This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Roster Changes at ABT

James Whiteside's Twitter account says to watch for an "exciting" announcement from ABT later this week. Promotion, perhaps? By the way, whatever you may think of him as a danseur, his JbDUBS videos are very funny. And the boy can move!

ABT sent out the same Tweet yesterday, but I ignored it. I'm hoping for several promotions in the ranks:

@ABTBallet 21h

Stay tuned for an exciting announcement from ABT later this week!

Jayne, would this mean Victor Barbee would have to step down or is there sometimes more than one Associate AD? I know this is speculation so maybe not appropriate.

Management makes up its own rules about management. It would be unusual to have two Associate AD's, but ABT could do it if it wanted. I don't think ABT would throw this out as a teaser though.

Apropos the whereabouts of departing/departed ABT dancers, Roddy Doble's Facebook page indicates he's living in Boston now, but no mention of affiliation. Carlos Lopez was teaching in Mexico this past summer. I hate to sound like a cyber-stalker, but the Facebook pages of ABT dancers are informative and often charming, because from their comments and especially the photos they post of themselves and their colleagues, you get a sense of just what a bunch of kids they are, kids who may certainly be accomplished artists but who do, well, all sorts of kids things!

Like all Facebook users, some dancers only allow their content to be seen by Friends (private) that they've approved, some allow all of their content to be public-facing, and others choose post-by-post whether to make it public or private.

ABT just tweeted,

Tomorrow is the day! We are launching a major initiative and can’t wait to tell you about it.

which doesn't sound like promotion announcements to me.

WSJ just sent out a story about the new initiative: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323392204579071071121764480.html

Project Plie will promote diversity in ballet, featuring Misty Copeland. I'm really pleased to see them partnering with the Boys and Girls Clubs of America. My brother-in-law worked in related non-profit sectors much of his life and B&GC has a stellar reputation among the many groups working with underprivileged youth. Denzel Washington is one of their many "alumni."

ABT just sent out a Tweet about this. I see Dale has started a new thread, so people might want to discuss it there.

AmericanBalletTheatr @ABTBallet 4m

ABT announces Project Plié, a nationwide initiative to increase racial & ethnic representation in ballet http://www.abt.org/projectplie #ProjectPlie

James Whiteside's Twitter account says to watch for an "exciting" announcement from ABT later this week. Promotion, perhaps? By the way, whatever you may think of him as a danseur, his JbDUBS videos are very funny. And the boy can move!

For the James Whiteside supporters (including me), the Sunday NY Times had an article on people in the NY dance scene to watch, including James Whiteside. Macauley writes, "It’s hard to imagine that he won’t be promoted to a principal here soon."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/22/arts/dance/movers-and-shapers.html?pagewanted=3