#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,300 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:07 PM

Lexington Ballet and Kentucky Ballet Theatre present "Ballet Under the Stars."

Norbe Risco, artistic director of Kentucky Ballet Theatre, credits the event's consistency and affordability as part of its staying power: Ballet Under the Stars has never changed venues, and admission is only $5.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,300 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:08 PM

Sara Sardelli of the Sarasota Ballet (Peter Piper picked a peck...) is retiring from performing.

The petite and effervescent dancer -- barely 5-foot-2 and under 100 pounds -- Sardelli has been a favorite with Sarasota audiences since joining the company in 2009. During the past two seasons, however, she has been plagued by injuries and has performed irregularly.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,300 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:10 PM

A review of Banff Center's Dance Masters  by Stephan Bonfield for The Calgary Herald.

The show led off each evening with two of Balanchine's staples, Apollo, his first great success as a young man, to music set by Stravinsky, and his later 1960 choreograph arrangement of the pas de deux from Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake, Act III, both staged by program director Lindsay Fischer.

Apollo, danced by Ben Rudisin, showed considerable development over the four nights I saw him, and I found myself looking forward more and more to how he would come to gradually enrich the role as his own, this being his first time performing it.....

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,300 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:16 PM

A review of the Bolshoi Ballet in "Swan Lake" by David Gillard for The Daily Mail.

Plenty to like about the soloists, too, with Daria Khokhlova enchanting in the Neapolitan Dance and the diminutive Denis Medvedev (the Bolshoi’s Wayne Sleep) taking flight with extravagant jumps and pirouettes as the Jester.

Critical reaction to the Bolshoi in London is summarized in The Week.

The Bolshoi Ballet has put its recent backstage traumas behind it and is doing what it is famous for – "dancing up a storm", says Debra Craine in The Times. All lovers of Russian ballet should be celebrating.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,300 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:17 PM

An AFP report on the recovery of Sergei Filin.

Filin, 42, a former star dancer at the Bolshoi before he joined the management, said he would undergo further operations while in Moscow, but that he hoped to be able to work.

Despite his positive spin, he said that his treatment was not being as successful as hoped and he could still only make out light and shadows.

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,300 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:19 PM

Interviews with the crew behind the scenes with the Bolshoi  in London by Alice Lagnado for The Voice of Russia.

The first truck arrived last Thursday at eight o’clock in the morning - and Paul and the backstage team have been going non-stop ever since:“So for example this morning, we were working on stage to light La Bayadère, although this afternoon we have Swan Lake, this evening’s performance of Swan Lake.

“So this morning we had to come in, take off bits of Swan Lake that are getting in the way of Bayadère, hang Bayadère, so that it looks like it’s ready for performance, and then we start to light it...."

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,300 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:20 PM

A review of the Bolshoi Ballet in "Onegin" by Raymond Stults in The Moscow Times.

Smirnova brought to Tatyana her customary lyricism, secure technique and graceful positioning of head, arms and hands and seemed, as she has in every other role during her two seasons at the Bolshoi, to create around herself a distinctive aura that sets her apart from any other dancer I know of.

The tall, elegant Onegin of the performance was Vladislav Lantratov, whose accomplishments over the past season have marked him as one of the ballet troupe's most valuable assets.

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,300 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:22 PM

TheaterJones offers free tickets for cinema broadcasts of the Bolshoi in "The Pharaoh's Daughter."

To be entered for a chance to win a pair, email tickets@theaterjones.com with BOLSHOI PHARAOH in the subject line. Include your name, number and best email contact. Also—and this is importantinclude the day you want to go and which location. (Sunday or Tuesday, and Dallas or Plano.)

#9 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,300 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:27 PM

Two items about the Vail International Dance Festival.

You can see everything in the curtainless space. Damian Woetzel, Vail International Dance Festival Artistic Director, chatting with dancers as they warm-up. There are plies, releves, tendus, and pirouettes. One dancer is multitasking, pressing the arch of her foot, outfitted with a light pink satin pointe shoe, up and down while she talks on her cellphone.

This highly visible warm-up is a longstanding and unique tradition at the Vail International Dance Festival, now celebrating its silver anniversary through August 10.

Related.

“Since Lil Buck dances mostly on his toes, his type of dancing is actually more related to ballet and pointe work than one would think,” said Peck, who along with her fiancé Robert Fairchild, also a New York City Ballet principal dancer, is serving as this festivals artist in residence, which means she performs nearly every day of the festival.

And for another first, “Budget Bulgar” marks the first time Peck will perform something Woetzel has choregraphed, she said.

#10 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,300 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:08 AM

Jenna Roberts of the Birmingham Royal Ballet returns to her native Australia to dance in Queensland.

Elegance, which will also feature Texas Ballet Theater principal Carolyn Judson, is all part of the company’s plan to expand its international reach.

“The company has a long history of collaborating with international artists and I’m thrilled our audiences will have the opportunity to enjoy the performances of these gifted people,” said QB artistic director Li Cunxin.

#11 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,300 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:59 PM

A review of San Francisco Ballet at Stern Grove by Paul Parish in The Bay Area Reporter.

Sunday's program was a parade of the strength of our dancers. What a company! The men must rank as one of the world's best ensembles – of which the finale (Suite en blanc, which looks a lot like a suite from Swan Lake ) gave overwhelming evidence, with wave after wave of men doing cabrioles, entrechats, tours en l'air, all "the steps out of the hard book," in a mounting crescendo of leaps and turns that amounted to an applause machine. The women went likewise through their paces – pirouettes ending on pointe or in total genuflection (and all this in the open air, on a cold stage in the fog), with no hint of whining, no evidence of effort.......

#12 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,300 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:20 AM

A review of the National Gallery's Ballets Russes exhibition by Roberto Friedman in The Bay Area Reporter.

Nijinsky emerges as a focus of fascination; at five-feet four-inches, with a long neck and massive thighs, he had a body scaled for modernism and primitivism. He invented a new dance technique: inward, low to the ground, flat-footed. Think of his lecherous, feral yet somehow refined and elegant Faun.

#13 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,300 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

A review of BalletCollective by Mary Cargill for danceviewtimes.

Schumacher has clearly indulged in Jerome Robbins, especially the Robbins of "Interplay" and "Impulse" looks like a grittier version of that work, as the dancers tend to sit at the edge of the stage observing the action. The movement is ballet-based, as the girls all wore point shoes, but was leavened with everyday gestures. The seven dancers seem to live in their own isolated bubbles, exploring their feelings and only intermittently connecting with their fellow dancers. This does give the piece an intermittent, staccato feeling, with little development or structure, but the dancers themselves explode with leggy energy and make distinctive, indelible impressions....

#14 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,300 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:18 AM

An interview with Hee Seo  by Claire Lee in The Wall Street Journal's blog.

Aside from ballet, what do you consider important in your life?

Love. People don’t turn into swans in real life, but many viewers regardless find “Swan Lake” moving. And I think it’s mainly because of what Odette does for the person she loves; she risks her own life for him. To me, love is the greatest motivation.

I love what I do, I try to be better at it because I love it so much, and I want to be a better person for the people I love.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):