This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I have loved each and every interview. I think that Linda Hamilton had it right when she said that you are using new media in a way that provides depth and understanding (my paraphrase).

I hope Dr. Hamilton does speak with you again. I also wonder if Suzanne would do an interview. She would be wonderful. I heard her once in a pre-performace talk for her company. She is unique in every way. There is a mystique about her. I wonder if it is compatible with new media. Perhaps it is - what do you think?

Hi everyone,
Well, I am just one of many who would love to talk to Ms. Farrell. If the podcast had funding or a sponsor, I'd go to DC to do it!

I appreciate the kind words. It's nice to know the interviews are being heard. I try and check this page every week or so. I am a little behind at the moment.

You can always send me an email. I am interested in ideas and subject matter. Scheduling is difficult right now because of Nutz. But, there's some great shows falling in line.

All the best.

Christian

I think the most important point she makes is about dancers when they explore new fields for their post-performing life. Many people have spoken about how hard it is to find something they love as much as dance, but she speaks about the difficulty of dealing with false starts along the way.

Interesting interview with Mr. Jhung. I respectfully submit Eliot Feld as a possible person to interview. He was child in SAB, was in the original cast of West Side Story, was a principal dancer in ABT, had his own company for a time. I'd love to hear what he had to say.

Ms. Watts was an established Balanchine dancer. Her career and place in history is very significant. Frankly, I was a little nervous dialing the phone on this one. After all, this is Heather Watts! However, it took less than 30 seconds for that feeling to fade once we connected. I really like Heather Watts. I love her honesty. I love her stories of Mr. B, and I also admire how candid she was when she discusses her story.

balletinitiative.com/podcast

Twitter: @balletinitiativ and @christiancudnik

All of your interviews have been great, and I so admire what you're doing. Your questions and attitude are just wonderful. The Watts interview surpassed everything IMO. Wow so much territory covered, and she is so interesting and thoughtful. Thank you, thank you. I'd love to hear parts 3 & 4 of Heather Watts.

Thank you, Vipa! I appreciate you taking the time to listen. I'll ask her back!

It sounded like she'd want to continue the conversation. I'm sincere when I say that it has lot to do with you. You have great questions, show a genuine interest and go with the flow . I've loved every podcast, but this is a particular favorite.

Vipa, I just noticed your suggestion. I'll look into connecting with Eliot Feld. Thank you.

Thank you for looking into it. I believe Mr. Feld was the young prince in the early years of the Balanchine Nutcracker, and was a teenager when he was Baby John in Robbins West Side Story. There is a lot of history there.

Vipa, we spoke for 2 hours! 45 minutes was 'off the record'. I do plan another conversation with her.

So great. I am so in love with this video of her with Jock Soto

Two wonderful dancers who have been around the block a few times, and have a lot to give emotionally.

A couple of things that I really appreciated her mentioning were the Tanny Le Clercq documentary, and the effect of the AIDS epidemic on the arts/dance scene in the 1980s. And your conversation about Macaulay/critics and their attitudes in print was rather humorous.

Looking forward to the next one. ;)

I hope that later on in the year you are able to speak with Mathilde Froustey or Simone Messmer at SFB. Or Tan, Kochetkova, Van Patten...

[EDIT] This reminds me, when you feel up to talking to another photographer - Erik Tomasson, son of SFB Director Helgi Tomasson, is the company’s photographer. And if that sounds like nepotism, you just have to see the quality of his photos to get why they would really want him. He may well have an interesting perspective on things.

http://www.eriktomasson.com/

“First, I never ask anybody to pose anything,” he says. “I don’t move around. I let dancers work. They’re more comfortable, more relaxed, and I get what I want, the more natural stuff.

“I see both the dancer and the environment: the lighting, the background, the shadows. I see it as a product. The dancer should look right and good as the focal point. The ‘look’ of my photographs, my signature, comes from the idea of ‘crushing the blacks’; of achieving the truest black background with no gradations, making the dancers really jump out.”

Episode 20 & 21 of the Ballet Initiative Podcast features Wendy Perron. Wendy is the author of the new book, "Through the Eyes Of A Dancer". She's also the Editor at Large at Dance Magazine.

You can listen to the conversation here:

balletinitiative.com/podcast

On Twitter @balletinitiativ and @christiancudnik

Nancy Buirski is the Director of "Afternoon of a Faun: Tanaquil le Clercq". I should admit, I fell in love with 'Tanny' through photographs over decade ago. So, to see her move on screen truly deepened my intrigue/ crush.

This is a universal story of struggle and change. I feel that her story will appeal to more than our dance community. It's beautiful. Really well done, Ms. Buirski. Thank you.

Twitter @balletinitiativ and @christiancudnik

http://balletinitiative.com/podcast/2014/2/5/nancy-buirski