This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

To continue the digression for a moment, Erik Tomasson's photos are wonderful. I used to wish that SFB could have spent serious money on their brochures, just to highlight them. With two dancer parents, I'm sure he'd have a lot to say about growing up in a dance environment.

I think the Watts interview is fascinating. When I first saw her dance, she was already a Principal, and I didn't realize that she was considered controversial when she was first featured. The effects of the Ford Foundation money were so profound for the company and so quickly, it's easy to forget that the dancers who were featured and/or on the rise in the '70's were often kids found and nurtured by the early years of the program.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone with a core as strong as hers in dance, not even Viengsay Valdes. In the PBS show of Martins works for her, Ashley, Nichols, McBride, and Farrell, she danced the PDD from "Ecstatic Orange." The camera was close up on her and Jock Soto. He lifted her without any noticeable preparation, and there was no visible tension or movement in her body as he picked up and set her down. I've never seen anything like it.