5 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,799 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:11 PM

Richard Thomas has died at age 87. Obituary by Jennifer Dunning in The New York Times.

Their teaching styles were complementary. Where Ms. Fallis was serene and quietly authoritative, Mr. Thomas was exuberant and mercurial with a teasing wit.

He was also plain-spoken. His advice to a young dancer auditioning for Mr. Feld’s first company in 1969 was just “keep your nose over your left foot.”

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,799 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:13 PM

Alexandre Proia takes over at Georgia Ballet.

At age 17, Proia joined the Boston Ballet, where he worked with Rudolf Nureyev.

“He pushed me to a principal role. Rudolf Nureyev was a huge influence in how to perfect your art, to be very much of a giver, an actor in your dance, and very hungry to be on that stage and the appetite for work,” Proia said.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,799 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:17 PM

A review of 3e étage by Ken Ross in The Republican.

And yet 3e Etage manage to get away with it since their dancing is so delightful and down-right fun. Plus it's such a rare treat to see such stupendous dancers on such a small stage right in our own back yard.

Some of the selections presented Saturday were the same ones 3e Etage performed two years ago at Jacob's Pillow. But the program did not feel like a repeat. Rather, they seemed to build on their performance from 2011 and add new, refreshing dimensions to this year's program.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,799 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:21 PM

An interview with Darcey Bussell.

While all dance demands certain fundamentals, such as rhythm, ballroom requires much less flexibility than ballet, in which movements are fluid and suppleness is the key quality. But despite the apparent effortlessness of their pliés, all ballerinas pay a physical price for the applause.

‘I’ve had two operations on my ankles, reconstructive knee ligament surgery, and the wear and tear on my body has aged it by ten years,’ says Darcey. ‘But my feet have emerged remarkably unscathed, because I’ve always worn very good pointe shoes.’

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,799 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:27 PM

A review of Carlos Acosta's "Classical Selection" by Nadine Meisner in The Independent.

The intention is admirable, but in practice leads to a sameness of form and tone, one mournful pas de deux following another. And while extracts, lifted from their contexts, often lose their emotional resonance, it's still obvious that death and despair recur too often. To greet audiences with, as first item, the Farewell pas de deux from MacMillan's Winter Dreams is harrowing enough, especially with the superb intensity of Nuñez and Acosta struggling to accept the fate that tears them apart. But to follow it with The Dying Swan is a real downer, even if Hamilton stutters and expires with a flickering poetry not so far from that in the surviving footage of Anna Pavlova.

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,799 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:31 PM

An interview with David Hallberg.Video.

Mr Hallberg, the first foreigner to be named the Bolshoi's principal dancer, said the whole company missed having Mr Filin with them.

"Especially me, he brought me over to Russia. It's such a tragedy but he would want us to keep on dancing and this is exactly what we are trying to do," said the 31 year-old American.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):