Ballet Initiative PodcastPast Episodes (See Heads Up! for Recent Episodes)

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#16 32tendu

32tendu

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:17 PM

Hi everyone,

A couple of notes. At the time of the interview, it as not yet officially announced that Ms. Womack was promoted to soloist. You'd think by now it would be announced. I can ask.

pherank, thanks for the kind words and support. I have two options for recording. One is via Skype and the telephone. We try to get the best quality possible. Most times this means a land line or a computer with a connection. Wifi and cell phone are fine. Just not as solid. Of course, I can also go out in the field to record. You can hear this in the Tiler Peck & Robbie Fairchild interview. I posted that one today.

podcast.balletinitiative.org

BTW, Joy Womack was a very popular episode!

#17 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,997 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:02 PM

Just as a note from a BA! point of view:  if a dancer his- or herself says s/he's a specific rank in a company and/or has joined a company in a public forum or setting, that is considered official news for our purposes.  Of course it's fine to ask why there hasn't been an announcement or the website hasn't changed, etc., and it's fine if anyone decides to wait until a company announcement or indication before accepting the news, but it's fine to discuss here since Ms. Womack said it.

Joy Womack is a very interesting woman, and it was fascinating to hear her observations.  I think the podcast is terrific.

#18 32tendu

32tendu

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:25 AM

Thanks for the kind words, Helene.

#19 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:05 AM

I just wanted to add my applause!  I've listened to every interview so far and have really enjoyed each of them.  The most recent, Peck/Fairchild was truly delightful.  I eagerly await the next one.

#20 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:49 AM

Another engrossing interview - thanks to Christian Cudnik. Keep up the good work.

#21 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:20 PM

Loving all of these interviews.  Thank you, thank you

#22 32tendu

32tendu

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:50 PM

I appreciate it.

#23 32tendu

32tendu

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:41 AM

My conversation with former NYCB principal dancer Jock Soto is posted.

Subscribe and listen here: podcast.balletinitiative.org

Enjoy!

#24 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:13 PM

Another great conversation - thanks again. The part about the Alastair Macaulay article (which was much discussed here on the forum) was fascinating.

It's worth mentioning that there were originally 5 Native American dancers that made a big contribution to ballet in the U.S. (and arguably the world): Maria and Marjorie Tallchief, Rosella Hightower, Moscelyne Larkin and Yvonne Chouteau. And Jock can certainly be added to this group. I believe each of the "Five Moons", as they were referred to, danced with at least one of the Ballet Russes incarnations, and Hightower also went on to dance with the de Cuevas Ballet.

Maria Tallchief: [She was a prima ballerina at New York City Ballet.] In 1965 after retiring from dance, she served as director of ballet for the Chicago Lyric Opera.
Marjorie Tallchief: After retiring from dance in 1966, she and her husband became artist director of the Dallas Ballet. She also served as the director of dance for the Harid Conservatory in Boca Raton, Fla.
Yvonne Chouteau: In 1960, Chouteau and her husband, Miguel Terekhov developed University of Oklahoma's dance program. For 10 years, they also organized and directed the Oklahoma City Civic Ballet, now known as the Oklahoma City Ballet.
Moscelyne Larkin: In the 1950s, Larkin and her husband founded the Tulsa Civic Ballet and School, now called the Tulsa Ballet Theater.
Rosella Hightower: [After retiring from performance, she] taught dance in France at the Ecole Superieure de Danse de Cannes.

(Excerpted from: http://ndepth.newsok...dian-ballerinas)

#25 32tendu

32tendu

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

thank you for this information. I'll be sure to share it. be careful, you just might become a producer!

#26 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

thank you for this information. I'll be sure to share it. be careful, you just might become a producer!

Now there's a scary thought.  ;)

The great Ballet Russes documentary does talk a bit about the Native American dancers from Oklahoma:

http://www.amazon.co...a/dp/B000G5SIBM

#27 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,335 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:28 PM

You might also want to look at Lili Cockerille Livingston's American Indian Ballerinas

#28 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,997 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:39 PM

I just listened and came into post about the five Native American ballerinas commemorated in "Five Moon," but pherank long beat me to it smile.png

I loved listening to him speak after all of those years watching him dance.  I had forgotten he was only 16 when Peter Martins choreographed "Concerto for Two Solo Pianos" for him, Watts, and Andersen.

#29 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:59 PM

I just listened and came into post about the five Native American ballerinas commemorated in "Five Moon," but pherank long beat me to it smile.png

I loved listening to him speak after all of those years watching him dance.  I had forgotten he was only 16 when Peter Martins choreographed "Concerto for Two Solo Pianos" for him, Watts, and Andersen.

It's been fun for all, and I'll just mention that Chrisitan Cudnik has updated the Ballet Initiative website rather dramatically (good job on the much improved interface) and added some new-old interviews. The one with Jacques d'Amboise is recommended by moi.

I love how Jacques talks about 'hanging out with the great people' by reading - and takes time to talk about Tanny Le Clercq.

#30 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:53 PM

youtube interview with Maria Chapman by the Bob Rivers Show reporter Arik Korman

https://www.youtube....h?v=hdFg5tfULeM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):