Ballet Initiative PodcastPast Episodes (See Heads Up! for Recent Episodes)

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#46 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:07 PM

If pherank invents the next big monetized Internet thingy, he can have his own private ballet company on that island.

Precisely my first thought!   ;)   Suzanne Farrell Ballet South Pacific. Or maybe the Edward Villella Grass Skirt Initiative.

Yes, Christian would be welcome to set up a Radio Free Ballet station.

#47 32tendu

32tendu

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:53 AM

Carla Korbes is a principal dancer with the Pacific Northwest Ballet.

In part one of our conversation, we talk about her injury and the road to recovery. We also talk about living and working in New York, and her relationship with Artistic Director, Peter Boal.

In part two, we talk about the keys to success in ballet. You may be surprised what recipe we've discovered! We also talk about her life in Seattle, and her thoughts about social media and ballet on television.

Listen, subscribe, enjoy!

balletinitiative.com/podcast

Twitter: @balletintiativ

and @christiancudnik

#48 32tendu

32tendu

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:48 PM

Dr. Linda Hamilton successfully made the transition from a being Balanchine dancer to a respected doctor. She has dedicated her life to helping future generations manage the struggles of being a professional dancer.

Check out our conversation at balletinitative.com/podcast

Twitter @balletinitiativ

Facebook: Ballet Initiative

#49 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:58 PM

Another excellent episode - thanks Christian.

#50 diane

diane

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:45 AM

Oh, yes, very informative and entertaining. Thank you! 

-d-

#51 32tendu

32tendu

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:47 PM

Thank you for listening. I appreciate you!

#52 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:08 PM

I have loved each and every interview.  I think that Linda Hamilton had it right when she said that you are using new media in a way that provides depth and understanding (my paraphrase).

I hope Dr. Hamilton does speak with you again.  I also wonder if Suzanne would do an interview.  She would be wonderful.   I heard her once in a pre-performace talk for her company.  She is unique in every way.  There is a mystique about her.  I wonder if it is compatible with new media.  Perhaps it is - what do you think?

#53 32tendu

32tendu

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:33 AM

Hi everyone,
Well, I am just one of many who would love to talk to Ms. Farrell. If the podcast had funding or a sponsor, I'd go to DC to do it!

I appreciate the kind words. It's nice to know the interviews are being heard. I try and check this page every week or so. I am a little behind at the moment.

You can always send me an email. I am interested in ideas and subject matter. Scheduling is difficult right now because of Nutz. But, there's some great shows falling in line.

All the best.

Christian

#54 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,225 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:33 AM

I think the most important point she makes is about dancers when they explore new fields for their post-performing life. Many people have spoken about how hard it is to find something they love as much as dance, but she speaks about the difficulty of dealing with false starts along the way.

#55 32tendu

32tendu

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:01 PM

The new episode of the Ballet Initiative Podcast is posted here:

http://balletinitiat...rosalie-oconnor

Rosalie transitioned from a dancer in the corps de ballet with ABT to becoming one of the premier photographers in the business.

Enjoy.

#56 32tendu

32tendu

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:04 PM

In this episode, legendary teacher Finis Jhung walks us through his life. We learn about his career as a dancer, and then his unconventional path to becoming a teacher. It's a great oral history. Take a listen.

#57 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:22 PM

Another great episode, Christian - Mr. Jhung can certainly give a good talk - "oral history" is the right term.

#58 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:03 PM

Interesting interview with Mr. Jhung.  I respectfully submit Eliot Feld as a possible person to interview.  He was child in SAB, was in the original cast of West Side Story, was a principal dancer in ABT, had his own company for a time.  I'd love to hear what he had to say.   

#59 32tendu

32tendu

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:08 PM

Ms. Watts was an established Balanchine dancer. Her career and place in history is very significant. Frankly, I was a little nervous dialing the phone on this one. After all, this is Heather Watts! However, it took less than 30 seconds for that feeling to fade once we connected. I really like Heather Watts. I love her honesty. I love her stories of Mr. B, and I also admire how candid she was when she discusses her story.

balletinitiative.com/podcast

Twitter: @balletinitiativ and @christiancudnik

#60 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:41 PM

Wow. This interview covers a lot of territory. And all fascinating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):