This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ballet with jokes

Ashton's The Dream is very funny. Puck... the lovers... Bottom as the Donkey...

MacMillan's Elite Syncopations has the comic "tall/short" pas de deux, and his Manon has a drunken solo and pas de deux for Lescaut and his mistress.

David Bintley's Cyrano has some very funny bits in it. Unfortunately not avaiable on video.

I so wish it was available on video. One of the most tear-jerking ballets (as well as very funny) that I can think of!

How about David Bintley's Hobson's Choice - lots of humour throughout.

Or David Nixon's A Midsummer Night's Eve

Or Elite Syncopations?

David Bintley's Cyrano has some very funny bits in it. Unfortunately not avaiable on video.

I so wish it was available on video. One of the most tear-jerking ballets (as well as very funny) that I can think of!

How about David Bintley's Hobson's Choice - lots of humour throughout.

Or David Nixon's A Midsummer Night's Eve

Or Elite Syncopations?

How I wish there were a video of Robert Parker as Cyrano. A fantastic ballet in my opinion. Makes you laugh, makes you cry, sometimes both at once. I hope BRB brings it back into rep soon.

Me too Katherine! After a couple of performances in the first run, when we had become familiar with the score, we realised that the sad music had the same motifs as the music in some of the happier and funnier parts as a result of which we started crying earlier every performance!

Also Eric Gauthier's Ballet 101:

I don't think he made the final sequences using chance procedures, but I wonder what it would have looked like if he did. One of my early teachers used to say that almost any two ballet steps could be combined using plie.

yahoo.gif

Title: The Royal Ballet in A wedding bouquet
at rehearsal
[videorecording]

Publisher:[1969?]
Country of Producing Entity:England
Characteristics: 1 videodisc (NTSC) (35 min.) :,sd., b&w ;,4 3/4 in.
Notes: British Film Institute catalog record lists the performance year as 1969. The New York Public Library information lists the performance year as 1970
British Film Institute's Film & TV database lists the title as: The Royal Ballet in rehearsal: A wedding bouquet
Credits:Photography by Film Service of Edmée Wood.
Performers:Narrator, Robert Helpmann.
Monica Mason (Webster) ; Laura Connor, Suzanna Raymond (two peasant girls) ; Donald Kirkpatrick, Frank Freeman (two peasant boys) ; Deanne Bergsma (Josephine) ; David Drew (Paul) ; Kenneth Mason (John) ; Vyvyan Lorrayne (Violet) ; Brian Shaw (Ernest) ; Rosalind Eyre (Therese) ; Ann Jenner (Julia) ; Alexander Grant (bridegroom) ; Lesley Collier (Pépé) ; Leslie Edwards (Arthur) ; Michael Coleman (guy) ; Vergie Derman, Ria Peri, Betty Kavanagh, Darryl Jaffray (four guests) ; Ronald Plaisted, Christopher Newton (two gendarmes) ; Jennifer Penney (bride) ; Ann Howard, Avril Bergen (bridesmaids).
Event:Filmed in rehearsal with costumes in 1969 or 1970

I saw this many years ago at a gala performance:

http://youtu.be/W-reVhZM78w

Brilliant! tiphat.gif A great example of the pretzel-bending school of choreography. So many of these moves are still with us in new choreography. Especially the lifts and balances that are awkward to get out of. Love the promenade in which Esquival is obliged to place his palm on the top of the ballerina's head as she turns.