stagings can also play havoc with Tchaikovsky. The Bolshoi Ballet’s new production of The Sleeping Beauty, seen for the first time outside Russia, has some staggeringly unmusical cuts.......

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,533 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:44 PM

A review of BalletX by Apollinaire Scherr in The Financial Times.

....The dancers created drama out of the oddly beautiful forms to which they gave muscular impulse – blooming from their fingers, squeezed from their haunches, yielding unforeseen partnerships. Silt relied on what the dancers found in themselves as dancers. The women – impassive, deeply rooted Chloe Felesina, Jaime Lennon and Allison Walsh – found a great deal. They may be BalletX’s greatest asset.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,533 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:22 AM

A preview of a joint performance by Complexions Contemporary Ballet and Lula Washington Dance Theatre.

Complexions Contemporary Ballet’s performance will include a solo choreographed by world-renown dance maker and ex-Alvin Ailey dancer Dwight Rhoden and performed by company co-director with as many accolades as his partner, Desmond Richardson. Their company will dance another Rhoden piece featuring music by pop music's U2 while Lula Washington Dance Theatre performs pieces from their extensive repertory.

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,533 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:31 AM

Saratoga's National Museum of Dance presents "Saratoga En Pointe."

Residents of Saratoga, along with the thousands of tourists that flock to the race course every summer may be curious why there are dozens of five-foot statues of pointe ballet shoes on display all over town.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,533 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:34 AM

A review of  the " Dance for $20" evening at the Vail International Dance Festival by Alastair Macaulay in The New York Times.

If there’s a single work in which Ms. Peck currently leads the world, it is Balanchine’s “Tschaikovsky Pas de Deux.” The choreography epitomizes the alacrity and musicality of the Balanchine style; nobody today plays with her music here as does Ms. Peck. Even at top speed, she seems at leisure. On Tuesday, Mr. Fairchild was making his debut as her partner; he reached a personal new peak of fleetness within classical bravura — tossing off double air turns within tautly rhythmic phrases and circuits of full-stretch jumps with happy élan.

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,533 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

State Street Ballet presents "Beauty and the Beast."

The part of the beast is played by Ryan Camou, who has performed principal and soloist roles in many of State Street Ballet’s productions. The beauty is played by Lilit Hogtanian, who has studied in Monte Carlo and with the Joffrey Ballet. The show was choreographed for State Street Ballet by Emmy Award-winning choreographer Robert Sund.

State Street Ballet will use digital projection, as it did for last year’s production of “The Secret Garden,” to create sets such as the forest and the beast’s castle.

#9 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,533 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:01 PM

Changes in leadership at St. Croix Ballet and its children's program.

St. Croix Ballet’s year-round program includes two full-length ballets—The Nutcracker (now in its 23rd year) and a spring show (past shows have included Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Coppelia); a three-week summer intensive that includes modern, character, jazz, ballet, and Pilates; and a Summer Gala performance in Stillwater's Pioneer Park.

The 2013-2014 school year will also include adding Master Classes with guest teachers, a Pilates program and Flemenco dance. The school also has a weekly Pas de Deux for Level V and up.

#10 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,533 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:07 PM

Q&A with Wendy Whelan.

Time Out New York: Why are there no female choreographers?
Wendy Whelan
: A very good question. Initially those four were the first that popped out. I didn’t intentionally seek a woman, and then I realized I hadn’t, and I thought maybe I made a mistake by not going there. At the same time, it felt right to me to just use men. I needed a certain comfort level, and I found that working with men for right now. It’s not my goal to constantly work with men, and I’m eager for the woman-to-woman connection that will happen, but I’m physically and emotionally not ready for that. I didn’t know who it would be necessarily. It’s easy to find male choreographers. They’re more obvious. I haven’t had a woman mentor really ever; they’ve always been men, and I just find comfort in that. And I wanted these duets to have some kind of thing that I could really respond to in that man-woman way.

#11 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,533 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:22 PM

Valerie Madonia is the new director of Colorado Ballet Academy.

She has been teaching for 17 years, served on the faculty at the New School University in NYC from 2000-2003, taught for the Joffrey Ballet School since 1996 and directed the Joffrey School South Workshop in Georgia from 2003-2010.  She teaches biannually in Yokohama, Japan and teaches master classes at The Four Corners Dance Experience and for the Regional Ballet Association Festivals.  She is also an adjudicator and master teacher for the Youth American Grand Prix.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):