• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#31 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:07 AM

I'm hoping the announcement will be for some well-deserved promotions (but no new guest artists)!

#32 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,997 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:54 AM

Jayne, would this mean Victor Barbee would have to step down or is there sometimes more than one Associate AD? I know this is speculation so maybe not appropriate.

Management makes up its own rules about management.  It would be unusual to have two Associate AD's, but ABT could do it if it wanted.  I don't think ABT would throw this out as a teaser though. 

#33 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:01 AM

It was last September around this time that ABT announced that Vasiliev was joining as a principal at ABT.  So if I were making bets, I would bet that the announcement will relate to promotiion(s), not a change in management.

#34 Golden Idol

Golden Idol

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:18 AM

Apropos the whereabouts of departing/departed ABT dancers, Roddy Doble's Facebook page indicates he's living in Boston now, but no mention of affiliation. Carlos Lopez was teaching in Mexico this past summer. I hate to sound like a cyber-stalker, but the Facebook pages of ABT dancers are informative and often charming, because from their comments and especially the photos they post of themselves and their colleagues, you get a sense of just what a bunch of kids they are, kids who may certainly be accomplished artists but who do, well, all sorts of kids things!

#35 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,997 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:49 PM

Like all Facebook users, some dancers only allow their content to be seen by Friends (private) that they've approved, some allow all of their content to be public-facing, and others choose post-by-post whether to make it public or private.

ABT just tweeted,

Tomorrow is the day! We are launching a major initiative and can’t wait to tell you about it.

which doesn't sound like promotion announcements to me.

#36 Swanilda8

Swanilda8

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:16 PM

ABT just tweeted,

Tomorrow is the day! We are launching a major initiative and can’t wait to tell you about it.

which doesn't sound like promotion announcements to me.

Maybe this is something to do with the new $2 million grant for the JKO school. "A major initiative" has the ring of money to me.

#37 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:48 PM

May be a multi year program to restore, reconstruct, & restage all Petipa ballets.  Please pardon my daydreaming.

#38 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:52 PM

May be a multi year program to restore, reconstruct, & restage all Petipa ballets.  Please pardon my daydreaming.

If we are daydreaming - I'll daydream about re-staging Tudor.  I think we are all overly optimistic.

#39 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:07 PM

I'll daydream with you.

#40 Swanilda8

Swanilda8

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:17 PM

If we are daydreaming - I'll daydream about re-staging Tudor.  I think we are all overly optimistic.

I second that dream, if we can add all the de Mille ballets too.

#41 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:02 AM

WSJ just sent out a story about the new initiative: http://online.wsj.co...1121764480.html

Project Plie will promote diversity in ballet, featuring Misty Copeland. I'm really pleased to see them partnering with the Boys and Girls Clubs of America. My brother-in-law worked in related non-profit sectors much of his life and B&GC has a stellar reputation among the many groups working with underprivileged youth. Denzel Washington is one of their many "alumni."

ABT just sent out a Tweet about this. I see Dale has started a new thread, so people might want to discuss it there.

AmericanBalletTheatr @ABTBallet 4m

ABT announces Project Plié, a nationwide initiative to increase racial & ethnic representation in ballet http://www.abt.org/projectplie  #ProjectPlie

#42 bingham

bingham

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:43 AM

We just have to continue daydreaming. Mine was Yuri Burlaka's joining as a Petipa stager.

#43 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,997 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:05 PM

I've moved the responses to the Project Plie to Dale's thread, which is now California's thread, since California wrote the earliest post.

Please continue to discuss here:

http://balletalert.i...s-project-plie/

#44 dancemom101

dancemom101

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:38 AM

Roddy Doble joined Boston Ballet's Corps.

http://www.bostonbal...oddy_Doble.html

#45 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,997 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:44 AM

Finally they updated their website laugh.png .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):