This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Roster Changes at ABT

I think FauxPas and stuben's posts point to something that always seems to get lost between the Fall and Spring seasons: just how deep the talent in the corps really is. There are so many lovely dancers in the corps--like the ones who were just promoted as well as Fang, Giangeruso, Williams, and others--we just have to get chances to see them in featured roles.

Something else to consider about the flood tide of promotions and additions today: The retirements of Julie Kent, Paloma Herrera and Xiomara Reyes may have freed up a lot of $$$ to facilitate some of these (to us) overdue promotions. Last I checked, Kent and Herrera were two of the top earners in the company. We think of ABT being like the Yankees, and being able to go out into the free market to buy whichever performer they want. The reality is closer to a sports team operating under a salary cap. There's a limit to how much the company can take on at the top end. (I understand the counter-argument that, if the company didn't rely so heavily on guest stars, they would have more money for the in-house talent.)

Simkin will definitely be the odd man out in the shorter principals ranks after today. With Cornejo, Gorak (soloist but doing principal roles) and Lendorf (already proven in principal roles), Simkin's underwhelming workload during the Met seasons will leave him last among equals.

And, as I type this, Misty's promotion is a news story on the NBC Nightly News.

The retirements of Julie Kent, Paloma Herrera and Xiomara Reyes may have freed up a lot of $$$ to facilitate some of these (to us) overdue promotions. Last I checked, Kent and Herrera were two of the top earners in the company.

The last 990 filed on charitynavigator.org is from 2013. The dancers reported in the last five years of 990 filings are:

• 2013: Herrera, Kent
  • 2012: Cornejo, Kent
  • 2011: Herrera, Kent, Murphy
  • 2010: Kent, Herrera, Murphy
  • 2009: Murphy

(I understand the counter-argument that, if the company didn't rely so heavily on guest stars, they would have more money for the in-house talent.)

Maybe not. I did the math on this, and 12% of Principal roles in the full-lengths and 11% of the Principal roles overall were cast originally with guests. Some of them didn't perform and the roles were take by in-house dancers. I thought this would be the equivalent of two, or at max, three additional dancers. Even entry-level Principal Dancers make a reasonable amount, and the company has to pay benefits for them.

Guest stars are paid by the performance. The company does not have to pay payroll taxes, unemployment taxes, benefits, contribute to pensions. I'm not sure about workman's compensation or if the company pays for other expenses, like travel, short medical insurance policies, or if these are strictly the responsibility of the guest. Of course, the company can decide not to re-engage guests, who have no protection if they become injured (unless they have a disability policy of some kind), while if they have a contract with a dancer, and the dancer doesn't work out, they still have a contract.

And, as I type this, Misty's promotion is a news story on the NBC Nightly News.

Excellent!

As mentioned elsewhere in the forum -Maria Kochetkova joins ABT - in addition to remaining as SFB Principal:

"Excited to announce I'm joining @ABTBallet next season! I'll remain a principal with SF Ballet and will perform with both companies."

Of course she will: the woman never, ever sleeps!

A few more thoughts: I think Brandt really benefited from the stage time that the Bolle and Friends tour allows. Where else can these younger dancers hone their stage craft than actually on a stage. I agree with Faux Pas - I have been up and down about Blaine Hoven over the years but I think this season he really stood out. It looks like he's trimmed down his musculature, toned down his one-time almost platinum hair and overall looks more mature in addition to the improved dancing. Maybe next year.

Can't help but feel bad for Sarah Lane. Hope she doesn't get stuck as a soloist for too long and we miss her "prime years". Seems like the ballerina ranks are going to be set in stone for a while. They now have an entire crop of women and no one seems to be retiring anytime soon. I guess next year will be the year of male promotions, Gorak, Hammoudi and maybe Cirio if he does well. (Assuming all goes well) Cirio is a good replacement for Cornejo. In the little I have seen, Cirio has some of the same qualities. (Not that ABT needs to replace Cornejo anytime soon, just saying). I feel this plays out the worst for Lane, Part and Simkin. They all look likely to suffer to make room for the new and rising additions. I personally don't see what Kochetkova brings that current dancers can't supply. Think it was a bad choice on KM's part. However, it sounds like KM finally got some excitement generated! Should've done this mid-season to drain out all the bad press from casting changes, lackluster programing, etc. This makes me think that maybe the "star strategy" was Rachel Moore's idea. Maybe KM wants to refocus on homegrown talent. After this season, I hope he learns his lesson! The board gave Moore the title of CEO, so technically KM reported to her. Lets hope that Moore's replacement helps pave the way forward in a manner that balances artistic quality and standards, ABT tradition, all while still looking forward and developing. After all, ABT is a world class company and not a summer pick-up gig.

I wonder what ballets we will see next Met season. Hope that we get to see Stella take on Odette/Odile. After her Giselle, I think she can deliver an out of this world Odette! I have so much respect for her. IMO, KM really robbed her and stalled her career, by keeping her as a soloist for so long. While its better late than never, I commend her for staying focused and never letting herself fizzle out. She earned her spot years before Bolyston and Seo! They're not even in the same league as Stella. I really want to see Stella take on Juliet and Nikiya. I also feel KM owes Sarah Lane a Juliet. Don't understand why Seo does 3 Juliets, and yet Lane can't take on one! I just really hope that next year's programing isn't all displays of virtuosic technical skills. Obviously that will leave out a chuck of their principal dancers. I mean if Copeland can't do 32 fouettes in Swan Lake, I can only imagine how hard of a time she would have in Don Q! We would be on the edge of our seats wondering if she would finish in one piece! Not that she isn't allowed to make mistakes, but the Met is not the place for trial and error! Its a world renowned theater, dancers need to be able to deliver on a somewhat (hopefully more often than not) consistent bases.

A little on my personal feelings on Copeland. While I respect her origins and the new audiences she is bringing in, I think she has set a horrible precedent for ballet. IMO, dancers should NEVER hire publicist unless they are mega stars who are already established. Ones work should speak for itself. One of the most beautiful things about ballet is the focus, level of commitment, and work that goes into each dancer. While some are more gifted than others, without the work talent usually fizzles out. If I were AD at ABT, I would put in the dancers contracts that all publicity is handled by the organization (no outside help without the permission of the AD and/or CEO). Dancers should come to companies hungry for work and looking for experiences. They should not be looking for titles, fame, etc. The harder one works, the luckier they will be. Of course, everyone aspires to be a principal.. to be Giselle, Odette, Kitri, etc, but you have to respect the work that goes into getting there. Hiring a publicist or crafting an image as a celebrity, whether its done consciously or not, puts the dancer "above" the art form. Call me old fashion, but I like my favorite dancers to be a little mysterious. When they dance (especially in full length classics), they are becoming objects of remarkable beauty. The more you know about a dancer, the harder I feel it is for them to achieve that. IMO, they have some responsibility to maintain that image. I remember hearing that Balanchine used to demand that his dancers always leave the theater dressed up. He never allowed sweats, sandals, etc. He used to tell them that seeing a dancer leave the theater in sweat pants ruins what they worked so hard to create on stage. They were world-class ballerinas after all. What I am getting at is that the audience should have a bit of distance between themselves and the artist.

Being too comfortable with a dancer ruins that experience of beauty that they work their entire lives to create. I know KM didn't have much of a choice but to promote Copeland, but I think it really sends the wrong message to aspiring dancers. Even in the past few weeks, so many articles about how "Copeland's Promotion was the "talk" of the ballet world" all seemed to be designed by a PR team set on her being promoted. IMO, the wrong way to go about a title or rank. And yet, Copeland still is quite rough artistically and clearly lacking technically. Sarah Lane has a rough Rose Adagio and now in return she seems stuck in the soloist ranks. Copeland bails out at 12 fouettes and goes into a rapidly degrading series of turns from 5th and gets promoted. I guess my advice to aspiring dancers would be to get a publicist early. Guess to be successful nowadays one needs to sell themselves over their actual work.

(In my defense, I was a huge Copeland supporter in her early years with the company. IMO, when all her publicity stuff started her focus changed and it is reflected in her work)

Hammoudi and Lane have a lot of work to do if they want to make it to principal. Hammoudi will now be competing with Forster in the "tall guy" sweepstakes, and I can't imagine that Cirio would jump ship from Boston to New York unless there's an understanding in place about future advancement. Kotchekova joining as a half-time principal hurts Lane's cause the most, and Lane also has to contend with a replenished soloist group bursting with talent -- stressful!

I guess today's news didn't help Part's situation any. Nedyk didn't jump from the Ukraine so she still will be trying to find that elusive perfect partnership. Maybe she will get greater access to Bolle next year?

I don't think Forster will dance the same roles as Hammoudi has. While they are similar in height, I don't personally don't think KM has Forster on the principal dancer track. He seems like a really strong soloist. I do not see him as a prince, in the same way I recognize Hammoudi's prince potential. Could be wrong though, guess time will tell. I'd take Lane over Kotchekova any day! Guess KM disagrees. Part seems like she will have a harder time finding both a partner and good casting in the future. So many people that need to dance, partners that need to be spread out among all dancers, and a limited number of performances. I think KM likes the Bolle/Seo pairing. With Kent's retirement, I think Abrera has a better chance of landing Bolle than Part.

I agree with Dancerboy that I'd take Lane over Kotchekova any day. Abrera, who I have been a long time fan of is interesting. Does anyone know her age? Late 30's I suspect. How many more seasons does she have in her? Copeland is 32 or 33 with lots of opportunities outside of the realm of ballet. Now that she's gotten what she has been so public about seeking how long will she toil away in ballet? I know this is pure speculation on my part.

The soloist promotions on the woman's side are promising I guess.

Lane now will have to make a major decision about her future: to stay and double her efforts to improve over this disastrous season she’s just had, and hope for a possible future ABT promotion; or to pack up and leave for another company where she’d be welcomed for the superb classicist she is. She’s only 30; she’ll be 31 towards the end of the year, so there’s still time for her to succeed. What is this mania for Kotchekova that makes two major American companies want her so badly? She leaves me cold. Lane is a far finer dancer, and a more lyrical figure on stage. Copeland, on the other hand, is about to turn 33, and with all her past injuries, fractures, plus a plate in her leg, I wonder just how much longer she’ll be able to perform leading roles in 3-act ballets. I won’t be paying to see her any longer, but if I were, I would try to catch her performances over the next two years, while there’s still a chance she might improve, and before the major injuries take hold. And Stella Abrera – thank heaven for Stella Abrera! Now I have a real reason to return to ABT! Hooray for Stella!

Boston will miss Jeffrey Cirio - he's been their 1st cast principal for several years now. and he does it all - beautiful classical dancer and stunning contemporary work - and he's a choreographer. Kudos to ABT for bringing him to New York! Congratulations Jeffrey!

http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/theater-dance/2015/06/30/dancers-jeffrey-cirio-whitney-jensen-leaving-boston-ballet/zBIevCnXDg1TKc6j5MXI7I/story.html?event=event25

Lane now will have to make a major decision about her future: to stay and double her efforts to improve over this disastrous season she’s just had, and hope for a possible future ABT promotion; or to pack up and leave for another company where she’d be welcomed for the superb classicist she is. She’s only 30; she’ll be 31 towards the end of the year, so there’s still time for her to succeed. What is this mania for Kotchekova that makes two major American companies want her so badly? She leaves me cold. Lane is a far finer dancer, and a more lyrical figure on stage. Copeland, on the other hand, is about to turn 33, and with all her past injuries, fractures, plus a plate in her leg, I wonder just how much longer she’ll be able to perform leading roles in 3-act ballets. I won’t be paying to see her any longer, but if I were, I would try to catch her performances over the next two years, while there’s still a chance she might improve, and before the major injuries take hold. And Stella Abrera – thank heaven for Stella Abrera! Now I have a real reason to return to ABT! Hooray for Stella!

I agree with much of this but I don't think Lane had a disastrous season. I saw her Theme and her 2nd attempt at Aurora and enjoyed them both (she was the only one who had to debut Aurora on the met stage). I heard good reports of Les Sylphides and Swan Lake Pas de Trois etc. Far from disaster IMO.

Lane had a spectacular debut in the old version of Sleeping Beauty when she was in her early twenties. I was there and thought it wonderful. The Times critic brushed her off because in his opinion she smiled too much. If you go back and read the review you'll see how she was brushed off. It's clear to me that KM doesn't like her and is not interested in giving her opportunities.

I wonder if the Forster promotion and the Cirio importation were meant, at least in part, as a wake-up call to Hammoudi that he needs to step it up.

I don't know if Hammoudi has it in him to "step it up." I thought he did his best in Swan Lake with Murphy but his emotional portrayal was way ahead of his technique. He had a serious injury not too long ago and that may have held him back as well.

Cirio has done numerous principal roles at Boston which are not listed in his bio in the press release. He has done bravura as well as princely roles, and has danced with Kotchetkova in Vail, as well as Brandt in a gala. He will definitely be missed in Boston.

Wasn't James Whiteside also a Principal at Boston before he came to ABT and did just one year as a soloist before he was promoted to Principal? Could that happen for Cirio also?

Wasn't James Whiteside also a Principal at Boston before he came to ABT and did just one year as a soloist before he was promoted to Principal? Could that happen for Cirio also?

True abut Whiteside I guess it could happen with Cirio. Can't be good for the moral of the home team.

A few more thoughts: I think Brandt really benefited from the stage time that the Bolle and Friends tour allows. Where else can these younger dancers hone their stage craft than actually on a stage. I agree with Faux Pas - I have been up and down about Blaine Hoven over the years but I think this season he really stood out. It looks like he's trimmed down his musculature, toned down his one-time almost platinum hair and overall looks more mature in addition to the improved dancing. Maybe next year.

I agree. He looked much improved this year. I hope he sticks around. He is a bit taller also and could work well as a soloist .

Cirio is a lot younger than Whiteside was when Whiteside left Boston for ABT. Whiteside was in his late twenties at that point. Although he has danced a good amount of principal roles, Cirio is more the age of Trenary and Brandt. He was made a principal at a very young age.

Today's promotions should (hopefully) yield benefits for fans and the company alike. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the big motivators was filling seats at ABT performances. With the promotions of Misty and Stella to the rank of principal, the company fills its two major needs in regards to the roster, a dancer people will pay to see and a dancer people want to see. (Granted the 3 retirements this year also played a big role in terms of $ and roster space). Disappointing that Lane, was not included, but not surprising at all...it seems every one of her opportunities have come out of "obligation" of giving Simkin a partner rather than actually giving HER the opportunity.

So say whatever you want about Misty's track record, but her performances will get butts in those seats, especially audience members who are not "regulars" or normally wouldn't go to a ballet. I'm hoping she doesn't get pushed on the Seo principal track -- where she gets far more than she's ready for...and she gets a chance to develop as an artist and gets comfortable dancing larger roles. I don't doubt that she has talent, but she's going to keep giving sub-par performances if she's asked to do a role before she's ready -- and if she's going to be bringing more people to the ballet, I (for pure selfish reasons) want them to see GOOD ballet.

Stella is a homegrown talent that most ABT fans/regulars -- myself included -- have been waiting to see more often. Her Giselle this season was proof of that, we will fill those seats, we will pay to see her, and more than anything, we've been waiting far too long...since she is in her mid/later 30s now (but had at least a 2 yr hiatus due to injury), she dances with exuberance but a polished maturity and artistry that I'd like to see grace the stage for many more years. I'd imagine her principal role repertoire with the company will expand in the next 2-3? seasons, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is some restraint there in order to ensure her career doesn't get cut short due to injury, etc. I agree that Nikiya and O/O would be fantastic additions for her. She'd be great as Juliet -- but ABT does not/should not be putting that on the schedule that regularly...it'll be interesting to see what she gets since she' a very versatile ballerina.

Side Note: I'm interested to see what direction the company's program goes in for the next few years. Losing Kent, Herrera, and Reyes, gives the company as a whole a chance to introduce "new" works and/or other non-story ballets...

alright, the "trying hard to be subjective" hat is coming off...STELLA!!!!! AHHHHHH!!! IT FINALLY HAPPENED!!!! yahoo.gifclapping.gif

Wait. "Sub par performances"? Asked to do a role she's not ready for? Isn't that why a dancer is promoted in the first place? That they are totally ready to do any role asked and it is assumed said dancer will give a more than acceptable performance. I always thought that was the criteria.

And finally: STELLA!!! STELLA!!! STELLA!!! yahoo.gifflowers.gifthanks.GIFbiggrin.pngrofl.GIF

What a great day! I've been waiting for it for 10 years and feared it would never come. Now we'll be able to see Stella in the many roles we've imagined her in--O/O, Juliet, Nikiya, more Giselles, and many others. And tomorrow--her first ballet as a Principal Dancer--Cinderella!

What a great day! I've been waiting for it for 10 years and feared it would never come. Now we'll be able to see Stella in the many roles we've imagined her in--O/O, Juliet, Nikiya, more Giselles, and many others. And tomorrow--her first ballet as a Principal Dancer--Cinderella!

well sort of... I believe principal status is effective 8/1.... But don't get me wrong... I am one of the yahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gif STELLA!!!!! people too

Misty apparently held a press conference this afternoon. According to the NY Times, in addition to the lead roles she already has performed, she wants the title role in Giselle.

Why in the world would Misty hold a press conference separate than the company? I'm sure that reporters were looking for her to comment but still. Can't she just give a comment or release a statement? In regards to Misty in Giselle, at this stage I would just hope that I don't end up with a ticket for that show!

Misty apparently held a press conference this afternoon. According to the NY Times, in addition to the lead roles she already has performed, she wants the title role in Giselle.

I don't see anything wrong with that. I imagine that most principal ABT women, including Misty, want to dance as many classical roles as possible.