• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#121 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:57 PM

For those who care.......season 2 is now available on Hulu (perhaps on other internet based services too).

I don't have cable, so I have to wait for a DVD release or a service like Hulu to give me access.  (I'm not sure when season 2 became available; I only look every couple of months).

#122 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,840 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:22 PM

Be of good cheer, non-fans - you won't have "Breaking Pointe" to kick around any more.

I had a lot of problems with the show for obvious reasons but I would rather have had it do well than tank, if only to reward whoever thought a ballet reality show might appeal to a mass audience. That's life.

#123 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:56 PM

I will miss the show.  One can pick it apart, as many have done here, but frankly the criticism here rang hollow to me.....petty even.

I'd like to see any of us work as hard as these dancers did; take the risk of allowing our lives to be on public display as these dancers did; and be as honest as I think everyone involved with the show was.  Easy to sit in our arm chairs and pick at this and that.

Sure, the personal content was like being 20-something...........JESUS, they ARE 20-something!!  Try to remember back when YOU were 20.  How would you look if 1 million people saw YOU at a party when you were 22!!  Some of the dancers were older and dealt with "older" problems.  I'm nearly 69, and I deeply felt the pain of Christiana and Chris (as well as being privileged to see bits of their exquisite dancing).

Sure again, there wasn't enough actual dancing, but so what.  I have NO doubt the producers, directors, and dancers in this series would have loved to show more dancing.  Clearly there were contractual restrictions and other limitations that made such a thing not possible (makes me think of how many times I've heard my local ballet company's director -- Peter Boal at Seattle's PNB -- say with regret: "No, we can't produce a DVD.....it's just too expensive given the royalty and other such payments required."

Sure again and again, I winced a few times at my ripe old age, but overall, I thought the series terrific.  It gave me an insider's view of a ballet company of dedicated people striving to do their best in the art form I love so much.  THANK YOU BALLET WEST.

P.S. What strikes me the most is that such a documentary (OK....reality show if you like) was made at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):