This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Breaking Pointe Season Two

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#76 dancemom101

dancemom101

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:46 AM

the one not chosen landed at Sarasota Ballet.

http://arts.heraldtr...te-in-his-past/

#77 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,407 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:11 AM

Many thanks, dancemom101!

He's joined a wonderful company.

#78 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:13 AM

Joshua Whitehead was offered a second-year apprentice contract on the show, but he is listed on the BW website as a corps member, as is Zachary Prentice.  BW2 dancers are listed immediately below the corps members.  So I surmise apprentices are not designated as such on the BW website.  

#79 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:19 AM

Many thanks, dancemom101!

He's joined a wonderful company.

He sure did!

#80 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,713 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

Jayne, do you know where "the one not chosen" "landed on his feet"? I googled but was not able to find the info. Also, the dancers with the designation of apprentice are listed under corps members on the BW website. Are they full corps members now or do they simply not distinguish the title of apprentice on the website? Anyone know?

Not to toot our own horn, but this information was posted in an article in the Links some time ago. :)

Apart from the occasional article or interview, I don’t do a lot of “research” on the show, preferring in the main to watch it as it comes. It wasn’t all that hard to read the tea leaves on promotions and it was fun to guess. Josh is probably going to die when he hears about bad boy Zach. Sklute was very rough on poor Rex (he needs a company leader and not a drama queen, one gathers) so get it together, Rex. Beckanne, or “Becky-Anne” as Wendy would say, tells us she was unhappy at not being “casted” as Cinderella (and elsewhere the troupe’s hypercorrective tendency with singular personal pronouns is again on display, I fear). I liked Sisk coming in for her meeting armed with notes.

In rehearsal footage, we see Rex struggling with “Cinderella,” emphasis on the struggle, but whether Rex is really having much trouble or the focus on him gasping for breath is for dramatic purposes is a question.

A Ronald sighting with Katie (back in town for a visit) at Beckanne’s party, which made me realize we’ve hardly seen him at all this season. Rex Loves Allison: The Sequel is rearing its ugly head. I’d be happy for them, given the non-supportive stance of Young Dr. Kildare back in Motor City but no, please no…..

#81 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,407 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:47 AM

If Sklute doesn't want drama queens, then his choice between the Ballet West II guys is questionable.

#82 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:49 AM

If Sklute doesn't want drama queens, then his choice between the Ballet West II guys is questionable.

Exactamundo.

I found the contract interviews to be fascinating - just to see how Sklute would handle things. In some ways, Sklute handled the women better than the men, imo. And each time he spoke to the camera after the interview he would invariably say something that would have been better said directly to the dancer. For example, when Sklute says (regarding Rex), "A leading dancer for BW is going to be a leader for the other dancers in my company", he really should have said that to Rex, followed by, "Have you been behaving like a BW leader?" (Or some such thing.) Then Rex would have a better idea of what he needs to work on. Calling Rex an "alarmist" seemed to confuse him more than anything else. And Rex's view of the interview with Sklute was, "He was vague again" (presumably about whether or not he was being promoted - the one thing on Rex's mind). So Rex didn't seem to get why the promotion was in jeopardy. Good thing there's going to be a 2nd interview, except that this 1st interview should have made it clear to Rex just what Sklute was still looking for.

#83 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,407 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:46 AM

Ah, but a leader should know what all of his stakeholders expect of him as if sprung from the head of Zeus, without mentoring, and a leader never gets caught up in any cycle of doubt and anxiety or at least shows it.

[/ sarcasm]

#84 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:10 PM

Ah, but a leader should know what all of his stakeholders expect of him as if sprung from the head of Zeus, without mentoring, and a leader never gets caught up in any cycle of doubt and anxiety or at least shows it.

[/ sarcasm]

And think what a mess Zeus was (or is)!

Typically, for Reality TV, there's a lot of concern with "feelings", but not much emphasis on thinking things through. When asked what he saw for his future at BW, Rex answered that he wanted to be promoted. Well duh. But promotion is not a career, and definitely not a life's calling. Think again Rex!

[His brother remains ensconced in the Corps At SFB. It can be a hard road.]

#85 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,713 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:27 PM

I had the impression that when Sklute referred to drama and alarmism, he wasn't talking about personal style, but the manner in which Rex was handling his injury. (He didn't actually say outright that he couldn't use any Moaning Minnies on board, but the gist was clear enough.) He didn't seem all that vague to me, but I'm not in Rex's position.

Typically, for Reality TV, there's a lot of concern with "feelings",

Not all that typical by any means, depending on the show.

With all this talk of contracts I'd have liked to hear a little something about what kind of benefits and/or pay the dancers receive and how and if those are affected by the company's financial ups and downs. (For example, Ronnie's injury and rehabilitation look costly; are out-of-pocket expenses a problem for him, or Rex? Do they have coverage from elsewhere?) I understand they might not be able to get too specific about this but a general idea would be useful, and an appropriate dose of reality for a reality show.

#86 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:44 PM

With all this talk of contracts I'd have liked to hear a little something about what kind of benefits and/or pay the dancers receive and how and if those are affected by the company's financial ups and downs. (For example, Ronnie's injury and rehabilitation look costly; are out-of-pocket expenses a problem for him, or Rex? Do they have coverage from elsewhere?) I understand they might not be able to get too specific about this but a general idea would be useful, and an appropriate dose of reality for a reality show.

It would be interesting, but...reality? on a reality show?? That's setting an awfully high standard wink1.gif . . .

#87 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,740 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:58 PM

It would be interesting, but...reality? on a reality show?? That's setting an awfully high standard wink1.gif . . .

Ouch!

#88 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:30 AM

Thanks, dirac! In the future must do a better job of perusing the links blushing.gif

#89 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,713 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:01 AM

Just teasing, Barbara.  The Links are nice, but the board needs our sharp-eyed BAers as well. :)

#90 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:02 PM

Nowhere Near Ready
(Ep.205)
Original Air Date: 8.26.13

High/Interesting Points:
Adam Sklute's expression on watching his dancers rehearse Cinderella (and we hear the word "Terrible!" in the audio). We also get treated to Sklute's less-than-thrilled expression after a sequence of Allison DeBona and Rex Tilson playing flirty friends - it isn't actually in response to DeBona/Tilson, but the editor does a quick cut to the next scene with Sklute and Somes watching the rehearsal, and I just thought Sklute's expression mirrored my own feelings so perfectly.

Beckanne Sisk and Katie Martin go on a visit to the Rock School, Philadelphia. A gushy segment, but still of interest.

Less Zach about Zach (but don't worry, he still manages to slip plenty of self-references in).

Low Points:
Christiana Bennett seemingly on the point of a nervous breakdown, and related to that, Chris Ruud plainly overwhelmed by the amount of work it takes to run BW 2, and be a principal dancer.

Dancers plainly losing focus, and rehearsals looking ragged.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):