This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Monday, July 15

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,474 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:45 AM

Alina Cojocaru joins the English National Ballet.

The Evening Standard

The suggestion was reinforced by strong words on Facebook from Cojocaru’s on and off-stage partner Johan Kobborg, who quit at the same time. After his final performance with the Royal Ballet last week, he said of its management “may I never … have to ever meet you again”. Today Cojocaru said in a statement: “Not shy of challenges, I look forward to what the future might bring. Sharing Tamara’s passion for the art form and for artistry, I am excited for what lies ahead.”

The Guardian

Over the past seasons, Cojocaru has been dogged by injury, leading to a reduced performing schedule. Rojo brushed off the injury issue, saying, "It's just something that happens; as dancers we work with our bodies and that is part of who and what we are. Injuries are normal."

Rojo added that "so far" Kobborg has not been lured to the ENB as a guest artist: "He's a very busy man," she said.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,474 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:48 AM

Commentary on Cojocaru's move.

Ismene Brown for The Arts Desk

Why is this happening? Two things, I'd say. One, stars break out much younger now, often due to their own efforts rather than a slow nurturing up inside a big company. Guillem, Cojocaru, Rojo, Osipova, Polunin, Vasiliev - all are self-starters, movers-on, competition-winners, all emerged as stars in their teens, all have made their own rules, defined themselves outside the expected company patterns.

They owe less to their current home companies than their own go-getting......

Judith Mackrell in The Guardian

And it won't just be repertory that these women will be competing for, but partners. The only man in the company who comes close to Cojocaru's technical level is Vadim Muntagirov, and he has nothing like her depth of acting skill. There are other interesting men at more junior level; but if Rojo seriously want to rival the Royal, and show off both her own and Cojocaru's ballerina greatness, she will need to find ways of ramping up the male talent in her company.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,474 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:52 AM

Q&A with Troy Schumacher.

When you are in Saratoga, what does a typical day look like?

I normally try to get up a little earlier than I would in New York City so I can have my coffee on our porch — something I can’t normally do. I’ll go take company class. Peter Martins often teaches our morning technique class in Saratoga, which is a nice change of pace for us. Then, we’ll begin our rehearsals for that week’s ballets. Any chance I get, I’ll call Roosevelt Baths to take a soak or go to the pool. It seems like I’m so busy when I’m in New York that I never get outside, so I try to do that in Saratoga as much as I can. Before a show, I’ll grab an iced coffee and head to the theater to prepare for whatever I’m dancing that evening. After the performance, Ashley Laracey — my fiancée and an NYCB soloist — and I will drive home and I’ll cook dinner. I love to cook and do so frequently in the city, but a grill is a nice thing!

#4 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,474 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:06 AM

Charles Askegard  is the new associate director of Minnesota Dance Theatre.

In a statement released Monday, Askegard said he was "happy and excited" to be coming back to Minneapolis. "I have the highest of hopes for MDT and strongly believe in its future," he said.

MDT's artistic director, Loyce Houlton's daughter Lise Houlton, said she has "stayed close with Chuck. There's a special connection around the history of MDT among some of us who grew up here. Some people forget their pasts, but he has always valued the gifts he received in his training here."

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,474 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

A film will be made of the Royal Winnipeg Ballet's "Moulin Rouge - the Ballet."

The movie, shot in high definition and digital surround sound, is expected to première early next year in Cineplex theatres under the banner of their Front Row Centre Events.

The ballet, which premièred in 2009, is set in the early 1900s in Paris, where a pair of star-crossed lovers seek their destiny at the titular Paris cabaret. It was choreographed by former RWB principal dancer Jorden Morris.

#6 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,474 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:15 AM

An article on the marketing effectiveness of the Ballet West reality show, "Breaking Pointe," by Phil Chan for The Huffington Post.

The icing on the cake for dance advocates is that the show is reaching more young people (with thumbs connected to social media) nationally than any other dance awareness campaign. In theory, the show is successfully reaching a younger demographic, a challenge for all arts organizations. Will other dance companies across the country see their audience engagement increase as well? Time will tell.

I would like to offer the administration of Ballet West a challenge: collect impeccable data for the rest of us.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,474 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:09 PM

A story on Cojocaru's  move to the ENB by Roslyn Sulcas in The New York Times.

The acquisition is a coup for English National Ballet and for Ms. Rojo, often posited as Ms. Cojocaru’s major rival at the Royal Ballet. Ms. Cojocaru’s presence will undoubtedly take some pressure off Ms. Rojo, who is still dancing as well as running English National Ballet, and has until now been its major box-office draw.

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,474 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:10 PM

Another story on the forthcoming film version of "Moulin Rouge - the Ballet."

The movie will premiere in Cineplex Entertainment theatres, as part of their Front Row Centre Events series, in early 2014.

#9 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,474 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:14 PM

Two Russian troupes visit London  this summer.

But this is not the only Russian ballet to figure prominently in the British cultural scene this summer. The Russian Seasons of the 21st Century (Les Saisons Russes du XX1e Siecle) will be joining the Bolshoi in London between July 16 and 20th at the English National Opera's home, the London Coliseum.

Making their highly anticipated return to the Coliseum — where they first performed in 2011 — Les Saisons Russes will perform three programs, a total of six ballets, including the London premiere of Cleopatre; Ida Rubinstein, choreographed by Patrick de Bana; and five of Mikhail Fokine's greatest works: Le Spectre de la Rose, Scheherazade, Chopiniana, Polovtsian Dances and The Firebird.

#10 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,474 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

A report from Jacob's Pillow by Apollinaire Scherr in The Financial Times.

[Brian] Brooks – whose career is taking off this year, with a BAM commission in October and a duet for Wendy Whelan at the Pillow in August – has proven one of the few choreographers to advance the minimalist agenda begun in the 1960s. His dances proceed by strict principles of sequence and accumulation, punctuated by swoops of momentum and plunges of gravity. At his most mesmerising, method and theme coalesce......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):