This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Wednesday, July 24

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,446 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:16 PM

A review of Festival del Sole's Ballet Gala  by L. Pierce Carson in The Napa Valley Register.

Festival Executive Producer Charles Letourneau said more than two decades of “research” had gone into uncovering the lost “Suite from Paganini” by Rachmaninoff and Fokine. He said the work was produced several times prior to World War II “and then lost.”

The ballet story line is simple — a composer, violin in hand, finds it difficult to write a work. A Divine Genius swoops in with a gaggle of Divine Spirits to help with inspiration. Composer finishes work, the divine spirits sprawl at his feet and the mists roll in. The end.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,446 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:23 PM

Two reviews of Post:Ballet.

The Huffington Post

Post:Ballet's new, San Francisco season at Yerba Buena Center for the Arts' Lam Research Theater is entitled "Four Plays", a double entendre that suggests we are in for an evening of lighthearted, sexy escapades. On one level that is what we got on opening night. But choreographer Robert Dekkers' mind is like a bullet train, and as we race to keep up with him we realize his dances are not just landscapes of streamlined bodies making pretty shapes, but also witty social commentary.

SF Weekly (blog)

In the company's premiere of field the present shifts, architect Robert Gilson's acrylic sculptures were strung from the ceiling like jellyfish trailing loose tentacles, behind, between, and through which dodged seven dancers in strapless ombre orange unitards adorned with stiff ruffles. At the back of the stage, a projection of pixels, dots, lines, nucleic acids, in the pit below, five violinists buzzed through Matthew Pierce's frenetic score. The effect was overwhelming.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,446 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:27 PM

Photo gallery of the Aspen Santa Fe Ballet.

The Aspen Santa Fe Ballet took to the Saratoga Performing Arts stage Wednesday.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,446 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:29 PM

Sonia Rodriguez cancels an engagement after a back injury.

Ashlee Stawikowski, community relations and outreach at the Brott Music Festival, said 39-year-old Greta Hodgkinson, who boasts an extraordinary dance resumé and was slated to be the replacement, is also not able to perform due to illness.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,446 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:36 PM

A profile of Edwaard Liang by Peter Tonguette in Columbus Monthly.

Ultimately, Liang was a bit too young at 13 to perform in “Watermill,” though he got the chance to appear in another production of it several years later as a member of the corps of New York City Ballet. Before retiring from the company in 2007, he had attained the rank of soloist, but he was already arguably better known for his choreography.

Working with Whelan on a piece, Liang shared memories from his childhood to describe the motions he had in mind for her. “I don’t usually have choreographers who explain why they want you to do this kind of movement,” she says. “It made me feel that much closer to the source of what he wanted. I enjoyed knowing that he had a real reason for each little movement.”

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,446 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:43 PM

An interview with 13-year old dancer Sophie Miklosovic of Oakland. Video.

But, most notable in Miklosovic’s young life so far was winning the title of National Junior Female Outstanding Dancer out of approximately 5,000 girls competing across the United States. After competing in the New York City Dance Alliance’s state competition in Lansing earlier this year, she moved on to the finals in New York City in July. There, she went through eight days and nights of auditions, classes, rehearsals and solo performances judged by some of the elite of the city’s dance scene, such as representatives from American Ballet Theatre and Julliard.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,446 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:41 AM

A photo of the Royal Winnipeg Ballet performing alfresco.

The Royal Winnipeg Ballet's Ballet in the Park, which features dancers from all three divisions of the organization -- the company, professional school and recreational school -- concludes Friday.

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,446 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

A review of a new Blu-Ray of the Royal Ballet in "Romeo and Juliet" by John Sunier for Audiophile Audition.

Dance and theater aspects get equal billing in this version, and the documentary emphasizes the focus which the late MacMillan put on the emotional and theatrical part of the story....

#9 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,446 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:03 AM

A preview of Albano Ballet Summer Dance  2013.

Albano Ballet Summer Dance 2013 presents an eclectic selection of classical and contemporary dance pieces. Joseph Albano, international ballet choreographer and founder/director of the Albano Ballet Company of America, assisted by Julia Frederick, associate director, will feature professional dancers from their Summer Intensive in concert with the Albano Ballet Company.

#10 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,446 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:51 PM

Q&A with Elizabeth Kendall, the author of "Balanchine and the Lost Muse," by Gia Kourlas in TimeOut New York.

Time Out New York: You put together Lidia’s story like a detective. Where did you start?
Elizabeth Kendall:
There was no starting place, except that a very nice Russian immigrant, Valery Golovitser, said, “Oh, I was just in St. Petersburg and I met a curator at the theater museum and she said there’s a Lidia archive, and she will be waiting for you.” I said, “This is wonderful.” I went right over—that was the summer of 2004—and I went to the theater museum [St. Petersburg State Museum of Theatre and Music] and it wasn’t really an archive. It was a bunch of family photographs. That was it. I sat down and I tremblingly described each one, which was totally unnecessary research work. [Laughs] Describing each photograph. That was the beginning. I didn’t know anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):