12 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,040 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

Not enough ballerinas in the UK, says Carlos Acosta.

If the UK can’t produce female stars, we will have to import them. “If you don’t have talent in your own backyard, you must go and find it. Whether it comes from Italy, Nigeria or South America it doesn’t matter. We should do more to look elsewhere and give people a chance to flourish.”

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,040 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

Ballet Arizona moves into a new home later this year.

Arizona Ballet is moving from 11,000 square feet to 54,000 square feet, allowing the organization to combine its rehearsal space, administrative space and production support under one roof. It had been operating in two locations.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,040 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

Gladisa Guadalupe founds the Cleveland Youth Ballet Company with a view to reviving the Cleveland Ballet.

At this point, Guadalupe and the board of the Cleveland School of Dance, which she opened four months after the demise of Cleveland Ballet, know they face a big challenge: raising close to $2 million to get the new Cleveland Ballet off the ground.

But Guadalupe, 50, is determined to see her dream become reality.

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,040 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

A local news feature on a new dance studio in Kearney, Nebraska. Nice pic of the kids learning their port de bras.

“I have 3-year-olds that are saying all the positions. They know that it’s premier, seconde, troisiéme, quatriéme, cinquiéme. … That’s one of the big things that we kind of pride ourselves on, is this,” Simonson said.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,040 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:31 AM

Tacoma City Ballet announces its 2013-14 season schedule.

This season, Tacoma City Ballet’s Artistic Director, Erin Ceragioli, adds “The Tale of the Hard Nut” to “The Nutcracker,” revealing the entire original story of this ever-popular holiday favorite for the very first time.

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,040 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:42 AM

A review of Russian Seasons of the XXI Century by Neil Norman in the Daily Express.

With a company formed from the Kremlin Ballet and guests from the Mariinsky and the Bolshoi, the dancing is of a generally high standard, even if the sets and costumes are circling round the edges.

All eyes were on Xander Parish, the British boy headhunted by the Mariinsky who is rapidly making a name for himself.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,040 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:47 AM

Viengsay Valdes will perform in Mexico.

Invited to the event, opened on July 3, Valdes will perform at the classical and contemporary dance gala, with a repertoire inspired by the first of those two styles.

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,040 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

A dressing room interview with Nikolai Tsiskaridze.Video.

The dancer is also still an artistic force to be reckoned with, provoking wild applause when he appeared last night in Schéhérazade, part of the ‘Russian Seasons’ ballets at London’s Coliseum.

#9 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,040 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:56 AM

A column on visiting Jacob's Pillow by Richard C. Morais for Barron's blog.

Jacob’s Pillow, the annual barnyard blowout of modern dance currently running until Aug. 25, has this sort of ­effect on me. I am not a natural balletomane—my wife and daughter made me one over time—but no summer is now complete without a family outing to the Pillow. There is something deeply moving and intellectually stimulating about dancers from all ­corners of the globe striving, with every ounce of their being, to create something new and authentic and relevant. Invariably, I find myself returning to my desk with renewed energy, inspired to work harder and better in my own small corner of the world.

#10 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,040 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:27 AM

A report from Jacob's Pillow by Janine Parker in The Boston Globe.

With nary a balancé or a classical pirouette to be seen in this triple bill of quirky dances, the high balletic ability of these terrific dancers is nonetheless clear. Jacopo Godani’s “A.U.R.A. (Anarchist Unit Related to Art),” though stuffed with steps from the ballet vocabulary, is almost a parody, the movements purposely distorted. Arabesques are jauntily nonacademic, with hips hiking the leg up as much to the side as to the back; port de bras are angled tensely, fingers gnarled, elbows jutting rather than curving.

#11 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,040 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

A preview of the dance lineup at the St-Sauveur Arts Festival by Victor Swoboda in The Montreal Gazette.

American Ballet Theatre’s Herman Cornejo and Luciana Paris, two Argentines who have been friends since childhood, will dance Twyla Tharp’s Sinatra Suite, four exquisitely designed duets to Frank Sinatra staples: Strangers in the Night, All the Way, That’s Life and My Way.....

#12 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,040 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

A review of Post:Ballet's "Four Plays" by Allan Ulrich in The San Francisco Chronicle.

But here's the problem: Outstanding collaborators propose creative challenges to dancer and choreographer, challenges that were not always met at Yerba Buena Center for the Arts' Lam Research Theater on Thursday in the first evening of "Four Plays," Post: Ballet's fourth home season.

#13 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,040 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:38 PM

Jennifer Kronenberg returns to Queens for a performance at the dance school where she studied as a child.

Jennifer Kronenberg, who is now a principal dancer with the Miami City Ballet, spent years practicing at the Once Upon A Time Dance Studios in Richmond Hill with instructor Teresa Aubel.

“She was such a wonderful woman,” Kronenberg, 37, told the Daily News. “I loved growing up in her school.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):