This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Greetings from Lima, Peru

First of all I would like to congratulate the Ballet Alert community for the fabulous website. It is highly informative, well written, the content is of quality, large diversity of topics, and the moderators doing an excellent job of maintaining very high standard of discussions. Thank you very much for letting me be a part of it.

I am a 52-year old ex-dancer that trained in several ballet schools in England before joining a London based small touring company called the London City Ballet during the late 70s early 80s. I returned to Lima after that, and for the last fifteen years I have been involved in a number of ways with a medium-sized classical professional company called "Ballet Municipal de Lima". I now intend to take a more active role in the running of the company, so this website will be of much help to me and my colleagues who find communicating in english difficult. I will be able to acquire recent information of what is happening in ballet all over the world, and as a result of the opinions and feedback voiced in your website by ballet enthusiasts all over the world I will be able to enhance my appreciation of ballet performances from the audience's point of view.

Should any member like to know more about the ballet scene in Lima, I will do my best to assist them.

Thank you all very much again, and saludos!

Thank you so much for your kind words, and welcome to Ballet Alert! flowers.gif

We hope you'll tell us about your productions in Lima. My Peruvian friends remember their early ballet lessons in Peru fondly, and I hope you have a great and growing audience for your company. We tend to think towards Europe and forget the long history of ballet in Latin and South America.

!Saludos Horacio! I studied spanish as an adult in Peru in 2010 /2011 and one night on my old fashioned rabbit-ears TV I saw the Ballet Muncipal de Lima perform Nutcracker (Cascanueces). I thought it was very beautifully performed. At the time I was recovering from the altitude sickness in Cusco. If I was in Lima - I would have bought a ticket!

Congratulations on your endeavor and I wish you tremendous success!

Hola Horacio!

I'm a student dancer born in Lima Peru!! Si se puede! jejeje..I moved to the states since I was 8 years old but I visit my Peru every year when possible. I would love to learn more about the ballet scene in Lima, after all I was introduced to my first ballet step en El Colegio Santa Ursula when I was 4 or 5! After dancing in Rome-Italy, now I live in NYC, where I'm dancing at Ballet Academy East, and after many years I decided to go to college in Lund, Sweden. I hope to attend classes there on the side and visit Royal Danish Ballet in Copenhagen (just 45 min from Lund) but in all these journeys I make, I still keep my Peruvian heart very dearly and am proud for all my compatriotas!

I hope to learn more here as a new member as well.

Saludos desde NYC,

Marisol

Marisol, interesting to know that you will go to college in Lund. This is purely a university town - a very old and famous university at that - but I doubt there will be a wide choice of ballet classes there. A better bet would be Malmö, which is Sweden's third largest city and within commuting distance of Lund. I do not know which level you are at, but check out Malmö- Unfortunately I cannot advice you right now, but as I live near Gothenburg which is situated a bit further up the West coast of Sweden I could find out for you. Please don't hesitate to get in touch if you need any help!