This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Roster Changes

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#16 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:13 AM

Anderson admitted that he took no part in the rehearsal process until it reached the stage rehearsal phase, and he had not yet arrived in Moscow when Zakharova walked out. It's entirely possible that a dancer may have seemed suitable to him in theory, but then fell short of fulfilling expectations.

#17 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:43 AM

I'd like to see Mihhail Ilyin back at Miami City Ballet.

#18 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:55 AM

If/when this news becomes substantiated, I will sorely miss Renata and Roddy. I've been on the Roddy bandwagon for a long time and hoped for future promotions for him at ABT.

#19 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,349 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:17 AM

That these corps dancers have left the company is substantiated:  they were removed from the roster.  It's where they're going that needs to be in official news. 

#20 MRR

MRR

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

I have often wondered if Marianela Nunez will ever guest with ABT, and now may be the time if Osipova's appearances with the company become more limited.  She is a beautiful dancer and suited to a lot of ABT's rep. 

#21 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:47 PM

That these corps dancers have left the company is substantiated:  they were removed from the roster.  It's where they're going that needs to be in official news. 

So if a principal dancer, like Osipova, is removed from the roster as she was in early August is that confirmation that she has left the company? The "official" word I recall when she announced that she was joining the Royal was that she would continue her relationship with ABT, but perhaps appear with them less often. That doesn't jive with her removal from the roster, unless she is reverting to 'guest principal" status.

#22 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,349 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:57 PM

For the purposes of official news at Ballet Alert!, any names removed from company rosters on company websites are considered confirmation from the company that the dancers are no longer on the roster. 

If the company adds the dancers back in, under their old or new statuses/ranks, then that is also official news.

For new dancers, if the news is released officially that a dancer is joining a company -- press release, public-facing Facebook status, standing Tweet, newspaper article, etc. -- this doesn't have to be corroborated immediately by the company website roster, since, especially during the summer, website additions tend to be slow, while removals tend to be fast, without requiring bios to be written, photos to be taken, etc.

#23 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

So if a principal dancer, like Osipova, is removed from the roster as she was in early August is that confirmation that she has left the company? The "official" word I recall when she announced that she was joining the Royal was that she would continue her relationship with ABT, but perhaps appear with them less often. That doesn't jive with her removal from the roster, unless she is reverting to 'guest principal" status.

Osipova is listed as doing some pdd w. Vasiliev during ABT's Feb/March 2014 tour to Japan.  (All the Japan tour casting is now up on the ABT Performance Calendar.)  So it seems that Osipova will still have a relationship with ABT in 2014, but the extent of that relationship seems unclear.

#24 meunier fan

meunier fan

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:34 PM

I have a feeling the O/V dates in Japan may have been set well in advance of Ms. Osipova's announcement vis a vis the RB.  I have a suspicion that the O/V names were most probably part and parcel in ensuring the ABT Japan booking ... much as they were for the Bolshoi most recently in London, albeit for one performance only initially.  Still they did appear ... and .... surprise, surprise ... the Company did arrive unto the Royal Opera House.  Their performance in Flames of Paris was the only one to sell out on the first day of general public booking.  .  

#25 Ilya

Ilya

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:53 AM

A quick Google search yields the following ABT page for Ms. Osipova, where she is listed as Guest Artist, with two upcoming performances on Feb 25 and 26 in Tokyo:

http://www.abt.org/d...p?Dancer_ID=230

I wonder how many performances this new status implies for the 2014 Met season.

#26 Golden Idol

Golden Idol

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:13 AM

James Whiteside's Twitter account says to watch for an "exciting" announcement from ABT later this week. Promotion, perhaps? By the way, whatever you may think of him as a danseur, his JbDUBS videos are very funny. And the boy can move!

#27 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:13 PM

James Whiteside's Twitter account says to watch for an "exciting" announcement from ABT later this week. Promotion, perhaps? By the way, whatever you may think of him as a danseur, his JbDUBS videos are very funny. And the boy can move!

ABT sent out the same Tweet yesterday, but I ignored it. I'm hoping for several promotions in the ranks:

@ABTBallet 21h

Stay tuned for an exciting announcement from ABT later this week!

#28 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:42 PM

In terms of roster changes, there're 3 possibilities, promotions from soloist to principal, corps to soloist, or new principal(s) from outside.  I think Whiteside's promotion is the most likely.

#29 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:17 PM

or maybe Ratmansky will be named Associate AD?

#30 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:50 AM

Jayne, would this mean Victor Barbee would have to step down or is there sometimes more than one Associate AD? I know this is speculation so maybe not appropriate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):